Quarter-Final: England v Switzerland

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
In order to believe that England will win this match, you would need to believe that Southgate is a person capable of learning and changing when in reality he's a man who probably doesn't feel safe wanking without a condom.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

In order to believe that England will win this match, you would need to believe that Southgate is a person capable of learning and changing when in reality he's a man who probably doesn't feel safe wanking without a condom.

He didn't even address England's main problems during the Slovakia game. A long throw hail mary and spectacular bicycle kick bailed them out. I don't think they had a shot on target before that. The odds that he'll all of a sudden address all the glaring issues with England are very slim. He didn't even bring on Gordon and/or Watkins when England are crying out for a direct player who'll go in behind. Swiss are clear favourites but you never know in tournament football Southgate's luck might be in.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I will probably end up supporting Xhaka here, since there is more players in England I truly hate...but if they do win, I will be happy for the Arsenal lads.

Though England will really have to probably unrealistically up their game to beat Switzerland here, they are a quality football team!

Riou

Seen many people now starting to push the move to a back 5 here with Saka at LWB, on paper it's not too bad defensively...

Walker-Stones-Konsa
Trent-Rice-Bellingham-Saka
...add another player to their shaky looking backline, get Trent into the team and free up him and Bukayo more...not the worst thing in the world, but what is this attack...

Palmer-Kane-Foden
...literally no pace at all there and considering the Swiss will mainly have the ball, it looks woeful...Akanji will basically be dealing with 3 Peter Crouch's running at him on the break lol!
It really does feel like the media in this country have absolutely no idea how football works sometimes :lol:

England really miss Sterling, him and Bukayo wide of Kane was great balance.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Not an image I want in my brain…

A_G

Lost A Bet
It would actually be an upset if England won this, I have to say. And after what they did at Euro 2021 against France, this Swiss team won’t be intimidated here. I’ll go for a narrow Switzerland win.

Riou

It would actually be an upset if England won this, I have to say. And after what they did at Euro 2021 against France, this Swiss team won’t be intimidated here. I’ll go for a narrow Switzerland win.

Are you trying to "reverse AG Superbru curse" England into the semis here :lol:

A_G

Lost A Bet
Are you trying to "reverse AG Superbru curse" England into the semis here :lol:
Nah, I just haven’t seen a team play this poorly for four games in a tournament then flip the switch. Best way for England to win is an early goal then play on the break, I can’t see them outplaying the Swiss otherwise.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can't even fathom how England with the abundant technical players aren't breaking down their opponents.

It's really easy to point at Southgate cause yeah that's the main issue but why don't Bellingham, Foden and Saka to it upon themselves to break down opponents? any one of them can breakdown defense alone

in the match vs Slovakia, it was Guehi who put the ball on a plate for Bellingham .... how did it come to that?
I don't know what to conclude

Bloodbather

Established Member

I can't even fathom how England with the abundant technical players aren't breaking down their opponents.

It's really easy to point at Southgate cause yeah that's the main issue but why don't Bellingham, Foden and Saka to it upon themselves to break down opponents? any one of them can breakdown defense alone

in the match vs Slovakia, it was Guehi who put the ball on a plate for Bellingham .... how did it come to that?
I don't know what to conclude

Regarding Foden and Saka, they're thrown off by the fact that the system doesn't facilitate their game. They're used to receiving the ball in good spots because the possession and pressing games of their clubs are strong. Here they try to force it and it comes to nothing. They can't *really* break down a well-organized sitting defense on their own, nobody can. You need the pieces to work together.

For Bellingham, he's not really that type of player anyway. He can dribble and pass, but he's not exceptional at either. Not really someone that you give the ball in midfield expect to make things happen. He's a great athlete, defensively solid, great at late arrivals and sniffing out goalscoring opportunities, and progressing the ball.

England can't try to control the midfield and keep recycling the ball to move inch by inch, looking for an opening. They don't have midfielders like that. They need to play a direct offensive style a la Klopp's Liverpool, but they don't. It's either bad slow possession football or sitting deep. They don't press high and hard to catch teams off guard, or even try to get a move going quickly.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Regarding Foden and Saka, they're thrown off by the fact that the system doesn't facilitate their game. They're used to receiving the ball in good spots because the possession and pressing games of their clubs are strong. Here they try to force it and it comes to nothing. They can't *really* break down a well-organized sitting defense on their own, nobody can. You need the pieces to work together.

For Bellingham, he's not really that type of player anyway. He can dribble and pass, but he's not exceptional at either. Not really someone that you give the ball in midfield expect to make things happen. He's a great athlete, defensively solid, great at late arrivals and sniffing out goalscoring opportunities, and progressing the ball.

England can't try to control the midfield and keep recycling the ball to move inch by inch, looking for an opening. They don't have midfielders like that. They need to play a direct offensive style a la Klopp's Liverpool, but they don't. It's either bad slow possession football or sitting deep. They don't press high and hard to catch teams off guard, or even try to get a move going quickly.
An addition to this post, I would get it if England started out pressing high and playing fast and *then* sat deep to protect the score line once they got it. But to not even start with that approach is beyond me. England is good enough attacking wise to risk falling behind. I get why Deschamps does what he does even though it's boring as ****, but I don’t get it with Southgate.

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]

Latest posts

Top Bottom