Quarter-Final: England v Switzerland

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
I don’t care how many times it’s been said but imma say it again anyway.

We would have won the PL last season if Xhaka stayed. And I think we would have won it comfortably.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I don’t care how many times it’s been said but imma say it again anyway.

We would have won the PL last season if Xhaka stayed. And I think we would have won it comfortably.

In an alternative universe we got £40 million from the Saudis for Partey covering the loss even if Xhaka left for free this summer, and be defending champions right now with Granit and Rice dominating every midfield along the way 🙃

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

In an alternative universe we got £40 million from the Saudis for Partey covering the loss even if Xhaka left for free this summer, and be defending champions right now with Granit and Rice dominating every midfield along the way 🙃

Heartbreaking stuff 😢

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
They probably planned it out thoroughly before the shootouts, but I don't understand it when teams send out defenders as the initial takers. I suppose they take great pens in training and/or are considered more capable to deal with the pressure, but I've always felt you should have your best takers go first, or at least players who are more accustomed to shooting on goal such as forwards and/or midfielders.

We saw both Brazil and Switzerland crash out on pens yesterday, with their first takers (Eder Militao and Akanji) both missing, and I also recall Ron Vlaar missing as first taker for the Netherlands against Argentina in the semi-finals of WC 2014 which they lost. Would have definitely expected the likes of Xhaka and Shaqiri to take one before Akanji or Schar (even though the latter scored), unless they were straight up bricking it.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I don't mind it overall. For the PL, I quite like the NBC studio team except for Robbie Mustoe. I've known Robbie Earle and Tim Howard since I was a kid so I enjoy watching them and Rebecca Lowe is a decent presenter. Timmy of course played with Arteta so he's got a bit of a bias towards us that I don't mind at all.

I'm glad we get less of Peter Drury now as I find him extremely annoying and as far as Dixon goes, he's another one of our club legends who irks me being so concerned about appearing impartial that he's overly miserable and critical about Arsenal.

Then for CL coverage, I think CBS with Kate, Thierry, Sherman Klump and Carragher is probably the most entertaining football show in the business.

It's a bit rough for major international tournaments like the COPA and Euro with Fox forcing odious people like Alexi Lalas and Carli Lloyd on us though. That's quite painful. 🤦🏾‍♂️
I hear all of that. Lee does go out of his way to appear impartial. And this Fox pundits are so cringeworthy. Especially Lalas.
My beef with our coverage is that it seems to stop at the final whistle. We get a quick “goal zone” and that’s it. I want coverage like we get of the NFL-we’ll maybe not that nauseatingly in-depth, but I want more.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Really dislike Foden. But if he honestly said he wasn't up for it, I'll give him a little credit. That's way better than taking a half-arsed one that goes into row Z or gets saved.

I’m not sure I can follow your logic here. You saying you rate him because he is owning up to his cowardice?

Thrice

Euro 2024 Superbru Champion 🏆
Really dislike Foden. But if he honestly said he wasn't up for it, I'll give him a little credit. That's way better than taking a half-arsed one that goes into row Z or gets saved.
I agree. Putting the team first. I can respect that. Much better than trying to be the hero when you're not up for it.

It does say a lot about him as a player though. He's not someone you can count on when the going gets tough.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I hear all of that. Lee does go out of his way to appear impartial. And this Fox pundits are so cringeworthy. Especially Lalas.
My beef with our coverage is that it seems to stop at the final whistle. We get a quick “goal zone” and that’s it. I want coverage like we get of the NFL-we’ll maybe not that nauseatingly in-depth, but I want more.
Yeah I think that maybe if the PL continues to do as well as it has, maybe there will be more coverage but it simply isn't as big in America as say basketball or football to where they feel the need to provide more post match coverage. What they're trying to do with that 24 hour network with CBS Golazo is cool but a lot of the personalities on there are kind of cringe and ill-informed so they don't give the best analysis.

BergMan

Leverkusen Ultra
I really don’t get the euphoria that England suddenly played much better. Switzerland were the better side over the 120 minutes.
It took a wonder goal from Saka to get the draw. Tell me one chance England actually created from inside the box. I can’t remember any.

Nunowoolmez

Chairman of the Eduardo Hagn Appreciation Society
I really don’t get the euphoria that England suddenly played much better. Switzerland were the better side over the 120 minutes.
It took a wonder goal from Saka to get the draw. Tell me one chance England actually created from inside the box. I can’t remember any.
It doesn't matter, England won. Get over it pal.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:
England moved from "beyond appalling" to "average" hence the mass celebrating the improvement. I'd be surprised if anyone is really fooled. Hoewever its a cup competition, we are in the good half of the draw and England fans can repeat the mantra that we are peaking at the right time, even if its a tiny peak :cool:

Pretty much the same for France TBH.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
England were at least as good as Switzerland, probably edged overall play. Neither side created many clear cut chances.

England were alright, nothing more than that.

Switzerland are a decent, functional side, that's all.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
They beat the worst Italy team of GDeep’s lifetime and fooled everyone.

Yeah, they're nothing special. Good unit, work hard but there's no exceptional talent there.

How Switzerland always are.

• Applause
Reactions: A_G

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Watched the match in a pub full of England fans. Everyone was absolutely disgusted with what they saw lol about "alright" England were atrocious.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I agree. Putting the team first. I can respect that. Much better than trying to be the hero when you're not up for it.

It does say a lot about him as a player though. He's not someone you can count on when the going gets tough.
Foden's carefully worded statement praises Southgate for putting the best penalty takers on the pitch. He says he would have taken one if he was on, but he hasn't refuted the claims that he asked to be subbed off. The media will gloss over it but as you say, you can't count on him in pressure moments.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]

Latest posts

Top Bottom