• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Racism in Football

Aussie

Established Member
Either the people who are trying to stop the racist chanting at Football games are doing it so they look like hero's or they have no idea what they are doing.

Its a joke. The Tv Add's, Wristbands, t-shirts and constant media coverage on the Tv and in the newspaper are doing nothing but encouraging and daring the culprits to take it to new levels. Its all well and good for those people to do all that to give them a warm fuzzy feeling on the inside but its doing more harm than good.

Does anyone really think a TV Add with Henry and a few other stars asking fans to stop the racist chanting is going to work. Honestly the people causing the trouble are not 5 years old.

Its time the media stops covering it all the time and just lets it go. Have people in the crowd looking for the trouble makers and when they see the trouble makers get security to grab them and give them a life ban from football games.

Im getting sick of the whole thing.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Im sure we all are.

Sometimes the best way to get rid of something such as rascist chants at football fields is to ignore the whole thing. When players come out after a game saying they were furious with people calling him a monkey or whatever, that just makes the next opposition of hostile fans to get on his back and so on and so on.

If the problem worsens, then they should plant people in crowds and start the banning.

Ratinho

Established Member
We (at least most of us) don't have to walk a mile in these guys shoes though, do we?

Remember Coley coming off against Spain, and how shaken and angry he looked, and the way he reacted to Aragones? Maybe it is being the bigger man, ignoring it, but would the same people who are saying ignore it now, be saying we werer brying our heads if we were doing just that?

Aussie

Established Member
I know its hard not to talk back but you just have to put your nut down and forget it.

I played in a team where 15 of the players were aborigines and they would cop it all the time. Most kept there head down and just kept playing football however one game they retaliated and a massive all in brawl occured and the opposing team came off second best. We had to forfeit the next 5 games due to suspensions and ended up costing a spot in the finals.

I know its hard for people like Cole to not get angry and hyped up and speak out about it but its just the reaction the blokes starting the chants want.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Aussie said:
I know its hard not to talk back but you just have to put your nut down and forget it.

I played in a team where 15 of the players were aborigines and they would cop it all the time. Most kept there head down and just kept playing football however one game they retaliated and a massive all in brawl occured and the opposing team came off second best. We had to forfeit the next 5 games due to suspensions and ended up costing a spot in the finals.

I know its hard for people like Cole to not get angry and hyped up and speak out about it but its just the reaction the blokes starting the chants want.

You should've let me know, I would've played. :lol:

But seriously, I agree totally.

Sammer

Established Member
I disagree a bit here Aussie,

sure, the racists minds cannot be changed, but there are kids out there, that are to be influenced by that crap. The message that the campaign has is important for kids. Kids look up to players like Titi, Ronaldinho & Co and them speaking out against what´s happening e.g. in Spain and Italy (in other countries too, of course) is a good thing.

The worst thing in my view is to pretend, that nothing is happening. Stuff is happening. Look at the Spain vs. England game last year.

Of course, this campaign won´t stop racism, but that´s not the point. If something goes wrong, the best way is not to deny it, but to speak up. Simple as that.

You are right about grabbing trouble makers though. Cannot believe that they let the same Semi-Nazis in the stadiums every week...in Rome, in Madrid.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Racsim, racism, racism, its bloody everywhere today.

Reading in the paper this morning, people are now kicking off because there were no black mascots at the England game last night. Seriously, who gives a ****?

MightyArsenal

Who cares? Hmmm gee I dont know... Maybe the kid in the local school that get bullied just because hes a different colour?

:roll:

Of course if your just referring to that one issue about being no black or asain kids. Then I agree totally.

tristan

There was some more racism in the Northern Ireland-Canada friendly today. Bloody Orangemen shouting racist chants at the black Canadian players. 10-man Canada managed to win 1-0, so I'm sure that shut them up a bit (it was a black player who got the goal too), but it's still disgusting. It's the latest fad: racism in football.

EJub

I can see what Aussie is saying in terms of putting a spotlight on racism could provoke or create a backlash by the people who engage in racist chants. Many of these people strike me as those who will never change their minds.

Mark

Established Member
I suppose the more you look for racists, the more you'll find. These players are on such high wages I think they should just carry on playing and show they're bigger than these idiots. I can imagine how difficult it must be, but maybe if it is ignored it will slowly go away. There's not really any way of dealing with it effectively.

Spike

Established Member
With all this campaigning to put an end to Racism, unfortunatly that won't happen, some people are just like that and you can't change them. What we can do is prevent the younger generation from following with the current racists, and hopefully, things should be better in the future.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Sammer said:
I disagree a bit here Aussie,

sure, the racists minds cannot be changed, but there are kids out there, that are to be influenced by that crap. The message that the campaign has is important for kids. Kids look up to players like Titi, Ronaldinho & Co and them speaking out against what´s happening e.g. in Spain and Italy (in other countries too, of course) is a good thing.

this is quite a good point. i'm skeptical about using a high profile media campaign to combat racism because i think its flawed, but you are right about the impact on kids. that can hopefully help to reduce it in the future.

Aussie

Established Member
Sure the campaign might impact on kids but there are better ways to do it than a TV Add stating thats Racism in Football is a massive problems. Get players going to schools and such and spread the message that way.

Im sick of the whole thing. Having it in the news 24/7 is only going to make it worse. Have people in the crowd nabbing the racist ones and give them life bans. Eventually it will stop.

Canuck

Established Member
The campaign now certainly isn't going to change anyones mind who's been set in their ways for 20-30-40yrs.
How does the saying go...a teaspoon of prevention is worth an ounce of treatment. Well I don't think that's exactly the right wording but it's something like that.
If you can keep the kids from latching onto these ideas at a young age, then power too them.
I don't blame you for getting upset with it all though Aussie. Sometimes it seems like they are accomplishing nothing at all, but it's the impact that you never see or hear about that make it worth it.

As far as established racists at football matches...BAN 'EM, BAN 'EM ALL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Seriously folks, it isn't a laughing matter.

Asterix

Established Member
I think the campaign needs to be directed at FIFA and UEFA as well. I agree it's good to have a high profile campaign that may hopefully change attitudes over generations (and that's probably happening anyway). However I think the major governing bodies, particularly in some countries, have not shown sufficient leadership in the campaign.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom