• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Racism.......They thought it was all over.....

alonso14

Established Member
Let me take you back to 1986.....Liverpool play West Brom at Anfield......West Brom are attacking the Kop end.........20 odd thousand people on the standing terrace regale the 3 or 4 opposing coloured faces in the oposition team with "You Black Bastard"...and "Liverpool are white".......

Which of course they were and, with the exception of Howard Gayle, always had been.

Shocked? I wasnt....there has been an undercurrant of racism within working class Scouse culture for decades......Whilst Liverpool has been a multi cultural city for centuries, during the late 70's and early 80s' as recession hit the area harder than most, the ghetto's of Kensington and Toxteth became ghetto-ised, culminating in the riots on 1981...

As it often does, this translated itself onto the football terraces.....Liverpool (and Everton's) support was drawn from working class male youths, brought up in tough area's such as those listed above and places such as Bootle, Huyton, Kirkby and Speke.......and they were predominantly white. opposing sides were vilified as more and more black players came into the top flight, and racist chanting was heard at every game.

Then we signed John Barnes.

At Highbury for his debut, I can remember clearly shouts of abuse aimed at him from Liverpool fans when, in the first few minutes of his debut at his new club, he struggled to adapt. No arguments, no one shouted them down, no-one thought it was strange...Indeed when we signed him there were letters into the Echo (local paper) and Graffiti on the walls of the stadium. Part of this was Digger's percieved reluctance to sign preferring, or so we thought, a move to Italy or indeed to yourselves.

Of course history tells us he went on to be a Liverpool legend, one of the greatest players ever to wear the shirt. 4 or 5 weeks after the Highbury game he was feted by the Kop after a virtuoso performance against QPR (with a certain Mr Seaman in goals) when he turned in one of the greatest individual displays of football I haver been fortunate enough to witness....

No more Monkey noises, no more racist chanting..after all "Liverpool were white" doest fit really does it....

So did it go away? Did everyone suddenly see the light and embrace all of humanity?

did they hell...they shut up because he was our black player....or Milky Way as they called him, black on the outside but white on the inside....

Over the years things have changed for the better, and racist abuse at Liverpool games is now totally unheard of, with the exception of a few quips in a non racist way such as when Jamie Lawrence of Bradford got a cut head and went off for stitches, to return with a white bandage up top...and the Kop singing "There's only pint of Guinness!"

However recently, i have noticed it rearing its ugly head again. last season at Arsenal for instance the Drayton Arms witnessed some unsavoury scenes as young white Liverpool fans decided to aim there anger at the ethnic make up of our support. Unfortunalely our support at home is still very much all white........It has got better over the years, but asian faces for example are noticably few and far between at Anfield. away from home, and especially in London we do get a larger ethnic following. Unfortunatley the neanderthals have started to rally aganint this. I stepped in on that occasion and almost ended up in a fight........Only because I was a "known face" stopped me from being attacked. I witnessed it again at Watford, in the ground....I have written too the club, and if I see them at Anfield I will make it my task to find where there season tickets are and have them ejected for good........The problem being that if you were not known youc ould end up being attacked for standing up agsint this ****. This is how facism works....Bully the decent people until they are too frightened to say anything

I worry though this is becoming an issue again. Certainly the effort for supporters to "reclaim the Kop" is giving some an excuse to push there nasty little views.

I hope I am wrong

BeijingGunner

It's an interesting post and gives much food for thought. Liverpool, on relflection, do seem to have a very very small number of coloured players relative to most other Premiership teams. In the recent past most of their black signings have failed wrechedly, just think of Diouf, Diao, Cissé. Would the lack of support have something to do with this, or was it purely lack of footballing ability?

spartan239

BeijingGunner said:
It's an interesting post and gives much food for thought. Liverpool, on relflection, do seem to have a very very small number of coloured players relative to most other Premiership teams. In the recent past most of their black signings have failed wrechedly, just think of Diouf, Diao, Cissé. Would the lack of support have something to do with this, or was it purely lack of footballing ability?

Surely those are footbaling terms, Diouf is a player that fubars a dressing room, Cissé fell out with Betiez after being played on the right wing so much, Diao well hes just crap. Thought the scousers loved Sissoko though...

On racism on a whole, at least the English FA takes action, unlike the Spanish FA (the Aragones Reyes-Henry qoute, and what he later said about the event) and more revently the Getafe fans and there disgusting chanting at Valencia's Miguel, has any action even been takned about that yet? (apart from the match being stopped)

alonso14

Established Member
I dont thin the no of black players is an issue

but the ethnic make up of our support is

Mostarac

Established Member
alonso14 said:
Let me take you back to 1986.....Liverpool play West Brom at Anfield......West Brom are attacking the Kop end.........20 odd thousand people on the standing terrace regale the 3 or 4 opposing coloured faces in the oposition team with "You Black Bastard"...and "Liverpool are white".......
Which of course they were and, with the exception of Howard Gayle, always had been.
Shocked? I wasnt....there has been an undercurrant of racism within working class Scouse culture for decades......Whilst Liverpool has been a multi cultural city for centuries, during the late 70's and early 80s' as recession hit the area harder than most, the ghetto's of Kensington and Toxteth became ghetto-ised, culminating in the riots on 1981...
As it often does, this translated itself onto the football terraces.....Liverpool (and Everton's) support was drawn from working class male youths, brought up in tough area's such as those listed above and places such as Bootle, Huyton, Kirkby and Speke.......and they were predominantly white. opposing sides were vilified as more and more black players came into the top flight, and racist chanting was heard at every game.
At Highbury for his debut, I can remember clearly shouts of abuse aimed at him from Liverpool fans when, in the first few minutes of his debut at his new club, he struggled to adapt. No arguments, no one shouted them down, no-one thought it was strange...Indeed when we signed him there were letters into the Echo (local paper) and Graffiti on the walls of the stadium. Part of this was Digger's percieved reluctance to sign preferring, or so we thought, a move to Italy or indeed to yourselves.
Of course history tells us he went on to be a Liverpool legend, one of the greatest players ever to wear the shirt. 4 or 5 weeks after the Highbury game he was feted by the Kop after a virtuoso performance against QPR (with a certain Mr Seaman in goals) when he turned in one of the greatest individual displays of football I haver been fortunate enough to witness....
No more Monkey noises, no more racist chanting..after all "Liverpool were white" doest fit really does it....
So did it go away? Did everyone suddenly see the light and embrace all of humanity?
did they hell...they shut up because he was our black player....or Milky Way as they called him, black on the outside but white on the inside....
Over the years things have changed for the better, and racist abuse at Liverpool games is now totally unheard of, with the exception of a few quips in a non racist way such as when Jamie Lawrence of Bradford got a cut head and went off for stitches, to return with a white bandage up top...and the Kop singing "There's only pint of Guinness!"
However recently, i have noticed it rearing its ugly head again. last season at Arsenal for instance the Drayton Arms witnessed some unsavoury scenes as young white Liverpool fans decided to aim there anger at the ethnic make up of our support. Unfortunalely our support at home is still very much all white........It has got better over the years, but asian faces for example are noticably few and far between at Anfield. away from home, and especially in London we do get a larger ethnic following. Unfortunatley the neanderthals have started to rally aganint this. I stepped in on that occasion and almost ended up in a fight........Only because I was a "known face" stopped me from being attacked. I witnessed it again at Watford, in the ground....I have written too the club, and if I see them at Anfield I will make it my task to find where there season tickets are and have them ejected for good........The problem being that if you were not known youc ould end up being attacked for standing up agsint this s**t. This is how facism works....Bully the decent people until they are too frightened to say anything
I worry though this is becoming an issue again. Certainly the effort for supporters to "reclaim the Kop" is giving some an excuse to push there nasty little views.
I hope I am wrong

This is the best post I have read on Arsenal-Mania so far. There should be more supporters like you, mate. I honestly mean that.

Tony Montana

Established Member
alonso14 said:

Interesting history there. Never been to Liverpool myself but are there many black people there? Would love to go to Anfield. What was the general reaction to the black boy Anthony Walker who was killed by Joey Barton's half brother?

Alonso14 said:

I hate it when people say things like this. There's still a small section of Liverpool fans who shout 'Sissoko is so good we consider him white' and, 'Get the niggers out the kop'. Apparantly these chants were made at the Wigan away game according to posters on the redandwhitekop forum. In fact they've had long threads on racism at Anfield. It's as if they are saying you can only be a good player if you're white. Have they never heard of Pele, Eusebio, Henry....oh why bother? :roll:

Alonso14 said:

However recently, i have noticed it rearing its ugly head again. last season at Arsenal for instance the Drayton Arms witnessed some unsavoury scenes as young white Liverpool fans decided to aim there anger at the ethnic make up of our support. Unfortunalely our support at home is still very much all white........It has got better over the years, but asian faces for example are noticably few and far between at Anfield. away from home, and especially in London we do get a larger ethnic following. Unfortunatley the neanderthals have started to rally aganint this. I stepped in on that occasion and almost ended up in a fight........Only because I was a "known face" stopped me from being attacked. I witnessed it again at Watford, in the ground....I have written too the club, and if I see them at Anfield I will make it my task to find where there season tickets are and have them ejected for good........The problem being that if you were not known youc ould end up being attacked for standing up agsint this s**t. This is how facism works....Bully the decent people until they are too frightened to say anything

I hope I am wrong

I've noticed Liverpool don't have that many non-white supporters at Anfield but why is it so unfortunate and why is having more Asian faces necessarily better? As long as the fans at Anfield now are not racist and are willing to accept that anyone of any colour can support Liverpool and go to watch them then that's good enough. There doesn't need to be more ethnic minorities in the stands which is probably what your implying (please correct me if i'm wrong) but when there is more of a demand from them then it's all good and no one should complain. Rather, they should feel proud. All football grounds have a majority of white fans anyway, even Good ol' Arsenal. On the other hand, we have the most black season ticket holders and we've had a sgnificant amount of black players since the mid 80s. Any Arsenal fan that dislikes this given how much success we've had from fielding the black players we've had is a thick ****. Luckily, i've yet to meet one.

alonso14

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
alonso14 said:

Interesting history there. Never been to Liverpool myself but are there many black people there? Would love to go to Anfield. What was the general reaction to the black boy Anthony Walker who was killed by Joey Barton's half brother?

Alonso14 said:

I hate it when people say things like this. There's still a small section of Liverpool fans who shout 'Sissoko is so good we consider him white' and, 'Get the niggers out the kop'. Apparantly these chants were made at the Wigan away game according to posters on the redandwhitekop forum. In fact they've had long threads on racism at Anfield. It's as if they are saying you can only be a good player if you're white. Have they never heard of Pele, Eusebio, Henry....oh why bother? :roll:

Alonso14 said:

I hope I am wrong

I've noticed Liverpool don't have that many non-white supporters at Anfield but why is it so unfortunate and why is having more Asian faces necessarily better? As long as the fans at Anfield now are not racist and are willing to accept that anyone of any colour can support Liverpool and go to watch them then that's good enough. There doesn't need to be more ethnic minorities in the stands which is probably what your implying (please correct me if i'm wrong) but when there is more of a demand from them then it's all good and no one should complain. Rather, they should feel proud. All football grounds have a majority of white fans anyway, even Good ol' Arsenal. On the other hand, we have the most black season ticket holders and we've had a sgnificant amount of black players since the mid 80s. Any Arsenal fan that dislikes this given how much success we've had from fielding the black players we've had is a thick c**t. Luckily, i've yet to meet one.

Ta for your comments

There was shouts at Wigan but I didnt hear them...They were singing "Momo is White" but again I didnt hear it...

The Anthony Walker murder really really shook the city and it was heartening to see and hear the reeaction because it was 100% in its condemnation.......but then how can you react to that?

II have mistook me about Anfield and Asian faces///maybe I didnt make my self very clear.....I think we have supporters from all brackgrounds.....I dont think the crowd at Anfield reflects this, and I wonder wether Asians et all are comfortable coming here

I dont know

I had a couple of blakc mates in the 80's at school who wouldnt go to the match because they were scared

sad

awooga83

Established Member
I must agree that this is a very interesting and inciteful post. I'm quite surprised that you suggest there is still an undertone of racism at Liverpool albeit maybe somewhat more indirect and less in your face kind of way. But the fact you suggest that people joinn in songs rather then some lone voices is something i didn't really realise. Its surprising for many reasons non more so then i would imagine that Liverpool are a big club and as a result have been in Europe and like many other big clubs have many different nationalities in your team who have contributed to your success over the years and so i would least likely expect it at that level of football.

Also your comments on s section of your fans targeting their own support is surprising because i have seen soemtimes that while a group of fans might be racist they i didn't think they would target their own as hypercritical as that sounds just because they were supporting Liverpool. The way you see soem England fans behave abroad.

I can't speak authoritively on Arsenal but in the times i have been to see them as Highbury/emirates i have never heard any such things luckily, although i have only been watching from the mid 90s so attitudes had changed or softned when started going and i have been spared the earlier abuse that may have been given out.

alonso14

Established Member
the people who are being racist are not the ones who travel in europe

Those who do are by far the most liberal of our support

As for targetting there own fans

this has gone on for years not just about race

there is a section of our support who want an all scouse support
They even have a song about "Wools" (wolly backs) ie people from the outlying areas of the North West (Widnes, Runcorn, Warringtong etc)

awooga83

Established Member
Well i am sure Arsenal have similar fans to that in terms of wanting Arsenal fans to be from London or possibly even Islington and considering support from anywhere else not real fans. I was just a little surprised in the form you described it occuring.

alonso14

Established Member
yeah it happens...and it is obviously more disconcerting than aimed at opponents (you could put that down to rivalry or trying to pick on an opponent)

its really really sad

famous no 10

Established Member
alonso14 said:

I hope I am wrong

I was at that game at Highbury, for Barnes's debut...the Arsenal fans were giving him stick {because he didn't sign for us} but the Liverpool fans were far worse, and as you say, monkey noises etc, to their own player...at Viv Andersons debut for England, England fans threw banana skins on the pitch...bad times... I even remember a debate in the media if we should "allow" black players into the England squad.

This really isn't that long ago, and some of those neanderthals like we witnessed at England matches, or the British Movement thugs at Chelsea etc, still sit there, {quietly} in the stands, trying to ignore the Drogbas,Henry's etc in the game.

On the positive side, the English game has progressed and more has been done to stamp out racism at matches in this country than most of the rest of Europe...in much of Eastern Europe and even Spain and Italy it's still prevalent.

Football is a reflection of society, it takes a long time to change and, unfortunately, we will probably always have a few mindless biggots.

I admire you for making a stand...all too often the only thing anyone ever does is moan about the situation, or pretend it no longer exists.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
I was also at Barnes' debut, a few bananas were even thrown I remember.

But over the years I have always got the impression that of the two Liverpool clubs Everton were by far the worst when it comes to racism.

I have always noticed a few black/asian fans at Anfield but never any at Everton. I never knew that Liverpool used to sing "Liverpool is white" but have heard it from Everton many a time.

I thought that it was down to your success over the years, attracting fans from all over and becoming more tolerant, where as Everton seem to be full of white working class scouse lads, as my taxi driver took great delight in telling me in Liverpool last Saturday.

We are lucky to never really have had a major problem with racism at Arsenal. I can hardly remember any, especially in comparison to the other big London clubs.

alonso14

Established Member
Not sure about the banana's......loads of people saw them but I have to admit I didnt.......I am sure that happened...

Everton have had an undercurrent of overt racism running through them......i think they are similar to the eejits who are starting this at our place again, but have been far more vocal.....For instance they got there allocation at Leicester cut because of racism towards some asians that were near them at the old Filbert St

Also, sang at Emile Heskey...."Hey Emile Heskey...ooh ahh...I wanna knoooooww if you'll be my slave"

As for Everton being the club of the people....see there attendance at Woodison for the recent cup tie.....24,000....they were queing to get in that day eh :lol:

Tony Montana

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
thought that it was down to your success over the years, attracting fans from all over and becoming more tolerant, where as Everton seem to be full of white working class scouse lads, as my taxi driver took great delight in telling me in Liverpool last Saturday.

Oh the irony of Anthony Walker being an Evertionian...

LeTallec

Tony Montana said:
Oh the irony of Anthony Walker being an Evertionian...
Anthony Walker was a gooner.. I dont think racism is as much of an issue now at Anfield.. Im not exactly white and go regularly to Liverpool games at home a few aways.. Racism in liverpool is concentrated in the poor areas of the city.. you wont get it in the city centre or any other affluent areas..

alonso14

Established Member
tis true.,...Antony was Arsenal

and Le Tallec is right, the city centre (which is changing beyond belief) is a different place

Latest posts

Top Bottom