• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rafael van der Vaart

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Where do you think he would play though, Clockwork? We've been using 2 CM's ahead of a DM in midfield, neither of which positions suit him. Our attack consists of 2 wide FW, behind a lone CF. Again, two positions that don't suit him either.

patrick42uk

Established Member
VDV seems perfect for one of the CM positions to me. He has also played as a DM in the past, and wide in a front 3 I should add.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
I wouldn't play him as 1 of the DMFs (which he did occasionally for Holland in 4231) in the EPL. He could in Europe if it's a real positional game. Still wouldn't be my choice. His best position/role is off the main striker, like Bergy used to play, but he's pretty versatile, he played very well as striker at Ajax for a while & can play wide. My preferred postion in 4-1-2-3 would be LCM. Think initially he could be cover for RVP & Arshavin (or even Cesc) in the EPL & already is ready for Europe. Think he's talented enough to adapt to the EPL/any league.

On his workrate, wasn't always that impressed with it, but changed for the better a lot at HSV, where he worked his socks off. He'll never be fast, but makes up for that by a very good postional game & loads of ability, most importantly to create chances for others & himself.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
clockwork orange said:
I wouldn't play him as 1 of the DMFs (which he did occasionally for Holland in 4231) in the EPL. He could in Europe if it's a real positional game. Still wouldn't be my choice. His best position/role is off the main striker, like Bergy used to play, but he's pretty versatile, he played very well as striker at Ajax for a while & can play wide. My preferred postion in 4-1-2-3 would be LCM. Think initially he could be cover for RVP & Arshavin (or even Cesc) in the EPL & already is ready for Europe. Think he's talented enough to adapt to the EPL/any league.

On his workrate, wasn't always that impressed with it, but changed for the better a lot at HSV, where he worked his socks off. He'll never be fast, but makes up for that by a very good postional game & loads of ability, most importantly to create chances for others & himself.

spot on.

patrick42uk

Established Member
He looks a bit slimmer from the photos I saw of him from the recent England friendly so obviously that would contribute to him running more.

MAK 14

Established Member
The thing is, with our 4-3-3 we have already got Song and Fabregas definite starters in midfield, and the remaining spot is going to go to one of Nasri, Denilson or Rosicky, depending on who plays best. Do we really need Van Der Vaart to compete with Nasri, Denilson and Rosicky? I can't see him taking Arshavin or Van Persie's spot on the wings either.

However, for £6m, it might be worth it to buy him even if he doesn't get a starting place immediately.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Yep, the way I look at it, is signing him will not address any serious problem, but he 'ld make our team better & it will not be throwing money away, because after the WC he'll be worth a few times as much.

On Nasri, Denilson & Rosicky: VDV is most comparable with Samir & Tomas; Denilson is a different kind of player. Don't think we should count on Rosicky being available & VDV still is better than Nasri, who I rate high too.

KY

Established Member
...probably stating the obvious but he would make the perfect back-up plan to cesc if cesc is out, which might happen more than once or twice if last seasons anything to go by.... better option than anyone we got currently...

Anzac

Established Member
KY said:
...probably stating the obvious but he would make the perfect back-up plan to cesc if cesc is out, which might happen more than once or twice if last seasons anything to go by.... better option than anyone we got currently...

Or maybe even the Iniesta type role to Cesc's Xavi role?

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
Possibly one more defensive signing does not equal van der Vaart in my book...I wouldn't ever bother speculating about how useful he could be...

kamikaze80

Established Member
vdv as a rosicky replacement? i can't imagine he'd be as good defensively as rosicky used to be, but i'll take clockwork's word for it.

number_0

Established Member
We can't keep the ball properly in midfield right now, which causes extra preasure on the defence, with van der vaart competing fo the remaining 2 spots next to song its gonna be him , cesc, nasri, rosicky and diaby.
Not bad.

Illusion

Established Member
Depth is never bad, but we need it defensively.

We're simply not going to go anywhere near VdV, there is nothing in this rumour, he wont cost £6m (especially if we show interest) and he will not be coming here.

We need quality cover in all defensive positions apart from the full backs. I say quality cover rather than cover, because Wenger seems to think 'cover' is enough :)

scytheavatar

Established Member
I think when Song goes to the ACN or if he gets injured our midfield could struggle the way it did last season. So a defensive/semi-defensive midfielder is far more important than a luxury signing like VDV which we absolutely don't need.

number_0

Established Member
I see diaby and denilson as adequate cover, I am saying adequate, because they are not good enough, but can defiently be relied on for 3-4 games, if song is injured or away, we could play 2 of diaby, denilson, ramsey, eboue in the midfield three alongside cesc/whoever to compensate for the defensive presence we are going to miss.
An inteligent player like van der vaalt will work well with cesc, arsha and eduardo, and thats what ultimatly matters, get your best players to unlock their potential.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
kamikaze80 said:
vdv as a rosicky replacement? i can't imagine he'd be as good defensively as rosicky used to be, but i'll take clockwork's word for it.

Vdvaart always worked his arse off. He would be e axcellent squad player or even a starter.

fabo

6.51 / 10
This may as well be in Football Talk. We all know he won't be coming.

I'd flog Diaby and get him in if the prices reported are to be believed - but Arsène has invested too much time in certain players to let them go it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom