• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rafael van der Vaart

Status
Not open for further replies.

longrufus

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
longrufus said:
Diaby played 3 times this week as Cesc and Nasri were both injured and the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere arnt fully ready yet.
Yeah, I know and it's a fair point. I was just being a bit knee-jerk.
Dont get me wrong Klaus, I think Diaby is hopeless, and have said as much for the past 2 seasons, but Wenger thinks otherwise so we're stuck with him. The kid has ability but until he learns how to pass and improves his decision making he should be in the same group as Ramsey and Merida, not quite ready for first team action.

longrufus

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
Diaby played well 3 times last week
Did he really? Putting in a decent performance against Portsmouth, the leagues whipping boys is hardly something to write home about.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
longrufus said:
Klaus Daimler said:
longrufus said:
Diaby played 3 times this week as Cesc and Nasri were both injured and the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere arnt fully ready yet.
Yeah, I know and it's a fair point. I was just being a bit knee-jerk.
Dont get me wrong Klaus, I think Diaby is hopeless, and have said as much for the past 2 seasons, but Wenger thinks otherwise so we're stuck with him. The kid has ability but until he learns how to pass and improves his decision making he should be in the same group as Ramsey and Merida, not quite ready for first team action.
I was just taking the piss out of the knee-jerkers above. I agree with what you're saying though.

flobaba

I rate Diaby. Somehow I have a feeling he's going to be a pivotal player for us this season with his explosive power and bursts from midfield, especially considering our injury record in recent seasons and of course at the very beginning of this one.. He's had two excellent games where he's either helped win the game or at least eased the team's victory, and one where an unfortunate error cost us the game. Hero last week, now villain. I understand our need to win the game versus United to set an early season marker for our fellow title?? competitors, but I thought he had a decent game bar that mishap.

I think Abou's a player who's always felt he has a point to prove (which he does). Despite his shady decision making (which he's improved on in the few games I've seen of him this term), he's never one to let his head drop. I hope he succeeds at Arsenal. Its still early days and 2 decent games out of 3 isn't all that bad really. Give him a break guys. When he's playing well, he's actually quite good.

**** happens. Lets pick ourselves up and move forward with what we've got. Rather than wish for VDV whom we all know is a highly unlikely acquisition.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
longrufus said:
truth_hurts said:
Diaby played well 3 times last week
Did he really? Putting in a decent performance against Portsmouth, the leagues whipping boys is hardly something to write home about.
oring 2 premiership goals from open play is. Will be intersting to see how many other midfielders manage that against the whipping boys! Good performance against a seasoned european side and definately caused united problems. unless your names Lampard or maybe Gerrard you will struggle to find 3 stronger games at the top level from midfield in this league.

longrufus

Established Member
Absolute nonsense, if you honestly believe the only 2 midfielder's better than Diaby this season are Gerrard and Lampard then you haven't got a clue. You don't even have to look outside the Arsenal squad to find 2 better players, Denilson and Song.

truth_hurts

longrufus said:
Absolute nonsense, if you honestly believe the only 2 midfielder's better than Diaby this season are Gerrard and Lampard then you haven't got a clue. You don't even have to look outside the Arsenal squad to find 2 better players, Denilson and Song.

No i'm saying you haven't got a clue as you didn't even get close to the point I was making. Don't undermine 2 premiership goals from midfield just because they away to pompy. I'm saying that the only other premiership midfielders I can see matching this 'easy' feat are possibly Lampard or Gerrard. 3 good games in a row is impressive for any midfielder. You would be stroking your Cesc posters every night if he had performed like Diaby has - own goal or not. Just admit you don't like the guy because he isn't a pretty, technical player. Bet i'm right in guessing you were a huge Hleb fan?

longrufus

Established Member
Diaby was very poor against United, he gave the ball away on countless occasions, sure he got himself into good positions but he didn't do anything with the ball. Without an end product you are not good enough to start for this club. Diaby's pass selection and decision making when off loading the ball is terrible. He scored 2 goals against the current worst team in the league, big deal, one swallow doesnt make a summer.

I was never a big Hleb fan either, for the same reason, didn't score enough goals and didn't make enough assists. However his contribution to our passing game was excellent.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
sorry truth, i hae to go with longrufus on this one.. there's no way Diaby has been in the top 3 or 4 midfielders in the league, let alone the top 3 in the team.. he scored a few goals last year too, but he was sh*t the rest of the time

number_0

Established Member
I personally thought that diaby had a good game, mainly because that is as far as his ceiling goes. I long gave up on the hope of diaby stringing 3 successful passes in a row. Diaby's game is about dribbling, beating players with pace, strength and power, rather than intelligence, teamwork and vision. I think he broke 3-4 obvious counter attacking moves vs man united, but when united had players behind the ball diaby was one of the few who tried on taking on defenders outside their penalty box.
Hes the squarest peg we have in midield in my opinion.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
New unexpected twist: VDV will most likely stay at Real. He informed a reliable pundit, he has been told he's allowed to stay, keep his shirtnumber & intends to fight for his place in the team.

Same story in Dutch:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportwereld.nl/voetbal/buitenlandsvoetbal/3455086/Van_der_Vaart_mag_blijven_bij_Real.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportwereld.nl/voetbal/buite ... _Real.html</a>

Could be great for Holland, don't expect him to get overused, so he'll be fresh for the WC.

nidza7

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
New unexpected twist: VDV will most likely stay at Real. He informed a reliable pundit, he has been told he's allowed to stay, keep his shirtnumber & intends to fight for his place in the team.

Same story in Dutch:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportwereld.nl/voetbal/buitenlandsvoetbal/3455086/Van_der_Vaart_mag_blijven_bij_Real.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportwereld.nl/voetbal/buite ... _Real.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be great for Holland, don't expect him to get overused, so he'll be fresh for the WC.

that has the downside as you alredy know orange.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Agree with that for most players. Doesn't go for VDV. You can see that everytime he comes back from one of his injuries, he immediately starts playing well (he often scored his 1st match or decided it). I'ld rather have him hardly playing, so he can't get injured again.

Would agree if the downside is him not playing for us or footy fans being robbed of watching a great player.

Just got confirmation from a Real fan that this weekend Granero, who played with VDV's 23 in preseason, played with 24.

truth_hurts

longrufus said:
Diaby was very poor against United, he gave the ball away on countless occasions, sure he got himself into good positions but he didn't do anything with the ball. Without an end product you are not good enough to start for this club. Diaby's pass selection and decision making when off loading the ball is terrible. He scored 2 goals against the current worst team in the league, big deal, one swallow doesnt make a summer.

I was never a big Hleb fan either, for the same reason, didn't score enough goals and didn't make enough assists. However his contribution to our passing game was excellent.

Think you and me were watching diffeent games mate! Diaby adds pressence, directness and can get from one end to the other very quickly. If 2 premier league goals and involvement in a fair few of our goals this season isn't end product then i'm not sure what is. USArsenal I didn't make myself very clear I weren't trying to suggest that Diaby is the top 3 midfielders in the league hell no! I was just trying to say bar the 2 players I mentioned you probably won't see a premiership midfielder have 3 strong attacking performances in a row like Diaby has this week. Most fans would be wetting themselves if Cesc had a run of performances like Diaby's last 3. I agree at the moment Cesc, Rosicky and Nasri are easily better than Diaby.

Thought he actually kept his game a bit more simple than usual on saturday.

DOUBLE-YOU

Personally i think the majority of the teams in the premier league would prefer to play against Nasri than Diaby. As mentioned before Diaby has more stature/presence; he can't be bullied on the pitch. One moment which stood out for me in the game was seeing him sloping down the right wing with rooney trying his hardest to catch him up... but was always just too far behind. You won't get that with Nasri or Rosicky.

When teams play against Arsenal, they know we attack centrally, so they congest the middle of the park. Diaby's dribbling ability allows us to find ways through tight situations. Yes his decision making is sometimes wrong or he dwells on the ball too long, but his control in confined areas can be critical in tight matches.

I'd go as far as saying Cesc, Diaby and Song would be our most complete midfield trio because of the differing elements they all possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom