• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Random Football Stuff

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Definition of random, but one of the best international performances from an Arsenal in a World Cup game...

...quality Uruguay team and he was running rings around them, was quality this whole run for Costa Rice (they got the to quarters lol)

Was very much looking forward to getting him in the squad finally after this as he looked a very exciting player, bit like Vela just didn't have the drive to really succeed in a top team/league but did have some skills...still we will always have the summer of 2014 Joel (and FM 15 too!) in our memories!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Really surprised me that this has 39k likes 😮

Seems like it’s a modern day fan thing to hate on players when they’re at your club but big them up when they’re out of the door. I’m included in it but I had time for Pogba tbh. I think he would have balled out under AW.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I sort of get what he’s saying. Football has really gone from being the beautiful game to green field chess. The reason people feel international tournaments were better before and especially had more spectacular players is because the players were more spectacular. Today the top pro’s are physical machines. They ofc have massive talent as well, but there’s a reason the likes of Modric and Kroos stand out as favourites today. Younger players simply can’t touch them talent wise. And with talent I don’t specifically mean dribbling, shooting, etc ability. I mean their understanding of the game. Their vision. Their intelligence. In today’s academy driven world systems and data rule galore. The midfield magicians like Zola, Özil, Pirlo etc disappear in today’s youth football as they don’t necessarily have the physical ability or the drive to compete in a physical sense even though they are much more talented on the ball.

It’s maybe a natural evolution. But **** me it’s not beautiful in the way it used to be.

That’s why Georgia yesterday was a revelation. Even though not as good, they provided a rear view mirror to what football used to be with flair, risk taking and incisive passing even as they were pressed back and trying to get out from under Portugal.

It was better back in the day. I’m getting old. I tore my groin playing with my kids. I’m bitter.

Rant over.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I sort of get what he’s saying. Football has really gone from being the beautiful game to green field chess. The reason people feel international tournaments were better before and especially had more spectacular players is because the players were more spectacular. Today the top pro’s are physical machines. They ofc have massive talent as well, but there’s a reason the likes of Modric and Kroos stand out as favourites today. Younger players simply can’t touch them talent wise. And with talent I don’t specifically mean dribbling, shooting, etc ability. I mean their understanding of the game. Their vision. Their intelligence. In today’s academy driven world systems and data rule galore. The midfield magicians like Zola, Özil, Pirlo etc disappear in today’s youth football as they don’t necessarily have the physical ability or the drive to compete in a physical sense even though they are much more talented on the ball.

It’s maybe a natural evolution. But **** me it’s not beautiful in the way it used to be.

That’s why Georgia yesterday was a revelation. Even though not as good, they provided a rear view mirror to what football used to be with flair, risk taking and incisive passing even as they were pressed back and trying to get out from under Portugal.

It was better back in the day. I’m getting old. I tore my groin playing with my kids. I’m bitter.

Rant over.
I think the pendulum will always swing a bit in terms of the beautiful game vs the tacticool machine. It was the same accusations against West Germany in 1986 or Italy in 1982. Machine football, brutal on the eye etc etc

This isn't really a new debate in my opinion, and I think there is a risk that nostalgia can cloud the issue to a certain extent. I think this will turn again towards more flair and individual technical quality.

As for tearing the groin. John Arne Riise made a comeback in the Norwegian 6th Division. Came on as a sub, tore his groin, scored a pelanty (they then played the Champions League anthem ffs...). So you're in questionable company.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I think the pendulum will always swing a bit in terms of the beautiful game vs the tacticool machine. It was the same accusations against West Germany in 1986 or Italy in 1982. Machine football, brutal on the eye etc etc

This isn't really a new debate in my opinion, and I think there is a risk that nostalgia can cloud the issue to a certain extent. I think this will turn again towards more flair and individual technical quality.

As for tearing the groin. John Arne Riise made a comeback in the Norwegian 6th Division. Came on as a sub, tore his groin, scored a pelanty (they then played the Champions League anthem ffs...). So you're in questionable company.
First of all, lol at the Riise part :lol::lol:

Yeah ofc nostalgia is to some degree clouding here. But there’s definitely a trend away from these, let’s call them flair players. And I do agree this is, as with anything, a pendulum, or cycle if you will. Once this model has become the de facto standard and teams cancel out each other top teams will start to look for something else and it will swing back the other way. Circle of life.

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
Gloucester City AFC started there pre - season campaign last night, beating Longlevens 5 - 1 at home. City fielded a mixture of First Team, Youth, and Trialists. We have made some good signings over the Summer.
Hopefully have a good season in the Southern League Premier, South, after relegation last season, from the National League North.

Screenshot_20240703-073417.png

Screenshot_20240703-074906.png

TornadoTed. Hope Hereford FC are doing ok in the build up to pre - season. Kidderminster Harriers now in the National League North, after there relegation from the National League. Could be your Boxing Day / New Year's Day fixtures, for the upcoming season. Kidderminster now managed by ex Hull Ciity manager, Phil Brown.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]

Latest posts

Top Bottom