• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Random Football Stuff

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Alan Pardew going to manage ADO Den Haag. A very average mid-table side in the Netherlands. :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

source.gif

Reactions: A_G

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Top top man! Never knew he spoke English though ;)

Tbe English I learnt at school in Norway never prepared me for Yorkshire either. Got yelled at for being "snotty" on one of my first days in York. I only strived to be very polite....

We learnt what today would be described as RP English, or even U-RP. Never understood why we were supposed to sound like 1950s BBC...

I've actually found that in English speaking provinces in Canada, that kind of English is difficult for them to understand. Dropping the R seems to be particularly adverse to communication.

In the UK, my problem is more the problem of Steve McClaren in Holland. When you are a non- native speaker, you tend to imitate. So I'll be a poor man's Michael Caine, the next day being an equally poor man's Ian Holloway.

That being said, in these Brexit times, for the years I lived in Yorkshire, and the times I've visited, I never experienced anything untoward for being foreign. Granted as a Scandinavian you are about as hostile as a wet noodle in Britain.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Top top man! Never knew he spoke English though ;)

Tbe English I learnt at school in Norway never prepared me for Yorkshire either. Got yelled at for being "snotty" on one of my first days in York. I only strived to be very polite....

We learnt what today would be described as RP English, or even U-RP. Never understood why we were supposed to sound like 1950s BBC...

I've actually found that in English speaking provinces in Canada, that kind of English is difficult for them to understand. Dropping the R seems to be particularly adverse to communication.

In the UK, my problem is more the problem of Steve McClaren in Holland. When you are a non- native speaker, you tend to imitate. So I'll be a poor man's Michael Caine, the next day being an equally poor man's Ian Holloway.

That being said, in these Brexit times, for the years I lived in Yorkshire, and the times I've visited, I never experienced anything untoward for being foreign. Granted as a Scandinavian you are about as hostile as a wet noodle in Britain.
Ray speaks 'Romford' :lol:

The Norwegian accent comes out nice in English, and I suppose it could sound 'snooty' to Yorkshire folk. Yes, it can sound like a 50's Pathe News bulletin when I think about it :lol:. Completely unoffensive and disarming though. I think the English generally look up to the Scandinavian people--quite literally too, because you're all taller than us.
I think learning a new language and then wondering what you sound like must be a bit of a strange one. I mean, it's great to be understood, but you never know how you are going to sound with your own acoustics. I think I'd be asking people what I sounded like all the time in search of an accent you like the sound of. Probably find myself changing the way I speak on a day to day basis... What a ****ing nightmare! :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...this is a weird tweet :lol:

Top Bottom