• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rank the eras for Strikers?

Shalmaneser V

2010’s

P-E. Aubameyang
R. Lewandowski
L. Suarez
Z. Ibrahimovic
R. van Persie
S. Aguero
K. Benzema
E. Cavani
G. Higuain
H. Kane

2000’s

T. Henry
D. Villa
W. Rooney
H. Larsson
F. Torres
D. Forlan
S. Eto’o
D. Drogba
R. Keane
R. van Nistelrooy
D. Berbatov
M. Owen

1990’s

Ronaldo
Romário
G. Batistuta
D. Suker
A. Shevchenko
J. Klinsmann
G. Weah
A. Shearer
Raul
P. Kluivert
M. Salas

1980’s

M. van Basten
G. Lineker
P. Elkjaer
H. Sanchez
I. Rush
J-P. Papin
E. Butragueño
Careca
P. Rossi
R. Voller

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
1990s > 2000s > 2010s...hard for me to judge the 1980s, as I don't really know how good they were.

Wish I got to watch football properly in the 1990s, such a magical time...2000s were my era though, Thierry Henry :drool:

Last edited:

Corbulo

As someone who has seen all those strikers play I'll have to go with the 90s followed by the 80s, the 00s on the 3rd spot and give the wooden spoon to the 2010s.

The 60s and the 70s with likes of Puskás, Müller, Eusébio, Di Stéfano and Pelé deserve a shout as well. Most of us were in the the groggy, gripping parameters of the uterus, upside down in a woman, while they were scoring goals.

Ronaldo is the best I have ever seen. He was like a wave of electricity, a flaming lava. One moment he was dropping deep and setting up plays, the next moment he was doing capoeira on the sidelines. Ronaldo got the better of almost every legendary defender he faced.

r0Vw6p.gif

GDeep™

League is very weak
Top 10 strikers from each era are probably a similar level. Where the big difference comes is depth, think in the 90’s you were stacked with strikers, every team had two good strikers. Today, you’re struggling for a striker, even if you can spend 100M.

The game has changed obviously, we’ve gone from 2 up top to now the lone striker.

Maybe, the guys in the old days who would’ve become strikers are today being developed to play wide and make their runs from there. In the 90’s Sadio Mane would’ve been a striker I think.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Top 10 strikers from each era are probably a similar level. Where the big difference comes is depth, think in the 90’s you were stacked with strikers, every team had two good strikers. Today, you’re struggling for a striker, even if you can spend 100M.

The game has changed obviously, we’ve gone from 2 up top to now the lone striker.

Maybe, the guys in the old days who would’ve become strikers are today being developed to play wide and make their runs from there. In the 90’s Sadio Mane would’ve been a striker I think.

Playing as a central striker does feel like an older mans game these days, for a youngster to be trained to take limited touches and being patient is difficult, playing as a wide forward where they are likely to touch the ball more is probably more preferable if you have the skillset to do it.

Shalmaneser V

Also this thread is a bit generous to Berbatov and Keane.

Totti and Tevez were twice the player of the above.

Berbatov and Robbie Keane were both class. In terms of quality alone they deserve to be acknowledged.

Totti was a top talent but more of a attacking midfielder/second striker. Same reason I left out the likes of Bergkamp, Baggio, Zola, Del Piero, etc

Tevez is a good shout but was he all that prolific?

Riou

Berbatov and Robbie Keane were both class. In terms of quality alone they deserve to be acknowledged.

Totti was a top talent but more of a attacking midfielder/second striker. Same reason I left out the likes of Bergkamp, Baggio, Zola, Del Piero, etc

Tevez is a good shout but was he all that prolific?

Tevez is better than Robbie Keane, by quite a distance.

Wasn't Berbatov more of a number 10 too?

Shalmaneser V

Tevez is better than Robbie Keane, by quite a distance.

Wasn't Berbatov more of a number 10 too?

Tevez was good but you’re being unfair on Keane I feel.

Berbatov was a striker, he just had the touch and technique of a number 10.

Riou

Tevez was good but you’re being unfair on Keane I feel.

Berbatov was a striker, he just had the touch and technique of a number 10.

Robbie Keane was a very good striker, but Tevez was a great one...can't imagine many people putting Keane above Tevez.

Shalmaneser V

Robbie Keane was a very good striker, but Tevez was a great one...can't imagine many people putting Keane above Tevez.

For me there’s not much between them.

IMO Tevez is never one of the games greats. Top player for his era. Nothing more.

Another advantage he had over Keane is the fact he also always had better players around him.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Don't know why you left out Messi and Ronaldo in the 2010's. If you add those, it's not even a competition anymore. The #1 and #2 all-time players, and they're both strikers. Suarez and arguably Aguero could also compete for the top spot in any decade.

The Messi/Ronaldo rivalry throughout the 2010's will be looked back on as one of the greatest rivalries of all time. It'd be akin to LeBron James playing at the same time as Michael Jordan, on rival teams.

The 2010's would arguably also have 3 players in the top 3 without Messi and Ronaldo:

1. R9
2. Henry
3. Suarez
4. Lewandowski
5. Aguero

And Ibra knocking on the door as well.

So yeah, the 2010's, and it's not close. Closer if you took away the two greatest players ever, but the fact that it's close without those two says everything.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Ronaldo didn't start as a striker but has been for quite a while now. So fair enough. I feel like Messi has never really been a striker, in my mind he always played with Ibrahimovic/Suarez/Eto'o type players or more as a 'false 9'. I guess arguments could be made both ways.

2020's are looking quite grim so far. Lot of the 2010s top strikers are coming to the end of their career and not all that much behind them. Mbappe could become a striker, Haaland seems like a top prospect, perhaps the likes of Werner, Martinez and Jesus could continue to develop and become top players. Slim pickings, though. All good strikers are getting old.

Shalmaneser V

Should have seen him when he was carrying West Ham out of relegation

He'll probably go down as one of the most underrated strikers. It's a joke comparing him to Robbie Keane considering what he has shown.

Cmon he scored a grand total of 7 goals that season. A few them were hugely important but let’s not make out he was this phenomenon for West Ham.

Maybe I am overrating Tevez a tad but I honestly think you’re doing the same with Keane.

Shalmaneser V

Don't know why you left out Messi and Ronaldo in the 2010's. If you add those, it's not even a competition anymore. The #1 and #2 all-time players, and they're both strikers. Suarez and arguably Aguero could also compete for the top spot in any decade.

The Messi/Ronaldo rivalry throughout the 2010's will be looked back on as one of the greatest rivalries of all time. It'd be akin to LeBron James playing at the same time as Michael Jordan, on rival teams.

The 2010's would arguably also have 3 players in the top 3 without Messi and Ronaldo:

1. R9
2. Henry
3. Suarez
4. Lewandowski
5. Aguero

And Ibra knocking on the door as well.

So yeah, the 2010's, and it's not close. Closer if you took away the two greatest players ever, but the fact that it's close without those two says everything.

Messi and Ronaldo are not Strikers. They’ve never really been Strikers. Ronaldo has moved more centrally at Juve and the Portuguese NT in the last couple of years but even then it’s not really been his set position as often times he’s rotated back outside to accommodate Higuain up top.

And cmon R9 and Henry in the 2010s? Seriously?

R9 was a complete shadow of his former self by then and retired at the very start of the decade. Henry spent 2010s playing in MLS.

The list is about which decades the players were in their pomp.

Shalmaneser V

Ronaldo didn't start as a striker but has been for quite a while now. So fair enough. I feel like Messi has never really been a striker, in my mind he always played with Ibrahimovic/Suarez/Eto'o type players or more as a 'false 9'. I guess arguments could be made both ways.

2020's are looking quite grim so far. Lot of the 2010s top strikers are coming to the end of their career and not all that much behind them. Mbappe could become a striker, Haaland seems like a top prospect, perhaps the likes of Werner, Martinez and Jesus could continue to develop and become top players. Slim pickings, though. All good strikers are getting old.

Ronaldo never really played as Striker for Sporting or Man Utd. At Madrid it was usually Higuain and Benzema with occasionally Javier Hernandez and Adebayor filling in. Even half his appearances with Juve have featured him starting on the left.

Latest posts

Top Bottom