• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,468,091

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Ceballos for Ramsey . . . probably weakens us and he’s only on loan. Saliba is for the future and doesn’t figure this year. And young Martinelli is bit of a punt and might be better than our own youth forwards. So I’m discounting those for this season in terms of improving our team.

So where is the upgrade on last season . . Pepe. He strengthens our front line, but we scored 73 goals last season more than Sp**s and Chelsea. It wasn’t our problem. Will he help our attack and be an upgrade on Iwobi, Mkhi . . he should be, he’s a proper winger but as yet unproven in the Prem and may take a while to bed in. He’ll add some balance for sure. All will revealed.

But wondering who in our management watched the team last season and thought, “You know what, our captain wants to leave, Mustafi is a mess, Sokratis is very rash, Holding has had a major injury, Kola is a terrible defender, Mavropanos is always injured, Chambers is 24 and hasn’t broken through yet . . . So let’s buy a winger and an 18yr old forward’.

Unless we buy a CB and LB, this window is a 5 at best. Liverpool invested heavily in a tried and tested EPL CB and it paid off. United have done the same this season. Both having problems with their defences. We’ve bought a winger.
The thing you misunderstand is that we didn’t replace Ramsey, we replaced Cazorla with Cabellos.

As for our attack, we basically had two guys who scored or else we wouldn’t . There was no width, no pace whatsoever. Predictable, easy to defend.

As for CB, if you rate Mcguire as a great CB then nobody should take your opinion seriously.
There's no VVD to buy out there. Rather improve the attack which you can convincingly than to waste money on some above average CB.

Hexagon9

The fact remains that our CB issues have not been addressed for this year. Even if we get Tierney and Bellerin shows improvement in his defensive work, we’re still going to concede daft goals due to an inadequate central defence.

Feels like we’re fiddling whilst Rome will burn again.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Had Toby Alderweireld been 2 years younger, I would have loved it if we activated his £25m release clause earlier in the window.

That would have been some coup and worth it for the Sp**s fans reactions alone but at 30, I’d pass especially with Sokratis already here.

Dj_sds -

Ceballos for Ramsey . . . probably weakens us and he’s only on loan. Saliba is for the future and doesn’t figure this year. And young Martinelli is bit of a punt and might be better than our own youth forwards. So I’m discounting those for this season in terms of improving our team.

So where is the upgrade on last season . . Pepe. He strengthens our front line, but we scored 73 goals last season more than Sp**s and Chelsea. It wasn’t our problem. Will he help our attack and be an upgrade on Iwobi, Mkhi . . he should be, he’s a proper winger but as yet unproven in the Prem and may take a while to bed in. He’ll add some balance for sure. All will revealed.

But wondering who in our management watched the team last season and thought, “You know what, our captain wants to leave, Mustafi is a mess, Sokratis is very rash, Holding has had a major injury, Kola is a terrible defender, Mavropanos is always injured, Chambers is 24 and hasn’t broken through yet . . . So let’s buy a winger and an 18yr old forward’.

Unless we buy a CB and LB, this window is a 5 at best. Liverpool invested heavily in a tried and tested EPL CB and it paid off. United have done the same this season. Both having problems with their defences. We’ve bought a winger.

Your simplistic views on football continue to amaze me.

ChefMan21

Agree, but the Tierney saga is becoming unacceptable now. The worst position of last season probably in terms of defensive stability, if Mustafi wasn't on the field for us.

You cannot play poker until deadline day for that. The backup option has also to be of similar quality and 100% agreed, if you gamble around like that.
We need at least one defensive player, that being Tierney as he appears to be the only one on the cards at the moment. Tierney and Monreal can also play CB if there's an injury crisis (not ideal), so that might also be feeding into their thinking as to whether we sign a CB. Think if Kos goes we'll have a new CB at the club (loan?), but if he stays...

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Nothing wrong with arrogance unless you lose respect for others.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Pepe is key.

The total goals might have been high but attack as it was not sustainable. Conversion rate abnormally high, Aub/Lacazette only really played well together from the start in a handful of games & we struggle away from home.

190406-daily-telegrap-arsenal-shot-conversion-rate-2.jpg

TornadoTed

Established Member
While I am excited and delighted with business so far our defence still frightens the life out of me. I have faith that we will bring in Tierney and a central defender next week but we won't have our first choice defence available for the first 2 months of the season which is a worry. I hope our current sorry bunch can surprise me until Bellerin, Holding and Tierney are match fit.

I'm not particularly looking forward to Almiron Joelinton and Saint-Maxim coming at us next week and we will face much better than them.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Your opinions are worrying though. Thinking we can do a Liverpool whilst in the Europa league. When what Liverpool actually did was first sign a winger and a left back to get back into the CL.
You’re happy to get the attack right and then address the defence. I’d rather address the defence and then tweak the attack. I likeEmery, but he won’t get another chance if he ****s up this year.

Anyway, if we don’t sort out the defence this season, we’ll have to see if the gamble pays off.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You’re happy to get the attack right and then address the defence. I’d rather address the defence and then tweak the attack. I likeEmery, but he won’t get another chance if he ****s up this year.

Anyway, if we don’t sort out the defence this season, we’ll have to see if the gamble pays off.

It’s not just about addressing the defence. It’s about addressing the defence properly. We don’t want another Mustafi signing and then to be lumbered with them.

Tierney would be addressing the defence properly. CB wise it’s tough out there, Upemacano would be addressing the CB issue properly.

Just like with the attack, addressing it properly is important. We could’ve got Fraser in early but we waited for the right option.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Pepe is key.

The total goals might have been high but attack as it was not sustainable. Conversion rate abnormally high, Aub/Lacazette only really played well together from the start in a handful of games & we struggle away from home.

190406-daily-telegrap-arsenal-shot-conversion-rate-2.jpg
Nobody’s questioning that.

But if you told 100 pundits at the end of our season that Arsenal could spend £70m. In which positions would they advocate that Arsenal scouts start their intense search?

FluffyDoozi

The fact remains that our CB issues have not been addressed for this year. Even if we get Tierney and Bellerin shows improvement in his defensive work, we’re still going to concede daft goals due to an inadequate central defence.

Feels like we’re fiddling whilst Rome will burn again.
We don't have the funds to go buy a Konate right now. We'll buy a top centre back next year to partner Saliba. Think that's plan and I am totally on board with it. If we can get one on loan it would patch things up until next summer but one thing we shouldn't do is get decent-good defenders, it has to be top class or bust otherwise we'd be with Sokratis/Gabriel level signings wouldn't really improve us and will be hard to move on.

We definitely needed a new winger who can chip in with goals. We were very pedestrian going forward and relied way too heavily on Auba and Laca's finishing. If Pepe gets us a few more points in games away from home, he'd make more impact than a Sokratis/Schar type centre back we'd sign right now.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It’s not just about addressing the defence. It’s about addressing the defence properly. We don’t want another Mustafi signing and then to be lumbered with them.

Tierney would be addressing the defence properly. CB wise it’s tough out there, Upemacano would be addressing the CB issue properly.

Just like with the attack, addressing it properly is important. We could’ve got Fraser in early but we waited for the right option.
There is no certainty in the transfer market. Even the best managers buy a dud for a mountain of money, like Di Maria for United. It happens. Pepe may turn out to be the same, who knows? You can never say that an area has been properly addressed.

Our mistake with Mustafi is not a reason to stop looking for potential CB gems in the transfer market.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Nobody’s questioning that.

But if you told 100 pundits at the end of our season that Arsenal could spend £70m. In which positions would they advocate that Arsenal scouts start their intense search?
Pundits just go with the lazy narrative... its the same when you look on Redcafe, Rawk etc talk about us. Sure our defence needs to be improved as does the midfield but for me pace & width the most lacking from 18/19.

A true wide pace threat will hopefully not allow opposition not to over-commit or bully the midfield away from home to the same degree. If the midfield is able to have more influence on games the defence in turn exposed less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom