• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,468,101

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I don't think that he is too old at all. Perhaps he doesn't play a full season like the younger guys, but 20 good Diego Godin games is better than... well... pretty much all the centre backs on Earth.

He's not old at all, he's just a dead man walking.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
No thank you to godin especially in such a harsh league that is the prem.

I’m seeing our budget with CL will be closer to 100m. It s imperative we win that. Not just because of the financial implications but because of the level of player we can sign with CL.

I think them saying we have a £40m budget is so loose. That’s not including player sales for starters and I expect a lot of player sales.

Djene would cost 13.5m apparently. I think that is a great signing but only if we’re playing a 3 back. Not sure it’s wise to play him in a two in the PL.

Get CL football and we’ll be able to push forward at a faster rate. No CL football = struggling to get into the top 4 again. Simple.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don't think that he is too old at all. Perhaps he doesn't play a full season like the younger guys, but 20 good Diego Godin games is better than... well... pretty much all the centre backs on Earth.

His legs have completely gone though, he struggles to get a jump like he used to.

Think a full World Cup before this season did him in.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

No thank you to godin especially in such a harsh league that is the prem.

I’m seeing our budget with CL will be closer to 100m. It s imperative we win that. Not just because of the financial implications but because of the level of player we can sign with CL.

I think them saying we have a £40m budget is so loose. That’s not including player sales for starters and I expect a lot of player sales.

Djene would cost 13.5m apparently. I think that is a great signing but only if we’re playing a 3 back. Not sure it’s wise to play him in a two in the PL.

Get CL football and we’ll be able to push forward at a faster rate. No CL football = struggling to get into the top 4 again. Simple.

Djene 13.5 million? Where is that from? Does he have release clause? Isn't it a nobrainer with that sum, if he can also play RB?

I think someone said it well that we might need to mostly stick to a back three with our current squad, especially if no CL money.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Godin in a high line would be hilarious viewing. Even in his prime he would have struggled, he's literally a deep block CB and that's it. He's lucky he played for a club and a national team which emphasizes heavily of the defensive side of the game above all else.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon did a piece last year explaining the difference between the cash budget and what they could actually spend in installments. It's all a lot more complicated than just throwing a figure out there.

It should also be noted that in the clip after Ornstein said "it looks like" the budget will be £40 million if Arsenal is in the Europa League and "substantially higher" if they're in the Champions League, he added "they also have new revenue streams coming in with the Adidas kit deal." That deal alone is worth an extra £30 million per season over the next five years. Emirates is kicking in another £10 million per season for the shirt sponsorship. That's £40 million in new revenue right there.

Also, watching the video clips leads me to suspect more than ever that Ornstein's source is no longer at the club. He sounds as though he's just repeating what he's read in the papers. "It looks like" is a pretty weak declaration of the budget to begin with. Then, in the clip where he's talking about potential transfer targets, he's just reading off a list and actually names Jeremy Wilson as a source. Then he wasn't sure how to pronounce Djene's name. Had he been talking to someone inside the club about the player, he probably would have known how to pronounce it.

So I won't get too excited about what anyone says about the budget. I'll be content to wait and see how it all plays out. The only thing I know for sure is that they will have more to spend if they get back into the Champions League.

Quality post and some sharp observations on your part.

I also suspect Ornstein isn’t in the know as he was in previous years, his inactivity during last Summer was very telling imo.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon did a piece last year explaining the difference between the cash budget and what they could actually spend in installments. It's all a lot more complicated than just throwing a figure out there.

It should also be noted that in the clip after Ornstein said "it looks like" the budget will be £40 million if Arsenal is in the Europa League and "substantially higher" if they're in the Champions League, he added "they also have new revenue streams coming in with the Adidas kit deal." That deal alone is worth an extra £30 million per season over the next five years. Emirates is kicking in another £10 million per season for the shirt sponsorship. That's £40 million in new revenue right there.

Also, watching the video clips leads me to suspect more than ever that Ornstein's source is no longer at the club. He sounds as though he's just repeating what he's read in the papers. "It looks like" is a pretty weak declaration of the budget to begin with. Then, in the clip where he's talking about potential transfer targets, he's just reading off a list and actually names Jeremy Wilson as a source. Then he wasn't sure how to pronounce Djene's name. Had he been talking to someone inside the club about the player, he probably would have known how to pronounce it.

So I won't get too excited about what anyone says about the budget. I'll be content to wait and see how it all plays out. The only thing I know for sure is that they will have more to spend if they get back into the Champions League.

How sure are you about those 40 millions per season sponsorship deals?

If last year we had 70 million pounds, and now get those 40, its 110 million pounds total. Any reasons we would have less than last year's 70 million?

Now we also have freeing wages so those should'nt be a problem. Cech on huge wage as 2nd keeper, Ramsey's wage goes to replacement, Jenkinson on "huge" wage out, Welbeck as injury prone player getting replaced. Lichsteiner as bad performer out.

Also player sales 10 million from Elneny (who can be replaced by Willock or Chambers) and 15-20 million from Mustafi for example.

That would be 120 million pounds budget.

ChefMan21

Godin in a high line would be hilarious viewing. Even in his prime he would have struggled, he's literally a deep block CB and that's it. He's lucky he played for a club and a national team which emphasizes heavily of the defensive side of the game above all else.
Building a team around a good defence seems to have gotten clubs a lot further than it has done playing Wengerball?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Building a team around a good defence seems to have gotten clubs a lot further than it has done playing Wengerball?

It's not just Wengerball tho, there's very few top level teams that play like Atletico do, besides the Serie A sides where I assume he'll end up. Liverpool and City both play extremely high line as do Sp**s and Chelsea now under Sarri. Real and Barca don't play deep blocks.

For me to be a modern CB you need to be quick/mobile as well as good on the ball. I believe Godin gets exposed in most of those teams I've mentioned due to his limitations.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Would you take Rabiot for free & for same wages as Ramsey would have been? Whatever that is? He is less injury prone I think.
Given Rabiot's age, he will definitely be a good buy, even at that salary. With many other clubs already eyeing him, one can only dream.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It's not just Wengerball tho, there's very few top level teams that play like Atletico do, besides the Serie A sides where I assume he'll end up. Liverpool and City both play extremely high line as do Sp**s and Chelsea now under Sarri. Real and Barca don't play deep blocks.

For me to be a modern CB you need to be quick/mobile as well as good on the ball. I believe Godin gets exposed in most of those teams I've mentioned due to his limitations.

He would now but he’d have been quality for most teams. He might not be the best at playing out but van Dijk and Koulibaly have shown it’s all about actual defending.

Even withstanding bias he was still the best CB in the world for me a few years ago, had amazing instints. Could read everything.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Wonder if Ornstein will get same amount of death threats for speaking the truth like I when I said it would be 40 M earlier this year.

Anyway the haters will come out in full force saying this is just tactict, that we would never tell what we have to spend, blah blah. The truth is that with sales we will spend around 65 net I think.
I remember wishing people would send me death threats when I said we should consider selling Laca because we'll have banter tier budget. Instead they just laughed, well they aren't laughing anymore.

Reactions: A_G

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
How sure are you about those 40 millions per season sponsorship deals?

If last year we had 70 million pounds, and now get those 40, its 110 million pounds total. Any reasons we would have less than last year's 70 million?

Now we also have freeing wages so those should'nt be a problem. Cech on huge wage as 2nd keeper, Ramsey's wage goes to replacement, Jenkinson on "huge" wage out, Welbeck as injury prone player getting replaced. Lichsteiner as bad performer out.

Also player sales 10 million from Elneny (who can be replaced by Willock or Chambers) and 15-20 million from Mustafi for example.

That would be 120 million pounds budget.

They were widely reported.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/arsenal/...rm-adidas-sponsorship-deal-worth-60m-per-year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ee-200m-shirt-sponsorship-deal-emirates-2024/

But I don't think you can necessarily just tack it onto last year's spending. It's more complicated than that. For one thing, Arsenal might not turn a profit this season for the first time since 2002. It will surely be lower. And there are other things to factor in. But between the sponsorship deals, wages coming off the books and their intention to sell off some players, they should have some money to spend -- especially if they make it back into the Champions League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom