• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ray Parlour (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste

Parlour to Boro?

Hey guys this is my first post but expect to see more of me!

Tonights Hartlepool Mail says "Middlesbrough look set to raid Arsenal for midfielder Ray Parlour after the former England international was made surplus to requirements at Highbury" goes onto say that Steve McClaren has already spoken to Arsène Wenger and a deal is expected to be done after he completeion of the signing of Mark Viduka.

Just wondering what you guys think and if theres any truth in the matter. I personally am an admirer of Parlour, playing for the club since he was a schoolboy. He is not a first team regular but when he does play he adds depth to the squad and is a player Arsène can rely on, he is 31 but can still do the job, any ideas please reply!

Stephen Elliott

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Ray wont leave... he is a good "energy" player... not the most skill, but runs thru people when we need a kick in the arse....

a couple years ago everyone though he was going to West Ham (or was it Villa?)... he was still at Arsenal that year.....

marhes26

NO!! Parlour has to stay!! He's only one of the few english players with have left and he really loves the club and gives 100%.Not only that but he was the funniest player at the parade!! :lol:

calvinngai88

Ray Parlour is a hard tackling player. Arsenal can't afford to lose him unless Yaya comes. Parlour acts as a backup if Vieira is injured or suspended. Gilberto looks more of the priority backup but he doesn't have the hard edge on opponents to slide with fiery.

Ak

even if yaya comes, that doesnt mean ray should go. i mean kolo said that having keown helping him, is part of the reason fo his success this season. yaya maybe a great talent, but having ray aswell aint gonna do him any harm. Parlour is a legend and should neva be sold.

kanuuu

Established Member
Ray must stay, we need to keep hold of the few English players left, ray did really well when Vieira was injured and stood in as captain.

gooner3

how many people here have seen yaya toure actually play? If he is a player equal to kolo's ability then fine would love to see him in a Arsenal shirt but remember you cant buy players on hearsay
i agree and yaya isnt a proven player where as parlour is

Gunner4life09

don't get me wrong i love ray parlour but if we could get a better and certainly younger replacement for him why not sell? he's passed his prime and only made a few appearances for arsenal last season.

ste

If Ray was to go then would Pennant take his place? He had an on off season at leeds last year only scoring the one goal against Chelskum (which was amazing) maybe more first team appaarances alongside the likes of Viera and Henry will bring out that class we know he has. The only thing i know about yaya is he on was on trial last year and didnt get a contract but i would garuntee theyd be twice what the neville brothers are :)

TRUE GUNNER

why would we let parlour go, he has been a major part of our team for the last 10 years. And why is parlour gona leave a team like arsenal where hes been since a little boy to join mclarens jokers, i dont think parlour wants to get bit 4-1 as middlesborough always do against us.

He also gets quite alot of games for us so he cant complain hes getting no games.

You cant let players like parlour go because these players are arsenal through and through, he runs like hell every match. Ok he might not be the most talented footballer but he does a great job, hes a simple player who doesnt take to many risks and is a unsung hero.

lewdikris

Established Member
Maybe the real point about Ray is - who else becomes captain if Paddy's out? We're not a team full of vocal leaders on the pitch... Dennis stood in at Leicester last year, but who else is there?

Kolo's the next Arsenal captain, but i don't know if Wenger would go for him yet...

KingReyes

Established Member
lewdikris said:
Maybe the real point about Ray is - who else becomes captain if Paddy's out? We're not a team full of vocal leaders on the pitch... Dennis stood in at Leicester last year, but who else is there?

Kolo's the next Arsenal captain, but i don't know if Wenger would go for him yet...

I feel Sol will be captain if Paddy's out. Agree that Kolo would do a good job and also Ashley.

TB*Gooner*

Sol and Thierry could be vice captain but I hope we keep Ray til the end of his career. His soul belongs at highbury. Let's not mess with that :wink:

Let's not forget that he's a decent player still too.

Asterix

Established Member
Ray should stay. He embodies Arsenal, he has great team spirit, he's a madman who will kick anything that moves, he can score great goals, and he's good value for the end of year DVD - see his golfing exploits. Oh dear.

Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren is poised to add Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour to his squad after the two clubs agreed terms.

Ray Parlour tackles new teammate Juninho. (AdamDavy/Empics)

The 31-year-old England international is ready to complete a move to Teesside on a three-year contract for a fee believed to be in the region of £1.7million, after undergoing a medical.

He will become Boro's fourth signing of the summer, following Michael Reiziger, Mark Viduka and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink into the Riverside Stadium as Boro prepare for their first ever European campaign.

'Middlesbrough and Arsenal have agreed a deal,' Parlour's agent Steve Kutner told the Press Association. 'It pays Arsenal a substantial amount subject to appearances and Ray is taking a substantial pay cut in return for signing a three-year contract.

'He's excited about playing for Middlesbrough in Europe next season and very happy to extend his career because he only had one year left (on his contract) at Arsenal.'

Romford-born Parlour joined Arsenal as a trainee and signed his first professional contract at Highbury in March 1991.

He has two Premiership titles to his name, four FA Cup winners' medals and tasted glory in both the League Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup during his time with the Gunners.

However, Parlour has found himself increasingly on the fringes or Arsène Wenger's side, starting 25 games and appearing in a further 10 as a substitute last season, but getting the nod only six times in the final 22 matches of last season.

McClaren turned to Parlour after failing to persuade Chelsea midfielder Geremi, who enjoyed a successful loan spell at the Riverside two seasons ago, that his future lay back in the north-east.

Parlour has spent much of his career playing wide on the right, the position in which the Cameroon international lined up during his time on Teesside, and while he can play centrally, McClaren has the option of switching Spaniard Gaizka Mendieta into the middle.

Boro will resume talks with Dutch midfielder Bolo Zenden this week in the hope of reaching agreement over his return to the Riverside after initial discussions proved less than successful.

Zenden was a key figure in Boro's Carling Cup success last season, scoring from the penalty spot in the final, although his father and agent Pierre revealed after talks last week that the offer on the table was 'disappointing'.

Boro launched their pre-season campaign on two fronts last night; Viduka scoring his first goal for the club from the penalty spot in a 2-2 draw at Rotherham while Szilard Nemeth plundered a hat-trick and Massimo Maccarone scored twice in a 6-1 win against Conference side York.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom