• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Recurring mistakes in big games

Why do our players make so many mistakes?

• Lack of confidence

• Lack of fortitude

• Lack of leadership

• Fear of failure

• Other reason

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Not sure why anyone is surprised or wondering why it happens; we have all seen Kolasinac miss place passes multiple times since he joined, I recall many times where he misplaces passes over a short distance but they usually happen going forward to the midfield so aren't as noticeable as the damage isnt as severe.

Big games; you will simply get punished for mistakes, again we've seen multiple players make error after error but get away with it due to not leading to goals against lesser opponents. Kane & Son will punish you, you make a mistake in a big game and you will get punished as the opposition is more deadly.

Various players of ours misplace passes and make stupid decisions, you do that against the better teams and they lead to goals, the factor is they just arent good enough across the board, talent, concentration, composure etc, they all play a part and if these players remain at the club it wont be the last time it happens..

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Kolasinac error in the NLD is reminiscent of his error in united game (2-2 draw) at old Trafford last season. Seconds after we just scored, he attempted to shepherd the ball from over 15 yards to Leno, with Lingard behind him.

Kolasinac has always been error prone, he's always mostly been lucky to get away with it.

If Arteta keeps playing him in LCB, he might start to lose the fans just like Emery did. But then again, Holding might prove just as bad if not worse.

Very infuriating that opponents don't particularly have to play well to win against us.

Take for example, the game at Watford earlier in the season. We went 2-0 up inside the first 30 minutes, but completely **** the bed in the last 30 minutes.

Shalmaneser V

It's absolutely incredible how people just aren't willing to accept our defenders, midfielders, etc just aren't very good. We've either spent horrendously or not spent enough to improve those areas. It's as simple as that. All this leadership stuff is nonsense. With Liverpool yes Van Dijk is a good leader but first and foremost he's a top class defender, a brilliant reader of the game. Luiz is supposedly a leader but he's error prone, has been his entire career.

Luiz was never as error prone at Chelsea as he has been here. At least at Chelsea he played with some passion and commitment. He hasn’t shown any heart here whatsoever.

Mustafi didn’t make mistakes at Valencia anywhere near as frequently as he does here.

Kolasinac the same at Schalke.

Do not for one minute think I’m trying to argue that their quality is being underrated. I agree with most who say they’re not good enough for Arsenal and should be upgraded. But the defensive problems are deeper rooted than just personnel. Put Van Dijk in our back 4 and I honestly don’t think he would look anywhere near as impressive as he has done at Liverpool. The whole system and culture at the club is set up for defenders to fail.

Look at Sheffield Utd and Burnley. Their defenders have less quality and big game experience than ours yet seem to play with more confidence and don’t make anywhere near as many individual errors. Ask yourself why that is?

Look at Atalanta. A team full of journeyman and complete unknowns consistently playing some of best and most progressive football in Europe.

Are you going to tell me Rafael Toloi, Mattia Caldara and Jose Palomino are individually far better quality than our back 3? Those guys combined cost less than what we paid for David Luiz ffs. Put them in our defence and they wouldn’t look nowhere near as comfortable.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Are you going to tell me Rafael Toloi, Mattia Caldara and Jose Palomino are individually far better quality than our back 3? Those guys combined cost less than what we paid for David Luiz ffs. Put them in our defence and they wouldn’t look nowhere near as comfortable.
Our players might be better but I think they all have mental issues that bring them down.

Mustafi is a bottle job of a CB with great attributes, still a bottle job though. Kola might be more talented than the guys you listed but I could argue he's also more stupid. David Luiz is the only one I feel might look half decent with better team structure and protection from midfield.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’ve given up on Mustafi, Kolasinac and I’m not a fan of Luiz. Holding, Sokratis are also pretty bad. Chambers can’t put a run together.

The midfield is like, one WC player away, or two good players away.

I quite like our forwards, not perfect or the best we’ve ever had - but to get 4th I don’t see why they wouldn’t work.

We aren’t far away from a Champions league spot. Winning the title or going on a good run in CL though we are miles off sadly. Have drifted further and further away since our final in Paris.

Our defence goes without saying
Chances created by our central midfield is dire

I would prioritise one CB and one CM this summer but I have none in mind.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If you look closely, Kolasinac puts his head down to look at the ball before he plays it back to Luiz. By the time he’s done that, Luiz has moved towards the ball and Kolasinac hits it to where Luiz was.

There are a few players in our squad who do that. Xhaka, Bellerin and Mustafi are others. It’s the reason they all suck at 1 touch football, kill our momentum and panic when closed down. Mistakes aren’t a coincidence.

You can’t fix that it’s just a pure lack of technical quality. They haven’t practiced using two feet enough. For example one major difference between Skrtl and van Dyke or Richard Dunne and Vincent Kompany is they are comfortable facing any direction. It should be a prerequisite for any top defender or defensive midfielder.

Went through it with Senderos, Djourou, Sylvestre, Squillaci, Lichsteiner, Vermaelen, Gabriel, Mustafi etc. We’ve consistently signed one legged lead-footed defensive players.

Mistakes will inevitably happen.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I’ve given up on Mustafi, Kolasinac and I’m not a fan of Luiz. Holding, Sokratis are also pretty bad. Chambers can’t put a run together.

The midfield is like, one WC player away, or two good players away.

I quite like our forwards, not perfect or the best we’ve ever had - but to get 4th I don’t see why they wouldn’t work.

We aren’t far away from a Champions league spot. Winning the title or going on a good run in CL though we are miles off sadly. Have drifted further and further away since our final in Paris.

Our defence goes without saying
Chances created by our central midfield is dire

I would prioritise one CB and one CM this summer but I have none in mind.
Get some blacks In for ya

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

If you look closely, Kolasinac puts his head down to look at the ball before he plays it back to Luiz. By the time he’s done that, Luiz has moved towards the ball and Kolasinac hits it to where Luiz was.

There are a few players in our squad who do that. Xhaka, Bellerin and Mustafi are others. It’s the reason they all suck at 1 touch football, kill our momentum and panic when closed down. Mistakes aren’t a coincidence.

You can’t fix that it’s just a pure lack of technical quality. They haven’t practiced using two feet enough. For example one major difference between Skrtl and van Dyke or Richard Dunne and Vincent Kompany is they are comfortable facing any direction. It should be a prerequisite for any top defender or defensive midfielder.

Went through it with Senderos, Djourou, Sylvestre, Squillaci, Lichsteiner, Vermaelen, Gabriel, Mustafi etc. We’ve consistently signed one legged lead-footed defensive players.

Mistakes will inevitably happen.
Luiz and Kos are pretty two-footed

Top Bottom