• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepes blue pill

It wasn't just yesterday... But well done for making one hell of an incorrect assumption that I was basing this off one cameo. Did you see him at Hoffenheim last season. This lad needs much more time before he is propelled into first team football. Nowhere did I say he can't make it. But currently he needs to be playing in the leagues below. He is not CURRENTLY good enough and it is showing.

Bookmarking your vehement defense for good measure though seeing as you having such a hissy fit

HAHAHAHAHAHA, BACK TRACKING LIKE HELL

I should have listened to that decent poster who said you are to be ignored, what a wise poster he is, I am sorry for not listening dude

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

I should have listened to that decent poster who said you are to be ignored, what a wise poster he is, I am sorry for not listening dude
How am I back tracking? Please explain this. Either you are trolling or you're making massive assumptions about MY opinion. Where have I backtracked? Please do show me

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
As always, patience is the name of the game with these young guns. But also the context. The younger the player, the chance is higher that he will perform according to confidence until he have established himself more. To substitute Reiss in an away game when the opposition and atmosphere from the fans are like sharks smelling a hint of blood is not a good idea. To throw Reiss in against Aston Villa when we are 3-0 up at home? Very good idea.

Reiss played like **** yesterday. But i think i blame Emery for this.

Torreira, Chambers and perhaps Willock would be the right substitutes in this case.
Think if Nelson was gonna come on it should have been earlier if at all. Right now it's more than just physical, he needs confidence and right now I dont see how hes gonna get it without actually playing. I still maintain we made the right decision not sending him back on loan but we need to follow through and play him IMO. I'm prepared for him to have bad games, especially now where he hasn't been given the confidence and backing from any of his managers bar Aidy Boothroyd of all people. But I believe it wont be very long before his level begins to rise. He just needs confidence.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Think when Emery brings him on , he should play him further forward close Auba , one facet which has transitioned well to snr football for him is his goal scoring , also has a knack of getting on the end of them . So let him ease into senior football that way .l
Yeah, agreed. I said something similar a while back. But this is an Emery problem. None of attackers are seeing the ball in advanced positions regularly and the younger players will inevitably suffer from that, especially when they are under necessary pressure to produce. I think Nelson backs himself in shooting positions but right now isn't backing himself 1v1. I think in close quarters he feels more confident dribbling but with more space he is easily marshalled. Get him closer to goal IMO.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
**** performances are not a worry, the timidness and apparent limitations in his game definitely are though, if he can't constantly beat his man and create space for himself over the first few meters at the senior level, he's going to have a tough time as a winger. One positive is that he took up good positions several times yesterday, and his movement in general is pretty good.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
I have absolutely no worries for Reiss. He seems a little apprehensive at the moment when he plays in the first team. For England U21 and the U23's he comes out of his shell. He will get his chance against Nottingham Forest next week. Also could be an opportunity to rest Auba and play Martinelli or John Jules up front. He will blossom when he has his highlight game like Saka i

9jagooner

I've seen Reiss do really well for the team and I believe the talent is still in there. However, it isn't just about talent as we've seen in the past with probably even more talented players. I think he threw his chance with the loan move at Hoffenheim last season. That was his opportunity to show himself but he didn't take it well (started well though). Maybe he needs another loan move or better still, keep his head down, show what he can do in training and hit the ground running when he gets the chance to play with the first team.

Pepes blue pill

I have absolutely no worries for Reiss. He seems a little apprehensive at the moment when he plays in the first team. For England U21 and the U23's he comes out of his shell. He will get his chance against Nottingham Forest next week. Also could be an opportunity to rest Auba and play Martinelli or John Jules up front. He will blossom when he has his highlight game like Saka i

Yep, if only that goal against burnley had counted, still no idea why people want to judge such a young player negatively so early, still I guess if you bet against all young players you will right more often than not

Personally I prefer your rational take on him

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

I wouldn’t take Mark seriously, he’s an emotional man-child that gets wound up way too easily. He had this weird obsession where he would stalk my posts, he seems to calm down a bit but it returns every now and again.

Funny enough I don’t see Nelson making it either, he seems to not be able to play wih adults. Someone needs to feed him a carb.

Pepes blue pill

I wouldn’t take Mark seriously, he’s an emotional man-child that gets wound up way too easily. He had this weird obsession where he would stalk my posts, he seems to calm down a bit but it returns every now and again.

Funny enough I don’t see Nelson making it either, he seems to not be able to play wih adults. Someone needs to feed him a carb.

I just think he needs to back himself like Saka did the other day, always plays within himself for me

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Yeah, we know he's got qualities but he needs to be able to replicate them at this level. Right now he's like a bulbasaur that doesn't want to evolve.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
"He just needs a goal to gain some confidence."
If this applies to Pepe, then I think it should apply to a youngster.
I was just in Sakas thread talking about how he has managed to adapt his game to first team football over the last 12 months and it got me thinking about the kind of character Nelson has showed in the past to get past his obstacles.

With both Emery and Nagelsmann seemingly wanting to emphasise Nelson's work off the ball, I sometimes wonder if Freddie should spend some times emphasising Nelson's strengths in possession instead. Nelson's a player who needs to be constantly involved, to be in the game. Lots of touches. I can remember seeing many great performances at different levels for Nelson and the main thread was his overall involvement in attacks - particularly in games where he played as the #10.

I think just as much as he needs a goal, he needs to be constantly involved. He needs to see the ball a lot and in dangerous positions. Had he played against Frankfurt, the openness of the game would have seen him thrive IMO. As it is, Saka was the one who took full advantage.

The problem with this is 2fold. Nelson does need to be a bit cleverer about where he receives the ball - however this is exacerbated by the fact that the attackers in our team generally dont get a great deal of good touches often in good areas. Our attacks are sparse, less about control than about swift counters regardless of opposition and arguably pretty predictable (through ball into half space, overlapping fullback, low cross/cutback to CF). This has seen Özil become even less effective aswell. In fact, the only attacker who has generally enjoyed consistent possession in our setup is probably Alex Iwobi. Auba works as CF - he doesn't need the ball to become effective, in fact it's probably better that he doesn't see much of the ball until the later stages of an attack. The rest of the attack - including Laca - are often poorer when the team sees little possession. Özil suffers because theres nobody for him to act as foil for.

Having given this some thought, I imagine it's going to be tough for a player like Nelson to really get the time he needs to be effective in this team. Saka works because of the focused nature of his game - he is capable of completely simplifying and can become a crucial piece as a result. Nelson, a much more flamboyant personality, has a different way of asserting himself and the best way for him to do that is to be more demanding IMO. Demand possession. Receive and play combos, get possession in dangerous areas where he can actually use his dribbling in close quarters- somewhere he can be effective. This will lead to more openings in attack IMO. He can adapt this from Iwobi to an extent but I believe he has more potential for end product and he has to be involved more to get that conviction needed. More involvement - more conviction = more product. Theres still an immense talent with Nelson and we can utilize it well- it will just take a bit more time potentially but I think it will be worth it.

Iceman10

Established Member
I was just in Sakas thread talking about how he has managed to adapt his game to first team football over the last 12 months and it got me thinking about the kind of character Nelson has showed in the past to get past his obstacles.

With both Emery and Nagelsmann seemingly wanting to emphasise Nelson's work off the ball, I sometimes wonder if Freddie should spend some times emphasising Nelson's strengths in possession instead. Nelson's a player who needs to be constantly involved, to be in the game. Lots of touches. I can remember seeing many great performances at different levels for Nelson and the main thread was his overall involvement in attacks - particularly in games where he played as the #10.

I think just as much as he needs a goal, he needs to be constantly involved. He needs to see the ball a lot and in dangerous positions. Had he played against Frankfurt, the openness of the game would have seen him thrive IMO. As it is, Saka was the one who took full advantage.

The problem with this is 2fold. Nelson does need to be a bit cleverer about where he receives the ball - however this is exacerbated by the fact that the attackers in our team generally dont get a great deal of good touches often in good areas. Our attacks are sparse, less about control than about swift counters regardless of opposition and arguably pretty predictable (through ball into half space, overlapping fullback, low cross/cutback to CF). This has seen Özil become even less effective aswell. In fact, the only attacker who has generally enjoyed consistent possession in our setup is probably Alex Iwobi. Auba works as CF - he doesn't need the ball to become effective, in fact it's probably better that he doesn't see much of the ball until the later stages of an attack. The rest of the attack - including Laca - are often poorer when the team sees little possession. Özil suffers because theres nobody for him to act as foil for.

Having given this some thought, I imagine it's going to be tough for a player like Nelson to really get the time he needs to be effective in this team. Saka works because of the focused nature of his game - he is capable of completely simplifying and can become a crucial piece as a result. Nelson, a much more flamboyant personality, has a different way of asserting himself and the best way for him to do that is to be more demanding IMO. Demand possession. Receive and play combos, get possession in dangerous areas where he can actually use his dribbling in close quarters- somewhere he can be effective. This will lead to more openings in attack IMO. He can adapt this from Iwobi to an extent but I believe he has more potential for end product and he has to be involved more to get that conviction needed. More involvement - more conviction = more product. Theres still an immense talent with Nelson and we can utilize it well- it will just take a bit more time potentially but I think it will be worth it.

IMO, we've had a tendency at Arsenal to look at younger players in particular based almost solely on technical ability. If a player does not have the right personality (e.g. a bit of an 'edge') for top level football it doesn't matter about their "technical talent" they still will never become a top player (to play against a Barcelona in the CL) and the investment in that player has to be cut short. In some ways we've done this with Iwobi. Some would have liked to have kept him for another season but the club ruthlessly cashed in based on what they predicted was his ceiling.

I'm not convinced regarding Reiss, almost solely on personality, not technical, although I could be wrong, but I do sense he is on borrowed time right now. There is a clear personality difference from Saka, and it doesn't take a football connoisseur to instinctively pick this up even just casually watching the both of them.

Kingofthebongo

Nelson at the senior level is a touch, one or two dribbles and move type of player. Given his current level of physicality (very subpar even for a youngster) his best bet to make it is to work on smart off the ball movement, combination play, effective final ball passing between lines centrally, and most importantly goal scoring (which I think he has at a good level already).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom