Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

They like Joe Willock for that role but I don't think he has enough guile at the top level for that role. His level of skill is perfect for an #8 but they're shoehorning him to use his running power there. I think Nelson is indeed a solution for that #10 role because I think his dribbling in tight areas is much better, and I also think Nelson's potential end product is high. The issue for me is getting Nelson closer to goal and I think in this formation, #10 does that. His throughballs may not be as good as Özil at his best, but his combination play is an underrated strength and used effectively in that position, could facilitate more chances for the forwards - better retaining of possession in final 3rd and better 1v1 quality.

It's a risk on paper using more of the Hale End boys but I think they'd have more chemistry than the team now. All of our combinations in our "best XI" have issues.

2. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

Nelson as a modern no10 is interesting.

Defence splitting through balls are overrated and how often do you really see them anyway?

Give me someone with a wicket shot, good dribbling/agility and the technical ability to play in tight spaces every day of the week.

3. MutableEarth

It makes sense depending on what we want the #10 to do. Nelson's defending off the ball has gotten better in terms of how he dominates space - he needs to be a lot better at winning duels defensively speaking but he is good at keeping up pressure and cutting angles.

On the ball, he doesn't have Özil's vision admittedly - Özil sees all types of **** that nobody sees, but the execution at the moment is gone for some strange reason. What Nelson does have though is that sense of adventure when he's on the ball - at least when he's at his best. Looking to dribble out of tight corners and create space, then combine with the other attackers, getting into areas to shoot, generally looking to dominate the ball by pulling people out of position with dribbles and clever short passes rather than through balls and running into space.

It is a longshot in terms of creating chances, because at this level, Nelson's best games haven't always involved him directly creating a lot of chances, but some of his games on the left in the Cups have been encouraging in this regard, and I think he has a decent relationship with Martinelli in that regard. In the future, a left side of Saka/Tierney and Nelson would be optimal with Martinelli upfront, but I would like us to explore the idea of Nelson replacing Özil in some games at the #10, rather than Willock.

Gotta be patient though, another knock for Nelson means he's gonna have to regroup and gain momentum again. I just hope he comes back a bit more confident and fired up.

Trilly likes this.
  4. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

Jesus christ that's a shocking team. :rofl:

5. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

Go support Barcelona because that's all we have here.

6. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

If a midfield of Nelson, AMN and Torreira is good enough for you, you can go and support Derby with your boy Bielik.

7. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

I'm sure Arthur, Busquets and De Jong is better, but when you look at what we have, having Torreira and AMN or Xhaka is all we have. Having Bielik or Xhaka makes no difference to this team, it's a still bottom/mid table team

8. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

I remember watching this kid on ITV 2 on a youth cup match against Man City and he looked scary good. I always thought Chris Willock was the superior player but after watching Nelson do his thing I really was a convert that day. Nelson is at his best when he is central, he's at his best when he is on the ball regularly, his willingness to carry the ball upwards, link up with others and take shots. All those things are hard to do when out wide. As you can see from the video:

I've always seen Nelson as more of a SS than a pure 10. To me, his style is reminiscent of Dybala of his time at Palermo, or the early seasons of Juve. The problem is second strikers are basically dead in this era of football just like traditional 10s. They often get moved out wide like Dybala or get converted into false 9’s Li Firminio. So unless Arteta really really believes in Nelson, I don't think we will ever see him reach his potential out wide but here's hoping.

Geofranco and Trilly like this.
  9. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Rarely Right

Think both, Reiss and Pepe, could be incredibly hard to defend as a supporting striker/Nr.10.

I like what I've seen with Özil under Arteta so far, but I would not be opposed to see something different there for once.
    Those two would basically be able to run straight at the last defender on the counter asap and would beat them most of the time - giving them a free run at the goalie or having another defender trying to burst inside to prevent you from doing that, that in turn would destroy their set up structure and make it easy to just lay off the ball to the wingers.

Not the worst option to try, if you've got Pepe and Reiss as an option

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Trilly likes this.
  10. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

Yeah I've given up on the classic no10. Feel like we've died from having one while other teams have left us behind.

Really want to see Pepe/Nelson tried there, let's just see how it goes.

SingmeasongSong and Tourbillion like this.
  11. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

good news, think he might be one of Arteta's favourites already

MutableEarth likes this.
  12. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Prefers To Be Called Dennis

We got our right winger back! :drool:

13. Wrighty4eva

Wrighty4eva Well-Known Member

Spotted in the under 23's :eek::(, Wonder if it has to do with recovery from injuries or Arteta just doesn't rate him, in any event can't bode well.

14. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

He was injured and lack sharpness so its was very likely he'll play for u23.

say yes likes this.
  15. MutableEarth

Was just "coming back from injury" minutes. He only played 45 mins, suggesting it's a precursor for Monday.

FWIW, he looked sharp at least without over exerting himself.

16. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

Started quite well under Arteta.

He's the sort of player we are missing off the bench

17. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Knows a guy who knows an ITK at Bristol Trusted

Thought he was pretty good tonight.

Think people have written him off too quickly, not every youngster is a Haaland or Sancho at a young age.

He needs regular game time so he can have a shot at figuring it all out.

Afro Mugo, lufere7 and dka91 like this.
  18. dka91

dka91 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean I saw a post in the match thread saying he wasn't great? I thought he did good tbh.

Rex Banter likes this.
  19. MutableEarth

Still has those who have an agenda against him but I'm happy he has Arteta behind him and willing to give him opportunities - definitely been written off too quickly, as have a few others in this team. This was a good game to get him started - plucky League One team but a lay-up for someone like Reiss who wants to make an impact. I was impressed with some of his play - still a long way to go before he starts playing like he can but this was promising. Trusted himself on the ball, more willing to go for the dribble and started putting in some decent crosses aswell. Just need to get him closer to goal now so he can shoot.

Trilly, lufere7, Afro Mugo and 2 others like this.
  20. GunnerBP

GunnerBP Well-Known Member Trusted

Also, if Nelson was playing in the Austrian League he would have torn it up too, and Sancho had to leave the EPL to get consistent minutes.

Nelson is a quality player, and he's getting better under Arteta.

Afro Mugo and Rex Banter like this.