• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
Think all this talk about him playing central is a bit early btw. Let’s see him develop in that wing position first.

Someone like Pepe has a much better claim to play central if we’re going to move away from Özil there.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think he's one that will thrive under the tutilage of Pires. He's quick enough imo. What he needs is the strength to hold off opponents, to make sure that his first touch is on point and to play with his head up. I'm glad he's had a better performance.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think he's one that will thrive under the tutilage of Pires. He's quick enough imo. What he needs is the strength to hold off opponents, to make sure that his first touch is on point and to play with his head up. I'm glad he's had a better performance.

This is good, as we seemingly can't stop Bobby turning up to the training ground everyday :lol:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
When he was young he was developing to play on the left but now it seems he’s a right-sided winger. Is there any reason why this is? Surely as a right footed player it would be easier for him to cut inside playing from the left. Genuine question here.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
When he was young he was developing to play on the left but now it seems he’s a right-sided winger. Is there any reason why this is? Surely as a right footed player it would be easier for him to cut inside playing from the left. Genuine question here.
Doesn't matter for players like Reiss. He's quick, mobile and likes quick combinations in small spaces. He's not the type to regularly go on the outside to try to beat his man.

@MutableEarth can chime in if he wants.

Impact

Established Member
He's 15 years old in nearly half of these clips.

There's enormous potential here, we have to keep the faith IMO. Thankfully Arteta knows how good he is and hopefully will give him more opportunities. He was beginning to get some confidence back aswell before the pandemic started.

Agreed. I genuinely think Nelson has the ability to become one of the best forwards in the Premier League. Perhaps different to other mercurial talents around his age group, he requires more coaxing and encouragement but thankfully, Arteta seems to be the man for that. Also positionally, once Nelson is confident in himself and that he has the faith of the team around him, I see no reason why he cannot play on either of the left or right flanks and in some games as a 10.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Doesn't matter for players like Reiss. He's quick, mobile and likes quick combinations in small spaces. He's not the type to regularly go on the outside to try to beat his man.

@MutableEarth can chime in if he wants.
He's capable of playing that RW role and from a tactical perspective, Arteta's been using him there as he holds the width a bit easier than Pepe who'll want to cut in on his left. I still think his best position is either #10 or on the left where he can get involved in play more and cut in to shoot aswell. Problem is, the LW role has become a pseudo striker role since Auba and Martinelli have predominantly played there - with Saka providing the width on that side of the pitch.

Agreed. I genuinely think Nelson has the ability to become one of the best forwards in the Premier League. Perhaps different to other mercurial talents around his age group, he requires more coaxing and encouragement but thankfully, Arteta seems to be the man for that. Also positionally, once Nelson is confident in himself and that he has the faith of the team around him, I see no reason why he cannot play on either of the left or right flanks and in some games as a 10.
Completely agree. There's a real player here - multifunctional, technically gifted, capable of scoring goals and a good dribbler. Just needs that bit more belief, and he was beginning to get that. Once he gets that confidence, he's going to be a consistently dangerous attacker and score lots of goals - I firmly believe that.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
There's a real player here - multifunctional, technically gifted, capable of scoring goals and a good dribbler. Just needs that bit more belief, and he was beginning to get that. Once he gets that confidence, he's going to be a consistently dangerous attacker and score lots of goals - I firmly believe that.
There’s something beautiful about your faith in some of our young players.

A lot of people I know don’t see Nelson as part of our future but I’m certainly staying patient with him. Evrryone has their own way of adapting to new situations but it doesn’t mean they’re worser for it.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I like Nelson, but I do wonder how much playing time he's going to get with Pepe here.
Nelson just doesn't fit on the right side and Pepe is not his concern.
We'll see what happens with Auba, Laca and Özil in the next year or two. If Auba does leave we could see Martinelli and Nelson taking together that position, or if we sell Laca, Auba could move to CF and open LF position for someone else.

For now, I think we should use him more in cup games and as a sub, but not every 10th game like we do now, more like 7 subs/3 starts out of 10 games.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Completely agree. There's a real player here - multifunctional, technically gifted, capable of scoring goals and a good dribbler. Just needs that bit more belief, and he was beginning to get that. Once he gets that confidence, he's going to be a consistently dangerous attacker and score lots of goals - I firmly believe that.
I hope so, your forum cred is gone if he fails :)

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
There’s something beautiful about your faith in some of our young players.

A lot of people I know don’t see Nelson as part of our future but I’m certainly staying patient with him. Evrryone has their own way of adapting to new situations but it doesn’t mean they’re worser for it.
I think Nelson just didn't have anybody's trust, and I don't think that's down to his ability. I do wish he had the temperament of someone like Nketiah, who perseveres strongly even with the scraps he gets.

My faith comes down to a few of my own personal beliefs. The main one for Arsenal being that in order to have a self-sustaining model, it makes sense to have an academy that produces talent to supplement the squad or to sell at a profit in the worst case scenario. We should be looking at Ajax or late-2000s Barca as the roadmap to create that. We're on our way IMO and have been steadily producing stronger academy products but due to the immediate needs of the team there's been a recent overreliance on experience at the expense of actual talent. As a result, it will affect the fortunes of the youngsters as they lose that incentive knowing there isn't really a pathway and the brass are paying them lip service.

At least now there is more of a chance for them as the set-up is seemingly beginning to gear towards bringing a lot of them through, at an especially good time aswell as there are even more talents about to become scholars and young pros. It's a good time to keep the faith! I just hope Reiss is part of that future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom