• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scytheavatar

Established Member
With Walcott out the door, his path has been cleared it seems. Hopefully he gets a chance, takes it and signs on long time all the while performing.

Door is clear? Wenger is apparently trying to sign Mkhitaryan and give him big wages. That if it happens would close the door for a long time. Nelson does have the rights to be pissed off and demand to know from Wenger where he fits into his plans.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I really like him but not shown enough in the first team minutes this season for Wenger to replace the outgoing Alexis, Özil & Walcott internally. Granted majority of minutes out of position but that still your window to shine at 18 & make the managers mind up.

These youth talents usually sign on when offered a decent deal & expect no different here. The ones that jump ship have a way higher chance of failure. Too big for Arsenal at 18.. so be it.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I really like him but not shown enough in the first team minutes this season for Wenger to replace the outgoing Alexis, Özil & Walcott internally. Granted majority of minutes out of position but that still your window to shine at 18 & make the managers mind up.

These youth talents usually sign on when offered a decent deal & expect no different here. The ones that jump ship have a way higher chance of failure. Too big for Arsenal at 18.. so be it.

Bull****, he has been consistently one of the better players on the pitch whenever he played. He should not replace Sanchez and Özil but some of those mins to Walcott/Iwobi/Welbeck should have gone to him. It will be a major mistake to let Nelson go, he is the flat out best talent our academy has ever produced and if he can't make it then we might as well close our academy.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Bull****, he has been consistently one of the better players on the pitch whenever he played. He should not replace Sanchez and Özil but some of those mins to Walcott/Iwobi/Welbeck should have gone to him. It will be a major mistake to let Nelson go, he is the flat out best talent our academy has ever produced and if he can't make it then we might as well close our academy.
I doubt he will see many extra minutes this season. Theo had just over an hour in the league all season & we look to be replacing him + Alexis with big money players.

For me these young players have to force the managers hand when given the chance. Like Jack & Cesc all those years ago & Iwobi more recently vs Barcelona. Wenger is under huge pressure now week in week out so not going to take added risks.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Have to agree with Garrincha for the first time from the time I am on this forum. Just play Nketiah, I think that guy is ready to make an impact right now.

Last edited:

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Have to agree with Garrincha for the first time, from the time I am on this forum. Just play Nketiah, I think that guy is ready to make an impact right now.

if he were he would have been played

Iwobi gets games and he doesn't have a huge impact

but nowadays with Wenger you don't really know anymore ): Gnabry anyone?

but it has been one of his strengths (and a weakness) to let youngsters play

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I doubt he will see many extra minutes this season. Theo had just over an hour in the league all season & we look to be replacing him + Alexis with big money players.

For me these young players have to force the managers hand when given the chance. Like Jack & Cesc all those years ago & Iwobi more recently vs Barcelona. Wenger is under huge pressure now week in week out so not going to take added risks.
Jack, Cesc and Iwobi all got to play in favorable positions.

Nelson is the only one other than AMN who inexplicably has to do "development at wing back". It's stalled his development.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is he overhyped? Seems weird that we're looking at signing another young forward in Malcom when we have Nelson waiting for game time.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Is he overhyped? Seems weird that we're looking at signing another young forward in Malcom when we have Nelson waiting for game time.
I think his development has been screwed up a bit. Playing in the wrong position and having to alter his natural attacking game as a result has not reaped any benefits. He should have gotten chances as an attacker, not a defender. It can be rectified if he goes on loan to a team willing to play him in attack solidly for 6 months or Wenger actually gives him more chances.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I think his development has been screwed up a bit. Playing in the wrong position and having to alter his natural attacking game as a result has not reaped any benefits. He should have gotten chances as an attacker, not a defender. It can be rectified if he goes on loan to a team willing to play him in attack solidly for 6 months or Wenger actually gives him more chances.

We do it to all our young players. Drives me mad.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Best talent I've ever seen at Arsenal. We should be doing all we can to accommodate him, and if that means giving him an attacking position in the first team and going for it, then so be it.

****ing Sanogo got a chance here and played over Giroud in a CL tie. Look at all the unworthy senior players, past and ****ing present, who get games every week... and we can't find a spot for this guy?

**** off.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Door is clear? Wenger is apparently trying to sign Mkhitaryan and give him big wages. That if it happens would close the door for a long time. Nelson does have the rights to be pissed off and demand to know from Wenger where he fits into his plans.
He's 18 and hasn't exactly set the world on fire. He's shown flashes. With Alexis and Walcott gone,he should get more chances but it's up to him how he manages his career. He's in no position to be making demands. He's not Mbappe level.

Impact

Established Member

With respect to his development, I'm not worried. I don't really agree with Wenger's decision to play him at wing-back but I think Nelson is such a talent that in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter too much. He's been exciting in his cameos and will play more next season. The real damage will be if Nelson is so perturbed by such that he considers leaving us.

If we lose Nelson, we have lost a potential world level star. He's that good. Wilshere, Fabregas, Bellerín level talent for me.

Impact

Established Member

No - he's very good and has been highly rated for good reason. He has the potential to be a genuine starter at Arsenal. Signing Malcom should not pose an issue as Nelson can play on both flanks as well as a 10.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
He's 18 and hasn't exactly set the world on fire. He's shown flashes. With Alexis and Walcott gone,he should get more chances but it's up to him how he manages his career. He's in no position to be making demands. He's not Mbappe level.
He's being played out of position though so you can't expect him to set the world on fire. Im sure if Mbappe was playing as CB we wouldnt know him right now.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Give him Iwobi's minutes, sign him to a long term deal and send him out on loan next season with the assurance that he'll have a first team spot waiting for him. Wilshere's had to go and prove himself on loans twice in his career, Nelson should at least be willing to go out once.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's being played out of position though so you can't expect him to set the world on fire. Im sure if Mbappe was playing as CB we wouldnt know him right now.
He had brief stints up front but not enough time there. He can play on either flank and we've sold the players that were starting there. Nelson is young and can play either flank I believe. There's no reason for him to panic. He should back himself and be up for the challenge of earning a start and maybe competing with a new signing. We've always given time to young players who are worth it.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Nketiah is a Ronaldo level, his movement into the box reminds me of Ronaldo style. There is a video at Wilshere thread, with him moving like a world class player into the box.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Give him Iwobi's minutes, sign him to a long term deal and send him out on loan next season with the assurance that he'll have a first team spot waiting for him. Wilshere's had to go and prove himself on loans twice in his career, Nelson should at least be willing to go out once.
Exactly. What is Iwobi currently doing that Nelson can't do? What position would you trust Iwobi to play better than Nelson? Does anyone really believe Nelson would have done worse than Iwobi given all the trust Iwobi has had. Wenger makes me ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom