• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslingtonBornandbred

What's Nelson's other game time i.e u23 been recently? Must be frustrating if he's missing u23 games to sit on the bench and jog up and down a few times!

He should get himself out on loan in the summer to somewhere like Brentford or QPR, would do him the world of good.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What's Nelson's other game time i.e u23 been recently? Must be frustrating if he's missing u23 games to sit on the bench and jog up and down a few times!

He should get himself out on loan in the summer to somewhere like Brentford or QPR, would do him the world of good.
Very choppy. Has not really played consistently for them this year, neither has Nketiah as both have been called up to first team matches only to not appear from the bench the vast majority of the time. That's what's annoying about it IMO.

People are being a tad shortsighted saying he should be delighted to be making the bench, but again, I point to Jeff Reine-Adelaide - a player who regularly made the bench for Arsenal, yet people were already starting to write him off because he wasn't playing enough games for either first team or U23 team, not getting enough experience and suffering as a result. He's started 3 straight games for Angers and is already showing his quality in a relegation-threatened team.

Even Willock is being called up for virtually no reason, as he's unlikely to start any games any time soon and Elneny is already the spare man in midfield. Willock should be clocking up minutes for the U23 team or at least be on loan. DaSilva has been a beneficiary because he's playing regularly and gets better with every game. Getting these guys minutes and experience is the only way they're actually ever going to get better.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Very choppy.

Even Willock is being called up for virtually no reason, as he's unlikely to start any games any time soon and Elneny is already the spare man in midfield. Willock should be clocking up minutes for the U23 team or at least be on loan. DaSilva has been a beneficiary because he's playing regularly and gets better with every game. Getting these guys minutes and experience is the only way they're actually ever going to get better.

Completely agree. I think we aren't doing something right when it comes to bringing through attacking players. Ok I know we mighten not had the quality of players form the academy over the years. However the most important aspect of becoming a "top top" player is Decision making! (Gervinho was an unbeliveable dribbler imo but always lacked that final ball).

The only way you're going to get that is by playing in a low pressurized yet competitive environment and regularly.

We've seen what's happened to Iwobi, he's actually regressed in his attacking play since he first broke through. I put that down partly to having to start for a big club where you're always under the microscope, thus can't develop in an organic way.

We should definitely strike up a deal with a mid table bundesliga club who play decent football and ship our youngsters out there for year or two.

Newchange

Man management of our younger players really needs to improve. Players need motivation and need to be rewarded for there hard work. Nelson was in a good moment earlier this season and was overlooked for Theo,Welbeck & Iwobi when all have been poor. Yes hes young and needs to bide his time, but at the same time fuel his fire, bring him on with 10mins to go. Keep him hungry. Same with Eddie.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He really needs to just bide his time. Although he may not be playing much football, he should really appear on the bench for most of the league games coming up. The boy just turned 18. AMN has just been trusted and Iwobi broke into the team at 19 I believe. Nelson is getting a lot of experience for his age and you would hope that he starts to get 10 mins consistently increasing to 20 minutes before he gets a start towards the end of the season.

TriniGunner

The sooner Wenger goes the happier I'd be. I used to think of him as a manager who trusted youth players but lately it's quite clear he's more focused on his job performance rather than nurturing young players into the first team. Nelson should have been getting a lot more games at this point in the season. The young man is hugely talented and I'm afraid he'd be one of the many young players whose career would be destroyed by this manager.

say yes

forum master baiter
Been hard done by this season but he’ll get his opportunities. Just needs to stay patient.

No idea why Iwobi is currently getting minutes ahead of him.

StefanB

Think he should have come on instead of Jack.

Same. Whats the point of having him on the bench if he can't even trust him coming on for a winger when we're 3-0 up at home with 10 mins left?

Better to just drop him and let him play U23 football then.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Been hard done by this season but he’ll get his opportunities. Just needs to stay patient.

No idea why Iwobi is currently getting minutes ahead of him.

Iwobi is currently getting minutes ahead of him because Wenger doesn't rate Nelson as highly as Iwobi, that's why he keeps playing Nelson as a full back. How Nelson is being treated by Wenger is similar to how Ferguson treated Pogba, and Nelson probably does have the rights to feel he's better off joining another club to advance his career.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Iwobi is currently getting minutes ahead of him because Wenger doesn't rate Nelson as highly as Iwobi, that's why he keeps playing Nelson as a full back. How Nelson is being treated by Wenger is similar to how Ferguson treated Pogba, and Nelson probably does have the rights to feel he's better off joining another club to advance his career.
It's the type of player Iwobi is too. Nelson is probably not quite as trusted because he's a risk/reward type of player. Usually willing to take people on, go for the risky option. He's been somewhat cautious but I'm sure that's owing to being played as a full-back - a haphazard way to appease Nelson's growing lust for playing time because Wenger still didn't trust him enough over Walcott first then Iwobi afterwards, but he had to play him because he was outgrowing U23 football.

It might be in his best interests overall to stay here honestly, he will probably get a chance sooner than he thinks, but if he wants to play now then he'll definitely be having second thoughts. Honestly, I still think he'll stay here anyway.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think he needs to calm down and he realistic. We have sold three attackers and Welbeck may ho in the summer. Question marks also hang over other players. He should look at David Bentley who was hailed as the next Liam Brady and Arturo Lupoli. Youngsters will get a chance here again if we don't get a Jose type manager or Wenger trusts himself one last time.

Longy

I haven't seen too much in Neilson.
I haven't seen too much in AMN.
I haven't seen too much in Nkeitah.

These type of young players need to go on loan to gain some tough consistent football. Let them shine if they're good enough then bring them back.
We have Elnenys and co filling the bench.
If they're good enough, they take their place.
You should only be getting into 1st team squad if you are truly special (eg Cesc, Wilshere) at that age.

The romance of bringing young players through to first team because they're from our academy is hurting us and them.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Fall out perhaps from the debacle at Forest, when playing too many youngsters and part timers with no reliable back up on the bench cost us dear

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Fall out perhaps from the debacle at Forest, when playing too many youngsters and part timers with no reliable back up on the bench out us dear
Agree. It's also long forgotten that he was actually one of our better players that day. I keep reading people say he hasn't performed but he was good in that tie when he actually got to play as an attacker. Just a shame he was surrounded by under-performing seniors in that game. Him and AMN linking up on the left was the best thing about us that game.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I haven't seen too much in Neilson.
I haven't seen too much in AMN.
I haven't seen too much in Nkeitah.

These type of young players need to go on loan to gain some tough consistent football. Let them shine if they're good enough then bring them back.
We have Elnenys and co filling the bench.
If they're good enough, they take their place.
You should only be getting into 1st team squad if you are truly special (eg Cesc, Wilshere) at that age.

The romance of bringing young players through to first team because they're from our academy is hurting us and them.

Yeah I agree. Unless you have a Cesc, bringing academy players through is tough. They need to be loaned for the season where you are considering bringing them through.

PL too competitive to really bring through multiple prospects. Shame but it’s how it is

Aevi

Hale End FC
Admin
Combined with the recent reported interest, it sounds to me like he's on the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom