• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afcb

He seemed to lack pace i may be wrong but he didnt seem very fast which is the type of winger/attacker we need

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Don't think people on here are undertanding:

1. Just how good Nelson is or can be
2. The premium/demand for fast, skilful goalscoring wingers
3. How much Arsenal's reputation has been damaged by the failed "British core" experiment

There are fans who think a kid rated as one of the best in Europe is going to develop by watching Welbz doing his bambi on ice rendition from the bench?

He needs competitive game time and not at wing back either. Should've been loaned at the start of the season instead of kept around a toxic environment as a benchwarmer.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Two finishes on his weak foot. First goal a really good strike.

He didn't actually have a great game though, overplayed the ball quite a lot but the goals will be good to get his momentum up so he can then improve on his performances.

It strengthens the idea that he needs to temporarily abandon his desire for the AM/#10 position and work towards shaping his game as a goalscoring wide-forward. That's where he would thrive IMO.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Don't think people on here are undertanding:

1. Just how good Nelson is or can be
2. The premium/demand for fast, skilful goalscoring wingers
3. How much Arsenal's reputation has been damaged by the failed "British core" experiment

There are fans who think a kid rated as one of the best in Europe is going to develop by watching Welbz doing his bambi on ice rendition from the bench?

He needs competitive game time and not at wing back either. Should've been loaned at the start of the season instead of kept around a toxic environment as a benchwarmer.
His development is being hindered here anyway. There isn't enough quality in his position to learn from or look up to. Seeing ****ing Welbeck get time over him must be soul destroying.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He seemed to lack pace i may be wrong but he didnt seem very fast which is the type of winger/attacker we need
This is confusing, because while he may not be Aubameyang quick, he's still in the 'fast' bracket imo. Pace is certainly no issue from what I've seen.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is confusing, because while he may not be Aubameyang quick, he's still in the 'fast' bracket imo. Pace is certainly no issue from what I've seen.
He's one of the quickest players at the club. Has never lacked pace :lol:. As an athlete, he's very fast and has high energy levels. As far as I understand, the 3 fastest players are Aubameyang, Bellerin and (surprisingly) Xavier Amaechi. Nelson and AMN are not far behind them at all IMO.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He's one of the quickest players at the club. Has never lacked pace :lol:. As an athlete, he's very fast and has high energy levels. As far as I understand, the 3 fastest players are Aubameyang, Bellerin and (surprisingly) Xavier Amaechi. Nelson and AMN are not far behind them at all IMO.
He has serious leg speed which is an asset for footballers, because you don't need as much space or time to change direction. Opens up doors to winning penalties too. Just as well really, coz he's short! Didn't hinder Messi--in fact, it made him the player he is.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He has serious leg speed which is an asset for footballers, because you don't need as much space or time to change direction. Opens up doors to winning penalties too. Just as well really, coz he's short! Didn't hinder Messi--in fact, it made him the player he is.
Eh, not that short. Average height (I'd say 5'9 or 5'10). But he does have excellent leg speed - when he plays at a high tempo he's difficult to deal with. To really compound that, he should make quick decisions - he's been having a trouble with overplaying lately. Not releasing at the right time, overdribbling and dwelling at times. Despite that though, he's still scoring at a good rate.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Two finishes on his weak foot. First goal a really good strike.

He didn't actually have a great game though, overplayed the ball quite a lot but the goals will be good to get his momentum up so he can then improve on his performances.

It strengthens the idea that he needs to temporarily abandon his desire for the AM/#10 position and work towards shaping his game as a goalscoring wide-forward. That's where he would thrive IMO.

Completely agree

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think you are mistaking top line speed and acceleration. I'd say when it comes to acceleration Nelson is amongst the fastest in the league. Very similar to Sterling. However when you are talking top line speed, he isn't as quick as people think.

Much like Sterling he can be caught. There is no chance of pushing the ball and beating fast full backs over long distances however over short distances he won't be caught.

He should be basing his game on Willian in my opinion. He should really be looking to increase his power and sustain a dribble over long distances through the centre of the pitch.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Eh, not that short. Average height (I'd say 5'9 or 5'10). But he does have excellent leg speed - when he plays at a high tempo he's difficult to deal with. To really compound that, he should make quick decisions - he's been having a trouble with overplaying lately. Not releasing at the right time, overdribbling and dwelling at times. Despite that though, he's still scoring at a good rate.
Yeah dunno why I said he was short really. 5'9 isn't tall, but isn't short. He just seems a bit squatty. Did he ever have a tendency to overplay it or is it something he's doing lately? If it's the latter, I suspect he's getting bored and trying to force the issue. With his eye for goal you'd expect him to still knock them in regardless of his form. I still think he's an incredible talent.

Jaila

Should have given him a lot more first team opportunities, and while being on bench he can't even have a proper run in the academy games. This is another thing what I hate about Wenger, he believes the young players will improve by just training with the first team. There is no substitute for real game time.

Now, if he gets more opportunities next season, and turns out any good, the club will be under pressure again to get him to sign another contract, as I believe his contract runs out in 2018. Poor management all around

Aevi

Hale End FC
I hope he takes today as a lesson that he still has some work to do. I didn't catch the whole game, but it did look to me like he struggled to significantly impose himself. He had his back to goal quite often and didn't cause much trouble. Not a bad performance, but plenty of room for improvement.

The work that was left to do was getting experience and brake that debut barrier. Now he is getting experience and we will see how far he can go!

Aevi

Hale End FC
Post match interview:

I’m just delighted, I’m really happy - all the hard work is paying off so I’m really happy and excited to push on even further,” Nelson told Arsenal.com.

It’s been a normal week for me, training with the boys. On Thursday I spoke to the boss and he told me I might be in. From then I had it in the back of my mind that I could be starting, so I trained really hard on Friday and then the teamsheet came out and I was delighted to be starting.

“I just treated it as a normal game and I think that’s the best thing to do. Being involved with the first team, be it in the Premier League or the Europa League, you just have to take it as it comes. You keep all the nerves inside and just play your normal game.”

But Nelson will have to wait a while to move up the pecking order when it comes to dead balls. He takes free-kicks for the under-23s but made way for Granit Xhaka when Southampton were penalised 25 yards from goal in the first half.

“I wanted the free-kick!” said Nelson with a smile. “It’s one of those things but next time hopefully I can take it!

https://www.arsenal.com/news/nelson-you-keep-all-nerves-inside-you

He just turned 18 less than 4 months ago. How much game time did everyone expect him to get? The likes of Fabregas are one in a thousand. Plus, the first half of the season was an absolute mess with toxic Sanchez bringing everyone down and harmony not being restored until about 3 weeks after he finally left. It wasn't really the time or place to be giving a then 17 year old a starting place. The pressure back then would have been immense. Now the PL is somewhat meaningless this season and the new signings seemingly settled, Nelson may get a lot more opportunities.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
His development is being hindered here anyway. There isn't enough quality in his position to learn from or look up to. Seeing ****ing Welbeck get time over him must be soul destroying.

If you can't get playing time cause there's better senior players ahead of you, the next best things is training along great players to learn from them. That's one of the reasons I'd like to see more ex players work in staff. Not necesarilly as assisstants or head youth coaches, but as technical coaches, supervisors/advisers during training, individual mentors to help new signings/promoted youth player settle in and develop or occasional drill instructors and game analysts.

While not any ex player is made to or wants to be a manager or DoF, I think there's a lot of guys who'd like to keep on working in a steady job in football after their career. And these exemplary tasks I listed seem to fit the abilities of ex player rather nicely.

I hope he takes today as a lesson that he still has some work to do. I didn't catch the whole game, but it did look to me like he struggled to significantly impose himself. He had his back to goal quite often and didn't cause much trouble. Not a bad performance, but plenty of room for improvement.

It's exactly these little things where ex players could help analyze performances, nail down what's left to improve and help young players do exactly that. Kinda like the story goes how Guardiola/Arteta improved Sterling's movement and positional awareness. Guys like Cazorla, Rosicky, Pires, etc. could surely add to the coaching staff in more behind the curtains roles with all their on field experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom