• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think Nketiah needs/needed a loan more than even Nelson does. It's important for him to get more time playing first team football.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Reminded me of his UYL run for Arsenal at 15 years old just before his U23 debut - looked really bright but wasn't dribbling as much. I expect it to pick up
He started similar for u-23 when he was playing for them a lot younger than most! He relied more on his in game intelligence and movement and smart passing instead of his almost unrivaled dribbling skills.
If I can be a bit critical of his performance today (a nitpick in what was a hugely encouraging display, particularly in the 2nd half) but I still feel he's not comfortable dribbling against more seasoned defenders

So basically he never dribbles :D

progman07

Established Member
If I can be a bit critical of his performance today (a nitpick in what was a hugely encouraging display, particularly in the 2nd half) but I still feel he's not comfortable dribbling against more seasoned defenders. Breezes past his agemates but older players he is much more conservative and relies on his movement, passing and intelligence. I would just like him to trust his dribbling a little bit more but that will come with more confidence I feel..
It's interesting, I often feel it's partly due to modern football (unrelated to Nelson), I don't see as much 'dribbling' or tricks as I remember around the early 2000's in any top league game, Maybe it's because the defending (tactically and physically) has improved? Or maybe because players are not encouraged to run at defenders anymore?

Or maybe it's subjective, and dribbling is still existent in the top level?

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
4 goals already, my boy @<<reed>> is shook.
B8R6cEeCIAAXcki.jpg

el57

It's interesting, I often feel it's partly due to modern football (unrelated to Nelson), I don't see as much 'dribbling' or tricks as I remember around the early 2000's in any top league game, Maybe it's because the defending (tactically and physically) has improved? Or maybe because players are not encouraged to run at defenders anymore?

I'd reckon that Barcelonaball of the past decade has changed the current game into tight passing that exploits space rather than tricky dribblers who beat a man for space.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Dribbling is more functional now that is certain IMO - most likely due to how academies develop their youth. The more imaginative dribblers are the ones who played in the cages and on the concrete against older boys.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Bring Nelson back and buy Sancho from Dortmund.

Nelson-Nketiah-Sancho
Smith-Rowe

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Leon Bailey scored 9 goals in the Bundesliga last season and people were sprouting crazy money.

Surely if Reiss Nelson at 18/19(when season ends) scores 12-15 goals - he'd be worth probably 80-100 million in today's market.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Leon Bailey scored 9 goals in the Bundesliga last season and people were sprouting crazy money.

Surely if Reiss Nelson at 18/19(when season ends) scores 12-15 goals - he'd be worth probably 80-100 million in today's market.
He has to sustain his form at this level first. He's doing very well and showing his ingenuity. Now he must remain a consistent threat - and gradually bring more of his game to the fore.

Nelson can be even more impressive than he was today. This is a foundation he is building.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He has to sustain his form at this level first. He's doing very well and showing his ingenuity. Now he must remain a consistent threat - and gradually bring more of his game to the fore.

Nelson can be even more impressive than he was today. This is a foundation he is building.

I think he will dribble a bit more when he has a bit more money in the bank. So if he loses the ball it isn't really a problem. Remember he is on loan. So if he loses the ball through dribbling 5 times and doesn't score or assist, he will easily be sacrificed.

It is actually impressive how efficient he is. He keeps getting lumped in with Sancho. Their situation is so different. Sancho has been there for a year and is playing for his club who have better players than the majority of the league and are sitting top of the table.

Nelson on the other hand has been there for two minutes and is playing for a team who is currently bottom half of the table and severely lacking in quality compared to Dortmund.

Yet Nelson's finishing, efficiency with his passing and his ability to hurt the opposition from the minimal opportunity he gets is really a display of his ability.

Sancho strikes me as a more out an out winger who thrives in Germany as the defenders tend to be slower and he has a lot of space to work in. Nelson I feel is different and I think we will see that by the end of the season.

Stannis

I wonder if he does enough for the club to shelf buying a winger next window

Most likely that will be case

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
The maturity he’s playing with is a joy to behold. Similarly to Sancho, you don’t get that “he’s raw” feeling about him. Yeah, they’re young players, but they know how to have an impact on a football game.

It’s been mentioned before but he’s always had an eye for goal. Some of the goals he’s scored are that of an accomplished finisher. When he smashed home that volley against Boreham Wood in pre-season, I remember thinking he knows where the goal is.

He’s been brilliant as of late for club and country. Let’s see how long he can sustain this level of performance for.

Stannis

I hope we can actually have an English core now. I like the fact we are so diverse, but still like to see local talent. Ramsey has been the only one of the old British core that didn’t fail.

Holding, Eddie, Smith Rowe and Nelson all give me hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom