• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
If only he was given the minutes we wasted on Theo Walcott last season instead of playing him at wing back. What a waste of his abilities. It's a shame he couldn't open his scoring account with us in 16 appearances but did it within 14 minutes for Hoffenheim.

BobP

Memri Fan
Scoring consistently in one of the top European leagues as an 18/19 year old is massive.

Leon Bailey scored something like 10 goals last season as a 20/21 year old and he was blowing up.

Also, Naglesmann is a great manager. Very happy that Nelson is working under him. He's always changing shape and deploying Nelson in different positions, placing different demands on him all the time. It's a fantastic learning curve and he's thriving. He'll return to us as a well rounded and tactically intelligent player.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Safe to say he'll make it here. Important to note that he's a squad man in Germany, so he isn't going to come here as a starter. If he gets Welbeck's minutes next season and competes with Iwobi and Mkhi that should be enough to motivate him.

Yes he's a 50m player by all accounts in today's market. Him, Iwobi and Nketiah excite me.

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Safe to say he'll make it here. Important to note that he's a squad man in Germany, so he isn't going to come here as a starter. If he gets Welbeck's minutes next season and competes with Iwobi and Mkhi that should be enough to motivate him.

Yes he's a 50m player by all accounts in today's market. Him, Iwobi and Nketiah excite me.
Sure both Mkhi and (sadly) Welbz will be gone by the time Nelson returns next year.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Sure both Mkhi and (sadly) Welbz will be gone by the time Nelson returns next year.

I don't think we can afford to lose that kind of experience and replace it with youth. A firing Mkhi is in our strongest 11. Iwobi and Reiss is quality back up, who can cover more than one role.

I'm hoping Nketiah replaces Welbeck as a forward and Nelson comes in at the long term successor to Mkhi on the right. Iwobi can play across both wide forward positions or CAM - he effectively replaces Ramsey.

HBL

Established Member
He could've had 4 or 5 assists in the Bundesliga already as well but most of the Hoffenheim players are terrible. He is doing brilliantly and will no doubt be a regular for us whenever he returns.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Woah... outside of his finishes and highlights, he is still very in and out of games and his passing + off the ball intensity needs work. I don’t know how anyone who saw Ox at a similar age, who in my opinion was an equally exciting but more proven and physically mature talent can make guarantees about Reiss making it here.

One thing I will say, and this isn’t a criticism per se, is that I think Ox barring injuries, would’ve benefited more from a coach like Emery who is very detail oriented with tactics. The age 18 - 21 is crucial, and honestly when Nelson returns here he will need a period of integration and adjustment that will require patience from yall.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Woah... outside of his finishes and highlights, he is still very in and out of games and his passing + off the ball intensity needs work. I don’t know how anyone who saw Ox at a similar age, who in my opinion was an equally exciting but more proven and physically mature talent can make guarantees about Reiss making it here.

One thing I will say, and this isn’t a criticism per se, is that I think Ox barring injuries, would’ve benefited more from a coach like Emery who is very detail oriented with tactics. The age 18 - 21 is crucial, and honestly when Nelson returns here he will need a period of integration and adjustment that will require patience from yall.

This is a bit of a strange post because Reiss' end product is of a rate that Ox could only dream of.

Agree with you that it's a shame that Emery didn't have a 19-20 yo Oxlade to work with.

Mraven

Have you actually watch his games in the bundesliga? Nelson has been working hard without the ball. With the ball he has been direct, shown intent and played some beatiful passes. Really shoould've had two assists in the closing minutes yesterday.

Ox was a great talent, but he has never shown half the end product Nelson is at the moment.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This is a bit of a strange post because Reiss' end product is of a rate that Ox could only dream of.

Agree with you that it's a shame that Emery didn't have a 19-20 yo Oxlade to work with.

I mean, the point I was making was based on everything outside of current end product.

There are players like Sterling who’s ball retention and link up play at 18/19 was extraordinary but struggled with lack of consistent end product and to re-iterate my point about Reiss, and I’d say the same for Sancho to an extent, there’s some work to do on those other aspects of play from the games I’ve seen.

There’s never been a better example than Ronaldo of how little end product at 18 really matters in the long run.

Reiss has the perfect coach in Emery to develop that though.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Ox was an unbelievable talent at 18 tbh, looked like he was destined to be a top class player. I still believe the only thing that stopped him was injuries.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nagelsmann not pulling any punches in his assessment of Nelson so far. Might be a tad harsh but honestly I think Nelson over 90 mins still needs work at the moment. The end product bodes very well despite this and he's still extremely effective in the final 3rd regardless. But I think Nagelsmann is not wrong to demand more - Nelson is capable of much more than just scoring.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Ox was an unbelievable talent at 18 tbh, looked like he was destined to be a top class player. I still believe the only thing that stopped him was injuries.

No he wasn't, he had far more bad games than good ones at 18. He had a terrific performance against Milan, but other than that he looked completely out of depth and lost on the pitch most of the time. When he wasn't out injured. And he stayed that way until about 2015/2016 when he started to show some maturity on the pitch.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

First cameo Ox had he went past 3 United players . On debut in the CL scored against some Greek side . Ox was possibly our best midfielder at times in his first year , anyone remember what he did against Milan ?

Reiss links up with team mates better than Ox did at the same age , Ox more along the line of ALexis :lol:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nagelsmann not pulling any punches in his assessment of Nelson so far. Might be a tad harsh but honestly I think Nelson over 90 mins still needs work at the moment. The end product bodes very well despite this and he's still extremely effective in the final 3rd regardless. But I think Nagelsmann is not wrong to demand more - Nelson is capable of much more than just scoring.

That's very harsh. Seems like he holds him to higher standards than the players he already has there. It's really hard watching Hoffenheim. They struggle to do the basics, so it's actually a miracle he's doing as well as he is doing. If he can get to double figures, that would be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom