• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nelson only came on in the 89th minute today as Hoffenheim drop 2 points and drew 3-3 with Hertha Berlin after leading 3-1. Nowhere near enough time to make an impact and probably picked up a knock in the process after a foul - seemed to run very gingerly after that.

He did play 90 mins earlier in the week for the U21s, so I can forgive Nagelsmann's very conservative use of the 18 year old today - as long as he plays v Shakhtar on Tuesday. He may as well start that game.

Hoffenheim are still one of the dumbest teams I've ever watched :lol:. I'd like to see Nagelsmann manage a better squad.

They were a hell of a partnership at youth level. I thought we'd conquer the world when they grew up.
And Aliadiere/Pennant before them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Came on and played 15 mins in 10 man Hoffenheims 3-2 lose v Shahktar. He was excellent upon coming in, making some excellent dribbles and passes. However, he had an excellent scoring chance and scuffed it, which was unfortunate. He would normally have buried it and he should have. Still, excellent cameo.

He has to start the next game. Nagelsmann seems to be trying to AMOG him as a means of teaching him or at least to manage the hype levels but the simple fact is that he's far more effective than the likes of Belfodil and Szalai.

HBL

Established Member
Came on and played 15 mins in 10 man Hoffenheims 3-2 lose v Shahktar. He was excellent upon coming in, making some excellent dribbles and passes. However, he had an excellent scoring chance and scuffed it, which was unfortunate. He would normally have buried it and he should have. Still, excellent cameo.

He has to start the next game. Nagelsmann seems to be trying to AMOG him as a means of teaching him or at least to manage the hype levels but the simple fact is that he's far more effective than the likes of Belfodil and Szalai.
He is definitely being under-played at this point, it's getting a bit ridiculous imo. He is way more effective than any player in their squad with the exception of maybe Joelinton.

Three months into his loan now and he has only started 3 games I believe, he needs to play more.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Hoffenheim as a team are an eye sore, are they even a team ?, you really start to realize how privileged we are as Arsenal fans to watch our squad when we click, Reiss really should be starting for these lot by now, at this point I feel the coach is trying to prove a point by not starting him, and it's not working.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
What the hell is Nagelsman not starting Reiss Nelson for?

Seems like he is in the dog house for no reason but jealous from his teammates. Probably Nagelman instructed by his bosses to play the players that will be their next season or be forced to let go.

This would then make this loan pointless from January onwards.
Welcome back to Arsenal in Janaury Reiss - we need you.

I am thinking that we have hinted the idea of bringing him back in January, which probably has caused this.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Hoffeinhem have a run of 5 games in 15 days coming up starting next Saturday, he'll get more game time. Some of you need to chill, he's only 18 and needs to managed carefully. We saw what happened with Wilshere when you overload a youngster who's still developing physically.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What the hell is Nagelsman not starting Reiss Nelson for?

Seems like he is in the dog house for no reason but jealous from his teammates. Probably Nagelman instructed by his bosses to play the players that will be their next season or be forced to let go.

This would then make this loan pointless from January onwards.
Welcome back to Arsenal in Janaury Reiss - we need you.

I am thinking that we have hinted the idea of bringing him back in January, which probably has caused this.
I'm not sure it's that deep. Nagelsmann is still being tentative with him and while I think Nelson has been better than Belfodil, Nagelsmann will not want to overload Nelson nor stoke the fire of the hype around him. It's very frustrating but I trust Nagelsmann.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I'm not sure it's that deep. Nagelsmann is still being tentative with him and while I think Nelson has been better than Belfodil, Nagelsmann will not want to overload Nelson nor stoke the fire of the hype around him. It's very frustrating but I trust Nagelsmann.

I don't. German clubs will want to develop their own player - which is always a risk with loans.

A player that continually is scoring every 53 minutes - you don't sub him on for 5 minutes at the end.

He has proven himself, so naturally deserves more minutes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hoffenheim are infuriating to watch. So much bad decisions.

Decent cameo from Nelson but coming inside to receive too much. Understandable though - some terrible passes into him.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I guess I am the only one not caring about his minutes.
he’s learning tons being away, under good coach. Games aren’t played every day, but trainings are.
it’s all a good learning curve. wouldn’t even say him playing less is doing him any damage, if anything, it’s probably helping him/us

Last edited:

DasBootist

he’s learning tons being away, under good coach. Games aren’t played every game, but trainings are.
it’s all a good learning curve. wouldn’t even say him playing less is doing him any damage, if anything, it’s probably helping him/us
The point of the loan move is for Nelson to play competetive matches. He could train with better players at Arsenal, so one might argue that he needs to play more while at Hoffenheim.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
he’s learning tons being away, under good coach. Games aren’t played every game, but trainings are.
Nah, the whole reason he moved was to play matches. I think Nagelsmann is right to use him sparingly but he has to find the right balance. So far, he's been more reluctant than I would like to start him and give him substantial minutes - he's giving him decent sized cameos at least (although last week he only gave him one minute and then 15 minutes the next time, today he gave him a solid half an hour).

That Nelson's managed to score as many goals as he has with the small amount of minutes he's been given is quite extraordinary IMO, and as we saw with his miss v Shakhtar that level of conversion isn't entirely sustainable. He's going to need to keep that level up and continue moving beyond it because Nagelsmann has obviously set some very high standards for Nelson. I don't think it's a bad thing - Nelson could be every bit as good as Nagelsmann said he can be and he absolutely is an equal to Sancho, but he's going to have to continue to ascend and I think Nagelsmann eventually will help him do that. The only thing Nagelsmann could do IMO that would give Nelson more carrot to chase is to actually give him more minutes. Doesn't need to start every game IMO and I was fine with him being on the bench the last few weeks (except last week) but at the very least he needs more than half an hour cameos and the odd start in the Bundesliga.

He is 19... As long as he is a constant starter by the end of the season I'm fine with how things are going! He is getting more game time than he would get here.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Hoffeinhem have a run of 5 games in 15 days coming up starting next Saturday, he'll get more game time. Some of you need to chill, he's only 18 and needs to managed carefully. We saw what happened with Wilshere when you overload a youngster who's still developing physically.

Even Fabregas to a lesser extent.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Nah, the whole reason he moved was to play matches. I think Nagelsmann is right to use him sparingly but he has to find the right balance. So far, he's been more reluctant than I would like to start him and give him substantial minutes - he's giving him decent sized cameos at least (although last week he only gave him one minute and then 15 minutes the next time, today he gave him a solid half an hour).

That Nelson's managed to score as many goals as he has with the small amount of minutes he's been given is quite extraordinary IMO, and as we saw with his miss v Shakhtar that level of conversion isn't entirely sustainable. He's going to need to keep that level up and continue moving beyond it because Nagelsmann has obviously set some very high standards for Nelson. I don't think it's a bad thing - Nelson could be every bit as good as Nagelsmann said he can be and he absolutely is an equal to Sancho, but he's going to have to continue to ascend and I think Nagelsmann eventually will help him do that. The only thing Nagelsmann could do IMO that would give Nelson more carrot to chase is to actually give him more minutes. Doesn't need to start every game IMO and I was fine with him being on the bench the last few weeks (except last week) but at the very least he needs more than half an hour cameos and the odd start in the Bundesliga.

I disagree on a very first point you said (everything else is fine). We loaned him so once WE have him back we get a player with more experience, a more matured player. We did that so he trains with the first team each and every day, while at the same time he is not considered U23/21 and played for that team on most nights.
there you have a huge difference already, training and being a part of the first team on daily basis, instead of going up and down from youth to senior, while barely ever seriously considered a first team player.
on top of that, it’s a different league, different culture and completely new surroundings; which all makes you mature rapidly quicker then staying at familiar surroundings where he spent his whole life.

then you have complete different kind of pressure, in both scenarios, which, again, helps him being out there.

Game time is just one aspect of a loan that you could look at. Loaning a 25 year old player who you like but needs minutes after an injury, or is not really part of your plans for the next 6 months due to player selection you have, now that’s a loan deal where you would really need to secure him gametime.

Nelson is a super talent. Looking at his pure talent and skills while ignoring mental aspect of a game for a minute, he could easily already be a starter here.
but we are talking about a kid here, who rapidly went thru age groups and suddenly he was too good for U teams, but a huge risk to be given big role for the first team, especially at the moment when we got a new coach.

Loan was a great deal IMO, but it’s not really the game time he desperately needed, as undoubtedly he will get lot more out on loan then if he stayed (he would play CC games here and possible EL game or two in group stage).
it’s all those other little things you learn when thrown out there into the world, for the first time ever.
He could have been played a lot more and setting a world on fire, yet getting seriously injured, or get jadded and losing his confidence. Yet, same thing could happen if not played enough, BUT, whatever he really does for them is just a learning curve, cause it is all about what we get when he returns.

one of those nights he’ll be sitting there in his home in that village outside Hoff, thinking why he didnt play that day. There won’t be an option to go hang out with his buddies at familiar locations. he’ll have his Mom and brother, and a scheduled training to attend the next morning. And he’ll think ‘why’.
And he’ll know, or he’ll find out soon, it’s all because he is getting ready for Arsenal. he’ll know he needs to keep the head down and work. Because he’s there to learn, on the pitch, but even more; off the pitch. He’ll see it more clear, the life of a professional footballer. The importance of working hard, settling in, being a pro.
His mind will surely be more concentrated out there in the world, and even more determined.

still, on top of that, he is getting minutes, and it’s more important how many he gets as the season goes on. He already has the highest minutes played in a season at top flight, and its december 1st.
he’ll het there, safely. Rookie of a month. Goals scored,..
Patience, on our behalf, but most importantly on his behalf.

We need him back, matured, with stories to tell and points to prove, to us, not Hoffenheim.

and if you ask me, he is on a right track, and I wouldn’t change a bit so far.

I don’t want to even think about all the pressure he would get here, and possible questions he might have asked himself if he stayed and didn’t play, as he wouldn’t. I underatand he said he never even wanted to leave once his contract was up, but let’s not take that for granted, god knows would we even have him on our books if not for that loan.

it’s all working more then well so far, let’s not be shallow and look at the gametime and gametime only, cause it’s a prodigy we’re talking about here, and its always a thin line with those and how to deal with the process of fulfilling their very best

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom