• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom349

Dont understand the love for Nagglesman. Might not have the most talented team available to him but the way they play is dumb, no real structure just chaos.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

First time watching Hoffenheim in a Bundesliga game and they are one of the most frustrating teams to watch :lol: the decision making......

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
He'd find plenty of game time here. In the FA cup games, Europa league R32 R16, the odd premier cameos here and there. Horrendous cvnts the Hoffenheim players.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think this is the first time I seen you swear on here :lol:. Saw on twitter he's playing pretty decent can't watch the match though .
He's had better games but he had two pretty good chances, one he made himself. He deserved better today. He still needs to sustain pressure longer but he's getting better at it. Made a lot of good runs. I counted at least 6 times he had a free run and didn't get played in.

HBL

Established Member
Bring him back please.

We aren't going to lose anything by re-calling him, especially if we don't sign a winger in January. Who knows he could have a massive impact here and grow in confidence in the second half of the season and we might be able to cover that position until the summer at least.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bring him back please.

We aren't going to lose anything by re-calling him, especially if we don't sign a winger in January. Who knows he could have a massive impact here and grow in confidence in the second half of the season and we might be able to cover that position until the summer at least.
My heart agrees but I have mixed views personally.

Nelson so far this season has been the opposite of Iwobi and Mhkitaryan performance-wise. The latter two are highly involved in the build-up phase at Arsenal and see a lot of possession - they've also been reasonably good (Iwobi in particular) at getting the ball into the inside channels for the overlap, a hallmark of Emery's attacking play. Where they've suffered is in playing the clinical final balls and taking shooting chances. Iwobi takes a lot of bad shots and seems to have lost his ability to be in dangerous shooting positions in general, while Mhkitaryan is just an inconsistent finisher.

Nelson, on the otherhand, does not take as many touches for Hoffenheim. Much of that is to do with his teammates being terrible at passing to each other and as such, he is unable to influence play due to not receiving the ball from them. However, where he's been very effective is in chance creation and shooting. He's gotten into some dangerous areas quite frequently, either due to movement or his dribbling. He hasn't been able to utilize this as effectively as I think he can but I think that's little to do with Nagelsmann as a coach or Nelson himself but, again, his teammates are greedy bastards. I actually think Nagelsmann has improved Nelson's attacking movement at first team level. He's making better runs than last season.

I'd love for him to come back in January but if he does, then this has to happen:

- They need to trust him with the ball. Hoffenheim players regularly ignore him at crucial times in the attacking phase. Arsenal should not do this - they should trust him the same way they trust Iwobi and Mhkitaryan. Nelson's far better on the ball than people realize and he's not given enough opportunities to show it. His passing in particular is underrated and he honestly likes being on the ball and is comfortable.

- They need to find him in shooting positions. Nelson's gotten better at attacking space off the ball but Emery must encourage this and get Nelson in positions to shoot. His xG has started to revert now and he's missing some chances after a red hot scoring streak but he is still shooting at a decent rate and getting shots on target. Use him as the all-round attacker he is. I think if given this platform, he could potentially usurp both Iwobi and Mhkitaryan.

Now, he still does have a lot to work on. While - again - I don't think Hoffenheim players not passing him the ball helps, I do think that his performances - particularly in his starts - could be a little smoother but considering he's just turned 19, he's doing just fine IMO and needs more trust.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://understat.com/player/6492

Reiss' league stats including xG and xA. The chances he's creating aren't the strongest chances but he's getting a lot of decent passes in good areas. Compare his stats to other players on there to get an idea of where he's at despite the small sample size. There's a lot of end product possible with Nelson. It also shows where he's taking his shots from, and you can see they're mostly in the area in decent positions.

HBL

Established Member
My heart agrees but I have mixed views personally.

Nelson so far this season has been the opposite of Iwobi and Mhkitaryan performance-wise. The latter two are highly involved in the build-up phase at Arsenal and see a lot of possession - they've also been reasonably good (Iwobi in particular) at getting the ball into the inside channels for the overlap, a hallmark of Emery's attacking play. Where they've suffered is in playing the clinical final balls and taking shooting chances. Iwobi takes a lot of bad shots and seems to have lost his ability to be in dangerous shooting positions in general, while Mhkitaryan is just an inconsistent finisher.

Nelson, on the otherhand, does not take as many touches for Hoffenheim. Much of that is to do with his teammates being terrible at passing to each other and as such, he is unable to influence play due to not receiving the ball from them. However, where he's been very effective is in chance creation and shooting. He's gotten into some dangerous areas quite frequently, either due to movement or his dribbling. He hasn't been able to utilize this as effectively as I think he can but I think that's little to do with Nagelsmann as a coach or Nelson himself but, again, his teammates are greedy bastards. I actually think Nagelsmann has improved Nelson's attacking movement at first team level. He's making better runs than last season.

I'd love for him to come back in January but if he does, then this has to happen:

- They need to trust him with the ball. Hoffenheim players regularly ignore him at crucial times in the attacking phase. Arsenal should not do this - they should trust him the same way they trust Iwobi and Mhkitaryan. Nelson's far better on the ball than people realize and he's not given enough opportunities to show it. His passing in particular is underrated and he honestly likes being on the ball and is comfortable.

- They need to find him in shooting positions. Nelson's gotten better at attacking space off the ball but Emery must encourage this and get Nelson in positions to shoot. His xG has started to revert now and he's missing some chances after a red hot scoring streak but he is still shooting at a decent rate and getting shots on target. Use him as the all-round attacker he is. I think if given this platform, he could potentially usurp both Iwobi and Mhkitaryan.

Now, he still does have a lot to work on. While - again - I don't think Hoffenheim players not passing him the ball helps, I do think that his performances - particularly in his starts - could be a little smoother but considering he's just turned 19, he's doing just fine IMO and needs more trust.

I agree that he has done well the majority of the time he has played, he hasn't gotten the game time his performances have warranted. Four starts isn't it? That's rubbish.

Think he'd certainly get more of the ball, it's our strikers that haven't seen too much of the ball so far this season; particularly Aubameyang. I also believe we actually need Nelson in the second half of the season, with Özil seemingly out of favour, Welbeck injured, Ramsey out of contract and the inconsistencies of our other wingers we are looking depleted at the minute. Especially when you consider Ramsey was being slammed on here for the majority of the season up until the Sp**s game but now every wants him back playing, we can't make someone that is leaving next summer one of the vocal points of our attack.

Fans would be patient with him as well, maybe not some on here but in the stadium they'd certainly get behind him.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Hoffenheim play in half an hour. Injuries to their front line, including Joelinton. Logically, Nelson must start right?

He's on the bench. Grifo and Belfodil start.

I've had enough. Bring him back.

That's the way for a 19 years old.

You have to accept that he will not play, just because he is a loan from Arsenal. Of course all Arsenal fans want him to play, but if he can't enforce against players like Grifo and Belfodil, then he will not play a big role at Arsenal too at the moment.

But that's quite normal for a youngster. He had a fantastic run and all hyped him, but that's Bundesliga and you have to deliver in every game.

He will not play just because he is talented.
He still has massive weaknesses in his defensive work and has to offer more in every game - 1 or 2 good actions aren't enough on this level.
But that's quite normal for a youngster, but we have to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom