• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Let's play Aubamawang

I don’t think it’s wise to give him until end of the season. We need reinforcement as soon as January starts. Until the Nottingham sub no one cared for Nelson or thought he was good enough. To throw away the best start we had in about 15 years on a gamble would be highly disappointment.
I've always thought he's good enough. The loan last year made a huge difference to his maturity and he's now playing like he wants to stay rather than playing safe to avoid Arteta benching him. Hopefully Arteta makes the most of the WC break to help Nelson show his true ability.

Btw I'm not against signing someone like Mudryk or Gakpo, I just hope he gets more chances in January, then maybe later in the window we can go all in if necessary.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
You have to say it's all chips in for Reiss this season...hes literally playing for his career here.

I like what I saw of him in those clips above. Doing it consistently & against better opposition will be the real test. I hope he can show us what hes got - he could be a useful player to have.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Really wished he would have got more minutes vs Wolves after his last performances vs Forest and Brighton.

Saka haven't had his best game and we after the 0:2 it was the perfect moment. He is full of confidence at the moment and it would be good to know, if he can stay as rotation player or he will leave in summer.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

As soon as he arrived back at Arsenal this summer, Reiss Nelson felt like he was home.
Nelson had just spent last season on loan at Dutch club Feyenoord and, upon returning to Arsenal’s training base at London Colney, he recalls having a “warm, joyful feeling” in his heart.

The winger had similar emotions on Friday, as he visited his old primary school, Michael Faraday, to unveil a new astroturf pitch that he has personally funded.

It was at that school that Nelson took his first steps in football, honing his skills in the playground, but the new 4G pitch he has paid for is in stark contrast to the one he played on there growing up.

“I remember playing on the concrete floor and coming home with bruises and cuts on my legs from playing all the time,” Nelson tells Standard Sport.

“In school there were no rules, you just had 100 kids running after one football. It was in the playground so you had all these obstacles in your way - benches, teachers walking around with their tea, everything.

“Sometimes you miss those days and you just want to go back, remember when you had school at 9am but you’d get in at 8.30am just to chase the football around with all your friends.”

It is a sign of how highly-rated Nelson was as a young footballer that he first thought of funding a new pitch for his school when he was still only 10.

By that age, Nelson had been in Arsenal’s academy for three years and big things were expected of him.

Everyone was convinced the young boy from south London would turn professional and that includes Mikel Arteta, who first worked with Nelson when he was 13 as the Spaniard worked towards his coaching badges during the final days of his playing career.

“He kept putting on these sessions and I would just get the ball and dribble past everyone,” recalls Nelson.

“He would just laugh and put his arm round me, making me feel comfortable. It’s the same thing now.

“That’s one of the things we all love about Mikel, his man-management skills. In my view, he is just a genius in how he takes the sessions, how he takes the games, how he communicates with people and delivers on a match day.”

Despite shining as a youngster, it has not been an easy ride for Nelson. The 22-year-old has struggled for minutes at Arsenal and last season he went on loan to Feyenoord in search of more gametime.

GettyImages-1395602410.jpg

Getty Images

It was the second occasion he has done so, having joined German side Hoffenheim on loan back in 2018, and he hopes he will be better for the experience.

“I’ve matured as the first time I went abroad I was only 18,” says Nelson. “I didn’t have my family there [in Germany] so much, so I struggled a bit, but this time I had my family there quite a lot.

“London is a very fast life, it’s just alive all the time and it’s just the small things like being able to see your friends all the time that you miss. That was one of the main things I missed when I was abroad.”

The friends Nelson missed include the likes of Kofi and Tobi, who went to school with him at Michael Faraday and accompanied him on Friday to unveil the new pitch.

Nelson now lives in north London, but he still has a flat in the south where he grew up. Often the winger heads down there to go to the old barbers and shops he used to visit, or to speak to the youth workers he spent time with growing up.

Nelson missed all that while he was away. He missed Arsenal too, although he admits the club has changed since he left it last year.

“The atmosphere around the training ground is just so alive,” he says. “Everyone just wants the best for each other.

Having that in a team where you can all be open to speak, good or bad, is just amazing.

“Everyone is really caring. That’s another thing, a lot of changing rooms they just want results but they don’t care about individuals and how people are. I feel like at this club everyone genuinely cares for each other and wants the best for each other.”

Nelson thinks that the close age range of the squad has helped create unity, but he has also praised Arteta for his role too.

“He does a lot of things off the pitch in terms of team bonding,” says Nelson. “It’s so important to have a manager that understands there is life off the pitch.

“There are times where we will literally be in a room, we’ll all be sitting in a circle and everyone is speaking with Mikel in the middle, just giving wisdom and encouraging people to feel good about themselves. Having that in a team where you can all be open to speak among each other, good or bad, is just amazing.

“I feel like everyone is rowing the boat the same way and there is no one trying to do an interview if they get upset or if they are not in the team. If you are on the bench, we are literally cheering and so happy for the guy in our position.”

Nelson is currently one of those vying to get in the starting XI more, but he is determined to keep fighting.

newFile-5.jpg

Arsenal via Getty

The winger is into the final year of his contract at Arsenal and he would love nothing more than to shine enough to secure a new deal.

“I feel like Arsenal is the club for me at this moment in time,” Nelson says. “I have been here for so long and I’m very comfortable here.

“Of course, I want to play games and I want to play week in, week out, but I feel like at this moment in time I am at a place where I am only going to get better. I feel someone like Mikel is a coach that I need right now in my career, in terms of taking me to the next step.

“My head is not focusing on whether I need to get a team in January or talking to other teams, or doing this or that. It’s literally, how can I perform at the highest of heights when I get the opportunity?

“I am an Arsenal fan and, of course, I want to sign a new contract at the club. I am just going to be ready for anything I get now and give my all for the team.”

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Would be great if Nelson could still make it at Arsenal. It has likely been more mental than other things that he hasn't succeeded, and it's totally possible he is a late bloomer.

It's just getting tough for him to get enough game-time that he would need, especially if next year we have UCL. The quality of depth has to improve, so if they buy someone like Mudryk, Nelson will only get cup games etc. And there is still ESR, although he might go central.

Nelson really has to fire it up during the rest of the season, to show he is of the required level to depend on more.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Would be great if Nelson could still make it at Arsenal. It has likely been more mental than other things that he hasn't succeeded, and it's totally possible he is a late bloomer.

It's just getting tough for him to get enough game-time that he would need, especially if next year we have UCL. The quality of depth has to improve, so if they buy someone like Mudryk, Nelson will only get cup games etc. And there is still ESR, although he might go central.

Nelson really has to fire it up during the rest of the season, to show he is of the required level to depend on more.
Unfortunately I think Mudryk would be the end for Nelson, just wouldn't be enough minutes for him to continue to develop 😢

Let's see what happens! He certainly seems a changed man in terms of maturity and dedication.

D

Deleted member 102404

Unfortunately I think Mudryk would be the end for Nelson, just wouldn't be enough minutes for him to continue to develop 😢

Let's see what happens! He certainly seems a changed man in terms of maturity and dedication.

Major part of the reason I don't like the focus on transfers. Players need time to establish themselves/gain confidence etc. Dumping players before they can fully develop just doesn't seem smart to me - either financially or for the stability of the squad. Obviously we need to sign players, but give them time. Nelson has played just 1500 minutes of first team PL football. It's not enough.
Easy to get carried sway with shiny new things - how much better (if at all) is Murdyk than Nelson? I don't know the answer but I suspect the difference is small.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Major part of the reason I don't like the focus on transfers. Players need time to establish themselves/gain confidence etc. Dumping players before they can fully develop just doesn't seem smart to me - either financially or for the stability of the squad. Obviously we need to sign players, but give them time. Nelson has played just 1500 minutes of first team PL football. It's not enough.
Easy to get carried sway with shiny new things - how much better (if at all) is Murdyk than Nelson? I don't know the answer but I suspect the difference is small.
I don't know, mate, but I trust this this regime to make the right decision, and it feels amazing to say that.

It's a really, really tricky balance to strike, being aggressive in the market to really push the team to the top, top level and keep it there, while also staying true to our club values--which is one of the great gifts and legacies of Mr. Wenger--of giving real chances to contribute to the best products of our fine academy.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

In short: Arteta is a genius who copied Pep's tactics, the squad go on bonding sessions to the spa, he wants to stay at Arsenal forever and that he is trying to finish primary school right now.
Maybe I been to hasty to court him out. Definitely has a lot of time to make it

Melquiades

It's funny.

Normally when we talk about mental holdups as a young player we're talking about guys who are selfish bad team players or dumb as rocks or who are lazy and prone to the distractions of fame.

Nelson's problem appears to be that he's just ... too nice, and not confident or aggressive enough. He seems like such a nice kid and decent human being but kind of a beta personality without the self-belief you usually see in top players.

It seems like he's really made strides this season in taking charge of his career and I'm really cheering for him to succeed.

TheDrunkenMaster

If we want to challenge for titles we have to be ruthless. Is Nelson good enough for that level? No, So we should let him move on, he is turning 23 next month and if he is serious about his career he should leave in the summer

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
It's funny.

Normally when we talk about mental holdups as a young player we're talking about guys who are selfish bad team players or dumb as rocks or who are lazy and prone to the distractions of fame.

Nelson's problem appears to be that he's just ... too nice, and not confident or aggressive enough. He seems like such a nice kid and decent human being but kind of a beta personality without the self-belief you usually see in top players.

It seems like he's really made strides this season in taking charge of his career and I'm really cheering for him to succeed.
Too many psychologists on the internet lol. Nelson is a beta? You think you can dominate every level you were playing in till first team by being too nice?? Nelson always played with so much swagger when he was younger, he would have been the last prospect I would say had confidence issues. Dude was borderline cocky with his play and demeanor. Development is not linear. Also when he was on loan in Germany, there were rumors he had some attitude issues and was not adapting to the system. Was strange cause he was consistently scoring important goals every time he played. Think he is simply a player that needs a lot of support and needs to be close to family and friends.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom