• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

As the other poster above has said there are no guarantees in football.

Competition means earning your place. Competition means turning up every single day and proving you are better in training than the next man. Fail to do that then fail to get minutes.
Imagine what kind of information clubs and managers have in training, when they have so much on match days.

Arteta as a former player surely observes a lot what happens in training, so he might have some information we don't, when selecting players and understanding his decisions.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
not that I feel sorry for a guy being payed millions for this, but yeah, I like him and would rather see him having a career with a chance of being a bit more of a protagonist.

Let's play Aubamawang

The club would never accept such a clause.
True, but the 'recognition that he's an important member of the squad' sounds like it was ripped out of Fifa contract negotiations. It might not guarantee him a certain number of minutes, but unofficially says he will get opportunities. Certainly more opportunities than he was given this season.

Sparrahork

I think the consensus would be that should he sign a new contract he is likely to get more minutes, provided he continues to do what he has this season.

Tets will have had some say in whether he wants him, by the contract being offered the suggestion is he does and he is on his radar, that will go some way to breaking that outer circle from named sub to regular replacement.

He (and we) will benefit from the increased confidence he will gain from knowing he is wanted at the club. Breaking the inner circle of being a starter is likely to be based on an opportunity caused by injury, however given the number of matches we will have next season I expect he will feel he is a semi regular anyway.

Many are saying he would do better to leave, I think that if he stays fit he will feature in double the matches he did this season, and possibly as many minutes on the pitch if he were to join a Fulham or Bournemouth.

We play a lot more matches than them, Reiss can also play a number of roles meaning he should get game time if he proves himself in training and replicates this on match days

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
He's probably betting on Saka's burnout happening earlier now that we're in CL I guess?

"Recognition that he's an important member of the squad" seems like your standard employer drivel, the sports world version of emotional salary and all the other nonsense.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

So failure to get minutes is always because of failure to have proven you're good enough in training, there are no other possible reasons?

vicky-pollard-yeah-but-no-but.gif

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
not that I feel sorry for a guy being payed millions for this, but yeah, I like him and would rather see him having a career with a chance of being a bit more of a protagonist.

Yea if I was his agent or Dad I'd pushing for him to sign for a Bundisliga club. Find a 4 year deal with a £30m PL release clause. That way like Halaand, he can demand a huge signing on fee and wages when he moves

The league is easier to look good in and there will be less competition for places at most clubs. I mean he already bagged 7 BL goals off 600 minutes and he's better now. Let him get a break out season or 2 in the BL and then he gets a PL move on big wages with much more experience and confidence under his belt.

It's look like he's staying though so I really hope Mikel doesn't kill his career and he plays more

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

So failure to get minutes is always because of failure to have proven you're good enough in training, there are no other possible reasons?

Nah it’s never tactical reasons, or a manager wanting to stamp his authority on a team..

Or just the manager being scared to deviate from what he knows and trusting others more. It’s 100% the player not being good enough in training.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
No. There are other reasons. Performances of others. Tactics. Experience etc.

The other person said Nelson deserved more because he scored a 97th minute winner. However I explained you need to do more than just that to get regular minutes.

Training was one thing I suggested as a factor.

This all started because someone said if they were Nelsons agent they'd be asking for guaranteed minutes before signing. Do you agree that a player should get "guaranteed minutes?

Obviously there is a firm agenda to use Nelsons game time to bash Arteta. That's up to whoever chooses that route.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He should've gone to AC Milan or Brighton instead of riding the bench at Arsenal. Seems like a lack of ambition in my eyes because he's never gonna be a starter if we're being honest.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
No. There are other reasons. Performances of others. Tactics. Experience etc.

The other person said Nelson deserved more because he scored a 97th minute winner. However I explained you need to do more than just that to get regular minutes.

Training was one thing I suggested as a factor.

This all started because someone said if they were Nelsons agent they'd be asking for guaranteed minutes before signing. Do you agree that a player should get "guaranteed minutes?

Obviously there is a firm agenda to use Nelsons game time to bash Arteta. That's up to whoever chooses that route.
I'm pretty sure everything you said is well known by everybody, even if @grange is American he most likely didn't mean the quip "guaranteed minutes" literally. The concept of players forcing themselves into the starting XI or rewarding good performances with more playing time is well known to most people too though clearly not to everyone.

What's up to everyone to choose btw is being able to criticise the decision of a coach to not field a player who's in red hot form and to instead make excuses which no one can confirm or disprove. Even if the same coach did the same thing a year ago with Pepe vs Wolves. It's always "the player needs to do more" never "the coach needs to learn to use his squad" with some.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I'm pretty sure everything you said is well known by everybody, even if @grange is American he most likely didn't mean the quip "guaranteed minutes" literally. The concept of players forcing themselves into the starting XI or rewarding good performances with more playing time is well known to most people too though clearly not to everyone.

What's up to everyone to choose btw is being able to criticise the decision of a coach to not field a player who's in red hot form and to instead make excuses which no one can confirm or disprove. Even if the same coach did the same thing a year ago with Pepe vs Wolves. It's always "the player needs to do more" never "the coach needs to learn to use his squad" with some.
Red hot form? Nelson was excellent against Forest and changed the game. After that he was thrown on when we were throwing everything at the opposition. Hardly red hot form or maybe thats been said in jest too.

The coach of course needs to use his squad at times better but when playing 1 game a week there is little need for "rotation" for "rotations sake.

We seen Vieira play against Soton and he was absolutely terrible. I was there and he looked like he had never played football in his life. That was a clear indication as to why Arteta hasn't given him more minutes.

We seen Tomi come in for the City match and he was terrible gifted KDB the opening goal. That was rotation.

Holding came in as wasnt great.

We have seen numerous times that our squad players are miles of our first team and that's why they aren't used.

You will see next year when we have 16-17 good first team players and playing twice a week more rotation. But with 1 game a week it's not always easy to do so.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Red hot form? Nelson was excellent against Forest and changed the game. After that he was thrown on when we were throwing everything at the opposition. Hardly red hot form or maybe thats been said in jest too.

The coach of course needs to use his squad at times better but when playing 1 game a week there is little need for "rotation" for "rotations sake.

We seen Vieira play against Soton and he was absolutely terrible. I was there and he looked like he had never played football in his life. That was a clear indication as to why Arteta hasn't given him more minutes.

We seen Tomi come in for the City match and he was terrible gifted KDB the opening goal. That was rotation.

Holding came in as wasnt great.

We have seen numerous times that our squad players are miles of our first team and that's why they aren't used.

You will see next year when we have 16-17 good first team players and playing twice a week more rotation. But with 1 game a week it's not always easy to do so.
Yes red hot form. His one start before he got two goals and an assist, then he comes on and completely changes momentum of the game and scores a last minute screamer. What else would you consider good form for a player who barely gets a look in?

As for the rest more player blaming as usual. What's the point of mentioning these other guys anyway when we're talking about Nelson who had three goals and two assists in 90 minutes before, that's beyond Haaland level numbers and you're making excuses talking about getting 17 first team players.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yes red hot form. His one start before he got two goals and an assist, then he comes on and completely changes momentum of the game and scores a last minute screamer. What else would you consider good form for a player who barely gets a look in?

As for the rest more player blaming as usual. What's the point of mentioning these other guys anyway when we're talking about Nelson who had three goals and two assists in 90 minutes before, that's beyond Haaland level numbers and you're making excuses talking about getting 17 first team players.
Firstly Nelson played other games this season and didn't have red hot form. Did you watch our EL campaign?

There's a big difference impacting a match in the last 15 mins when one team is defending for their lives and you are only having to play 1 way.

It's like throwing Holding on the last 10 mins to defend the box. Just because he does that specific role, making 3 or 4 important clearances and a tackle or two doesn't mean you're going to call for him to start the next game.

There's no player blaming, people make mistakes. I'm saying if I'm a manager and I give an important role in a match to a player and he doesn't execute it, its hard to continue playing him at the expense of players who are doing it.

There's no excuses. I've criticised Arteta for sticking with Holding instead of Kiwior. I've criticised Arteta for not trying different tactics against City for example. I'm not here to blow smoke up Mikels ass. He's a good manager but has a lot to learn.

But what I do know is that if a manager is preferring an out of form Martinelli/Saka over Nelson its not because he doesn't like the boy or wants to stamp his authority. He simply thinks they will perform better and in all likelihood the analysts at the club think the same.

And if Arteta had an agenda against Nelson or whatever or was just being a **** would he push to hand him a new contract? Because we know Arteta and Edu work together. If they are trying to resign him it's because they think he may offer some decent squad rotation whether that be in Carabao/FA cup or the last 15 mins or so in matches.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom