• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Reiss Nelson (Loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I think it's telling that it is the Championship the club are looking at loaning him out in. Maybe it'll be more guaranteed game time but it's not a promising sign to me.
If it works for ESR it can work for him. ESR made his prem debut a while ago and been a cup player much like Reiss.

I don't think the quality between Prem and Championship is that massive as many championship signings have shown over the years.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think it's telling that it is the Championship the club are looking at loaning him out in. Maybe it'll be more guaranteed game time but it's not a promising sign to me.

It made sense with ESR going to Huddersfield on loan but Reiss has been considered a first time player for quite some time. He should be a lower Premier League level in terms of loans by now really.

Who’d you send him to though down there?

Sheffield Utd - Play five at the back with two strikers

West Brom - Allardyce likes using a flat midfield and can’t imagine him suiting their football

Fulham - Strongest area is wide players

Burnley - Good wide players already and again a very flat midfield

Newcastle - Spent a lot of money on wide players recently

Brighton - Play five at the back with two strikers

Crystal Palace - Don't really use wingers

The lad just needs game time and a lot of the lower clubs either don’t use his position or need in form players.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If it works for ESR it can work for him. ESR made his prem debut a while ago and been a cup player much like Reiss.

I don't think the quality between Prem and Championship is that massive as many championship signings have shown over the years.
It's physically intense, the technical level is down for sure. Nelson doesn't struggle technically as Willock, that's why it's not the worst idea for him to go there and get some confidence playing against physically stronger players

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Who’d you send him to though down there?

Sheffield Utd - Play five at the back with two strikers

West Brom - Allardyce likes using a flat midfield and can’t imagine him suiting their football

Fulham - Strongest area is wide players

Burnley - Good wide players already and again a very flat midfield

Newcastle - Spent a lot of money on wide players recently

Brighton - Play five at the back with two strikers

Crystal Palace - Don't really use wingers

The lad just needs game time and a lot of the lower clubs either don’t use his position or need in form players.
That, plus the facts that most of the managers in that group don't fancy technical football

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

It made sense with ESR going to Huddersfield on loan but Reiss has been considered a first time player for quite some time now. He should be a lower Premier League level in terms of loans by this stage of his development really.
I'm not so sure the Championship is a bad idea considering how many players have developed there. Just looking at the England squad, you have Pickford/Henderson/Trippier/Maguire/James/Bellingham/Grealish/Maddison/Mount/Kane/Abraham who all had stints in the league.

If he was a bit older, it might be a cause for concern but having just turned 21 I think a Championship loan could be beneficial for him.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Like Saliba, should’ve been loaned at the beginning of the season. No harm done though. Hopefully he develops on a trajectory like ESR.

Impact

Established Member
Other point to add is that the stakes are far too high for a bottom-half Premier League side to give development time to a young player joining at the half-way point of the season, especially one that they do not own or have an option to purchase.

Best option is an upper-half Championship team that plays decent football. He needs a stretch of games to get his confidence and fitness back. That's what we did with Smith Rowe and it's what we need to do more often. And as has been said the level of the Championship is far higher than given credit for. As a league, it's on par with the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 for me, once you take out the top 3 or so in those leagues.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Other point to add is that the stakes are far too high for a bottom-half Premier League side to give development time to a young player joining at the half-way point of the season, especially one that they do not own or have an option to purchase.

Best option is an upper-half Championship team that plays decent football. He needs a stretch of games to get his confidence and fitness back. That's what we did with Smith Rowe and it's what we need to do more often. And as has been said the level of the Championship is far higher than given credit for. As a league, it's on par with the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 for me, once you take out the top 3 or so in those leagues.
Doesn't even necessarily have to be upper-half. Huddersfield were terrible.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

It made sense with ESR going to Huddersfield on loan but Reiss has been considered a first time player for quite some time now. He should be a lower Premier League level in terms of loans by this stage of his development really.

Doesn't say much to me. He's 20. What PL team loans a 20 year old to start for them who's had limited game time?

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Weird that he's now 21.

Clock is ticking, but he's got a lot of talent. It's mostly mental with him. He's still too within himself and doesn't play instinctively.

A Championship loan would be great.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He had a loan spell of two sides at Hoffenheim. The first half being really good and scoring a lot of goals despite his game time, and the second half not being near the first team. He must have had some issues with the manager or got home sick.

I don't get why we haven't loaned him since then. Perhaps the fact that the loan move there didnt work out the way he wanted it to is playing in his head. He needs a new fresh loan where he plays week in week out. I don't want to cast judgement on his future here until he's given 6-12 months of consistent minutes.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm not knocking him as I like him as a player but he's looking at going from playing 27 Bundesliga games and 5 Champions League games 2 years ago, to playing in the Championship this season.

That's not what'd you'd hope for in terms of development, however people want to sugar coat it. If 2 years ago you were told that you'd be very disappointed .

Don't really get the ESR comparisons. He'd never played a PL game when he went to Huddersfield. He needed to get to grips with first team football out of the limelight and to develop. Nelson has been much more of a first team player over the past 2 years than ESR ever was before his spell at Huddersfield.

Last edited:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I'm not knocking him as I like him as a player but he's looking at going from playing 27 Bundesliga games and 5 Champions League games 2 years ago, to playing in the Championship this season.

That's not what'd you'd hope for in terms of development, however people want to sugar coat it. If 2 years ago you were told that you'd be very disappointed .

Don't really get the ESR comparisons. He'd never played a PL game when he went to Huddersfield. He needed to get to grips with first team football out of the limelight and to develop. Nelson has been much more of a first team player over the past 2 years than ESR ever was before his spell at Huddersfield.
Almost all of those 27 games he came off the bench though

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think this is the perfect time to send Nelson on loan and the Championship makes sense.

In another country he might struggle to adapt to the culture, and the loan would be a waste. We don't doubt Nelson's talent, he just needs minutes. He's more likely to get minutes in the Championship than in the EPL. Sending him to a worse team in the EPL and having him sit on the bench could undermine his confidence.

If he's going to have a career at Arsenal, he needs minutes now so that he can take his game to another level. He's not going to get those minutes with us. But I think it is obvious that he has gotten better this season. Hopefully, he can show that improvement while he's on loan and come back an even better player.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Really needs to go and get games so this would be great to hopefully get his confidence up. Brentford seem to be good at developing younger players so they'd be a team I'd be keen for him to go on loan to.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Go Reiss go.

It's all in his head and he needs to grow some cojones. Come back and claim the left.

Would be so big for us, if he could get his confidence back on track and make some big steps on his development like ESR did.

Remember when he just joined Hoffenheim and he basically banged them in for fun, just having short periods of game time as a joker.

Then he had several injuries and completely lost his rhythm whilst also not being trusted by Nagelsmann no more.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I say send him to Reading on loan and open a channel with them to sign Omar Richards. Then loan Omar to Southampton on a year and half loan to open a channel for Bertrand to come here without any transfer fee this Jan. Next summer use that channel to send Willock on loan to Southampton.

Keep this channel opening up and we'll rack up a lot of British players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom