• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
The perfect time to for Nelson to break through was when Arteta first came. He was even seen as Arteta's favourite. He got a lot of game time and started lots of PL games iirc
Yeah think he featured in most games, even got the winner against Leeds. Arteta was praising him a lot then he got injured and struggled to work his way in again.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Shame he turned down another loan move, think another Bundesliga loan following his spell at Hoffenheim would have been advantageous for both parties.

Iceman10

Established Member

With niggling injuries it is probably better for peace of mind to keep him from other clubs to take care of him. Mikel has said he was impressed with Reiss going into early Dec before the niggling injury issues. If we want to keep and develop him going into next season we will have to see at least one of Willian and Pepe out of the door though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You get the feeling his chance here has passed him by unfortunately.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If he goes out on loan in it would benefit his future. If he stays here I dont see how he'll get mins. If he was going to make any kind of impression at Arsenal he would have made it by now!

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He needs to play games. Tammy Abraham looked dreadful at Swansea but it clicked for him at Villa.

It’s never going to happen for Nelson if he’s not playing.
He got a lot of game time last season to be fair for a reserves player. I’m not saying it’s right, just saying his situation isn’t unique at all.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bit of a weird decision not to loan him. Unless Arteta plans to rotate him into the team, doesn't make sense having him not play any football - it's largely one of the reasons he gets so many niggles after one or two games IMO.

I do think he'll have an easier time being Saka's backup rather than trying to get onto his better position on the left. He didn't perform when Martinelli got hurt (I half expected but was nonetheless disappointing) and with Auba pretty much slotting back into that role, Reiss is not going to bench either of those two guys any time soon. Saka has nailed down RW quite strongly. That leaves 2 positions he could conceivably play. That's rotation for Saka or rotation for ESR (longshot). ESR has literally no competition for his role who could play it the way he does. Reiss is the only other talent capable of doing it. It was his original position when he was an U18 and also the position he played most when he was PL2 player of the year. He's always been typecasted as a winger but he often played his best football when he was able to drift around from central to wide - in a similar fashion to the way ESR is currently doing. While not quite as creative as ESR, he's still very capable of combining well in those areas and is an imaginative footballer at his best (his best has not been seen for a long while though).

There's the possibility of the RW but we really would have to drop one of Pepe and Willian out of the squad to do it. Neither player has performed particularly well, Pepe only marginally better than a really poor Willian. Nelson could quite easily scalp them with one huge performance/cameo but he would need to be played first. I just don't see that happening at this point. He really should be getting loaned.

We'll have to see what happens.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I’d rather our record signing got game time, even if it meant we just to recoup some of what we paid this summer. I know people would rather never see him again but I don’t see what good that does for the club.

If our record signing gets binned after having this kinda season what hope is Reiss realistically gonna have? I just don’t see it.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1667503

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Nicolas Pepe
It is unusual for opposite wide men to strike up a successful partnership, but that is the case at Arsenal.

As inverted wingers who both like to drive inside on to their stronger foot, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and club-record signing Nicolas Pepe have become the Gunners’ most effective duo.

On the same wavelength
These two attackers do not play in close proximity to one another on the pitch and only share on average 3.4 passes per match.

But the quality of their link-up play is extremely difficult for defenders to handle.

An impressive 17 of 53 successful passes between them, or 32 per cent, have ended with a scoring opportunity for one of them.

This makes them the most efficient duo in the Premier League for chances created, ahead of Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero.

Fewest passes to create chances*
Player 1
Player 2 Combined chances created Passes/chance created
Pepe
Aubameyang 17 3.12
De Bruyne Aguero 24 3.29
James Rashford 13 4.31
Salah Mane 19 4.58
Redmond Armstrong 11 4.73
*minimum 50 passes in 2019/20

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
He’s simply not good enough. At this point our priority should be maximizing his value so we can get the best possible deal when we sell him. No use developing him in our team there are many other better players who need the minutes. Send on loan and sell. One of many overrated youngsters who wasn’t good enough to make it.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Him not getting minutes is not a reflection of his ability tbh, neither for Reiss or Pepe (people will spin that lie off 4 starts in the league this season but it's false).

With most of the young players on the fringes at the club they are definitely capable of performing once they go, you can't write them off.

Just slap on a buyback or sell-on clause like a properly run club would do and let the boy play.

Part of it is on Nelson though, the club does try to get him to play elsewhere and he knocks them back and chooses to stay sitting on his arse. C'est la vie.

Top Bottom