• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Sancho and Gnabry just shows what playing week in week out in your early twenties does for a player. Neither would be half the player they are today had they stayed at their prem clubs.

Reiss has a big decision to make after this season, as I feel Arsenal have taken him as far as they are willing to take him.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
1 goal in a season. Think he's scored 2 league goals for us ever in probably around 40 appearances.

Right. Now compare that to Saka or Martinelli.

Lacazette scored against Liverpool as well. I get your logic actually - let's give him a new contract.
Every player is different.

He scored against Liverpool and basically that was his last game for us. He deserves a longer run. Same with AMN who was playing very nicely before being dropped.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member

He scored against Liverpool and basically that was his last game for us. He deserves a longer run. Same with AMN who was playing very nicely before being dropped.
Would definitely prefer these two along with ESR get a proper run in to see what their about, enough of this flaffing about with old man willian and underperforming pepe, give riess a go a proper 3 to 4 game run out wide, AMN a chance where Ceballos has been playing, I would actually get excited for games again...

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This is probably the main problem I have with Arteta. You cannot expect a player to just come in from the cold and perform on an intermittent basis. Players need rhythm.

Pepe - When will he get a sustained amount of time in the side. Game to game, even if he performs below par, when will he have the trust to play the next game?

Willock, Nelson, AMN - Where have they gone?

Elneny has done nothing to warrant being benched.

I want to try to understand, Ceballos, Xhaka, Mustafi when we had more than just him fit, Nketiah and lacazette, why do they get so many minutes?

Ceballos had a really poor game last game. He played worse than I have ever seen Willock play. Xhaka played 8 forward passes in 90 minutes, yet passed over 100 times. Why is he so lenient on these players? Even Willian wasn't performing well. What justified him playing ahead of even Nketiah?

It just baffles me. Nelson was playing well and looking good, but he has dropped down the pecking order because there are more players in his position. They aren't playing well and if Nelson doesn't come in tonight and do the business after not playing for God knows how long, he will be thrown out in the cold, and players who have been playing more regularly and underperforming will get back in the team. That makes no sense to me.

What's the best that can happen from tonight. Say Nelson gets a hat trick of assists, ESR scores, AMN runs the midfield and has a flawless game. What will come from that?

Well done lads, we have a lot of competition for places, let's see how well dani does in training and you may get a spot on the bench if you match him, it won't even matter how well they play.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is probably the main problem I have with Arteta. You cannot expect a player to just come in from the cold and perform on an intermittent basis. Players need rhythm.

Pepe - When will he get a sustained amount of time in the side. Game to game, even if he performs below par, when will he have the trust to play the next game?

I want to try to understand, Ceballos, Xhaka, Mustafi when we had more than just him fit, Nketiah and lacazette, why do they get so many minutes?

Ceballos had a really poor game last game. He played worse than I have ever seen Willock play. Xhaka played 8 forward passes in 90 minutes, yet passed over 100 times. Why is he so lenient on these players? Even Willian wasn't performing well. What justified him playing ahead of even Nketiah?

It just baffles me. Nelson was playing well and looking good, but he has dropped down the pecking order because there are more players in his position. They aren't playing well and if Nelson doesn't come in tonight and do the business after not playing for God knows how long, he will be thrown out in the cold, and players who have been playing more regularly and underperforming will get back in the team. That makes no sense to me.

What's the best that can happen from tonight. Say Nelson gets a hat trick of assists, ESR scores, AMN runs the midfield and has a flawless game. What will come from that?

Well done lads, we have a lot of competition for places, let's see how well dani does in training and you may get a spot on the bench if you match him, it won't even matter how well they play.
Yeah. probably after a very long time we have a set of academy players who can play in the first team.

Say waht you will about hm, but Wenger would never have bought Willian. He would have taken a risk with Pepe, Martinelli and Reiss.

It's a risk-reward game, and our risks are all on older players right now with minimal rewards.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Fair. He scored vs Liverpool so you respect that he's done his job as a forward. I've never really been impressed by him in the first team though.

Can't think of a stand out game. I can for Saka, Martinelli, Guendouzi and AMN.

Do we risk developing Nelson in this team? Not sure that we can afford to. He has to force his way in. You're right though, he can't work his way in unless he gets game time.

Pyres7

It feels like Arteta has given up on him already. He didn't even give him a 15-20 minute cameo off the bench in the EL last week. That's bizarre when none of your first team forwards are performing and then you don't even give your young players a chance to prove they can do better.

It has to come both ways though, most of the time I see Nelson play he looks bland. He has to step it up, as others have said, this is a make or break season for him as an Arsenal player.

I hope Arteta at least gives him an opportunity to do that. No reason why he shouldn't be starting tonight.

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

Part of me thinks that Arteta still didn't secure his job yet and you can never blame a manager who will play his "strongest" team even if things don't work out. Let's say that he drops Xhaka (just an example) for Willock/AMN, and loses the game, he would be heavily criticized for sure, even if Xhaka wouldn't make any difference to that loss.
That's exactly what we're seeing now with Willock and Nelson, there's no way they get minutes simply because Arteta is not in a position to deal with potential criticism for playing youngsters, he is already in a lot of trouble even without that.
My only concern is, why weren't they loaned out? They are not even playing in the EL group stage. If Arteta wanted to keep them, they should play all the cup games to get ready for some minutes in the PL, but now even if they get some minutes, they will be completely out of match practice and they won't have any confidence to play the game, something which affects Nelson the most from all of them.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Sancho and Gnabry just shows what playing week in week out in your early twenties does for a player. Neither would be half the player they are today had they stayed at their prem clubs.

Reiss has a big decision to make after this season, as I feel Arsenal have taken him as far as they are willing to take him.
There is also the matter of finding the right club to loan our youngsters. Last time we loaned Reiss, he didn't have as much time as we expected. The only good loan on youngsters I remember recently is the Chambers loan where he started regularly.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He really was. They were neck and neck for most of their development than Sancho started to creep ahead towards the end of his time at city. It was still close at this point I believe.

Sancho went to Dortmund and the rest is history.
That's what I thought I recalled. Funny how some guys kick on while others maybe don't. Having said that, Dortmund must be one of the best clubs for developing talented youngsters in the world at the moment.

Ashybashy86

Part of me thinks that Arteta still didn't secure his job yet and you can never blame a manager who will play his "strongest" team even if things don't work out. Let's say that he drops Xhaka (just an example) for Willock/AMN, and loses the game, he would be heavily criticized for sure, even if Xhaka wouldn't make any difference to that loss.
That's exactly what we're seeing now with Willock and Nelson, there's no way they get minutes simply because Arteta is not in a position to deal with potential criticism for playing youngsters, he is already in a lot of trouble even without that.
They 'upgraded' his title to Manager. To me, that shows they have confidence in him. Anyway, I understand what you're saying, and as a rookie manager, he can't afford to 'risk' the youngsters at this stage in his career. Wenger did this, and often to his detriment:

However, I think Arteta has to show more faith in them, and rotate the squad more. Not many rate Nelson or Willock, but I think they're both talented and deserves more chances to develop.

Tsl

I hope he plays tonight. The fact that he chose to stay and fight for his place is positive, but that also means that he will need to grab the chances Arteta gives him. Otherwise, the season will be wasted for him. There’s such a player hidden somewhere inside of him. Come on Reiss!

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That's what I thought I recalled. Funny how some guys kick on while others maybe don't. Having said that, Dortmund must be one of the best clubs for developing talented youngsters in the world at the moment.
Sancho also had that audaciousness about himself, that and/or the trust of his manager that he could try things and lose the ball (within reason ofc) without getting dropped.

None of our attackers have that confidence rn imo, forget the trust of the manager, they're not even confident that they'll get the ball regulalry. Every dribble or shot could easily be their last in that game and it's definitely affecting their confidence imo.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Sancho also had that audaciousness about himself, that and/or the trust of his manager that he could try things and lose the ball (within reason ofc) without getting dropped.

None of our attackers have that confidence rn imo, forget the trust of the manager, they're not even confident that they'll get the ball regulalry. Every dribble or shot could easily be their last in that game and it's definitely affecting their confidence imo.

Think this is spot on, we needed structure so badly that Mik went to hard on it.

I can see and sort of agree why, but it's time loosen the knots a bit. Although this team is technically deficient, it's not like we don't have players that can pick a pass and actually try to split lines.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arteta needed to go over the top in terms of defensive structure imo, we have been a joke the last 5 or so years especially.

Most of our players need to be "babied" tbh, worryingly most of our senior players (Özil, Pepe, Laca) immediately drop unless you cater to them massively, we can't afford to do that right now...plus the likes of Saka and Martinelli before his injury, always look up for it, regardless of how we play.

Arteta is rigid in his approach atm...but you have to ask, "do some of these players deserve that freedom" ...I would say no, they aren't good enough.

Last edited:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Arteta needed to over the top in terms of defensive structure imo, we have been a joke the last 5 or so years especially.

Most of our players need to be "babied" tbh, worryingly most of our senior players (Özil, Pepe, Laca) immediately drop unless you cater to them massively, we can't afford to do that right now...plus the likes of Saka and Martinelli before his injury, always look up for it, regardless of how we play.

Arteta is rigid in his approach atm...but you have to ask, "do some of these players deserve that freedom" ...I would say no, they aren't good enough.

I think Wenger would have Pepe just tearing the league apart while we lose every big game 4-3 or something.

Nelson needs to see that Arteta just doesn't have the answer for the wings yet and go for it.

At worst he'll be loaned to a place where he can build momentum in a couple of months.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We cannot afford to give Nelson ESR 4-5 games to preform when we chasing top 4 finish unless there is injures rarely managers do that. Unfortunately that the reality with youngsters in top 6 clubs of you not Saka Martinelli the chances for these players will be limited.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We cannot afford to give Nelson ESR 4-5 games to preform when we chasing top 4 finish unless there is injures rarely managers do that. Unfortunately that the reality with youngsters in top 6 clubs of you not Saka Martinelli the chances for these players will be limited.

Yeah I feel like Arsenal fans get really attached to young players especially Hale End ones. But really guys like Nelson and ESR are the type of guys we should be looking to sell to raise funds like Liverpool do.

Also we produce so many similar type players in Hale End it seems. These not quite midfielders but also not quite wingers like AMN, Saka, Nelson, ESR and I'm sure there's more. You can really see Arsène's influence.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Yeah I feel like Arsenal fans get really attached to young players especially Hale End ones. But really guys like Nelson and ESR are the type of guys we should be looking to sell to raise funds like Liverpool do.

Also we produce so many similar type players in Hale End it seems. These not quite midfielders but also not quite wingers like AMN, Saka, Nelson, ESR and I'm sure there's more. You can really see Arsène's influence.
I think we have alot of young players deserve chance to play i mean if we were top 10 clubs have no expectations then i would start all of them.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I think we have alot of young players deserve chance to play i mean if we were top 10 clubs have no expectations then i would start all of them.

Does anyone really deserve a chance to play? It's a privilege rather than a right in my eyes.

But I dunno how we fit Nelson, ESR and Saka in the same team feel like there's only room for 1 and Saka is so far ahead of those guys I dunno if they'll make it here tbh. But if we sell them for 20-30 million then I don't see why not.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom