• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson (Out: Pure Profit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparrahork

Options are few and far between.

Asensio
Pedro Neto
Olise
Malcom
Marcus Edwards
Chukwueze
Kubo
Yeremy Pino
Pulisic
Nico Williams
Jeremy Doku
Indeed, and of that list who would be a marked upgrade on Reiss? I am still hopeful an acceptable contract can be offered, quite probably a lower one than many on the list shown.

Another potential could be kulusevski, he remains only on loan to Sp**s at present. I think if you go down the Edwards route then you have to consider an alternative vast upgrade who also has a Sp**s link. You wonder too if we may sniff around Hudson odoi and ziyech? As before I would much rather we keep Reiss and spend the money in midfield.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Options are few and far between.

Asensio
Pedro Neto
Olise
Malcom
Marcus Edwards
Chukwueze
Kubo
Yeremy Pino
Pulisic
Nico Williams
Jeremy Doku
None of them really speak to me, to be honest. Lindstrom could be an option to cover RW/Ødegaard instead of Vieira, but not sure I'd be too happy with that either.

Another potential could be kulusevski, he remains only on loan to Sp**s at present. I think if you go down the Edwards route then you have to consider an alternative vast upgrade who also has a Sp**s link. You wonder too if we may sniff around Hudson odoi and ziyech? As before I would much rather we keep Reiss and spend the money in midfield.
That might be an affordable option that I forgot, actually. Kind of erased him from my mind when he said he hoped for a permanent transfer to Sp**s, so I figured it was no longer on the cards. However, Sp**s has been so dreadful he might reconsider. He's not high profile enough to demand a starting spot, so would be a quality depth addition.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
None of them really speak to me, to be honest. Lindstrom could be an option to cover RW/Ødegaard instead of Vieira, but not sure I'd be too happy with that either.

That might be an affordable option that I forgot, actually. Kind of erased him from my mind when he said he hoped for a permanent transfer to Sp**s, so I figured it was no longer on the cards. However, Sp**s has been so dreadful he might reconsider. He's not high profile enough to demand a starting spot, so would be a quality depth addition.

Yeah forgot about Kulusevski aswell. Apparently Sp**s had an obligation to buy clause if Kulu played 50% of their games and Sp**s qualified for the CL. The latter condition looks highly improbable so he could be an option at a reasonable price. Would be all the sweeter nicking one of their best players again too.

Sparrahork

Yeah forgot about Kulusevski aswell. Apparently Sp**s had an obligation to buy clause if Kulu played 50% of their games and Sp**s qualified for the CL. The latter condition looks highly improbable so he could be an option at a reasonable price. Would be all the sweeter nicking one of their best players again too.
Good share on the obligation to buy front, I felt there was something in place.

Sp**s look more and more a club in decline, no doubt they will be keen on making his signature permanent regardless, however you do wonder if he will weigh up his options if we show interest. I don't think he will have that definite bond with Sp**s to rule out a switch to us.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

Sp**s look more and more a club in decline, no doubt they will be keen on making his signature permanent regardless, however you do wonder if he will weigh up his options if we show interest. I don't think he will have that definite bond with Sp**s to rule out a switch to us.

That's a pipe dream, he's said he plans on joining Sp**s and I wouldn't be surprised if he's already contracted to doing so. His form has also dropped off

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Who could we realistically get behind Saka that significantly improves us over Nelson, though? Don't say Raphinha or Diaby, we're not City who has a bench full of 50m+ players.

Do think it's the best move for Nelson. He will be completely stuck in development if he says another season. He's shown in the short amount of time he has gotten this season that if he has his mojo, he could be a really nice asset for a midtable PL team.

By the way, not saying there are no options, but I don't instantly know who.
In fairness, Reiss isn't as good on the RW as he is on the left so it's still a relatively awkward fit. He can do a job there.

I agree though that most of the options don't excite me much. I would have taken Sulemana but Southampton got him first and he hasn't set the world on fire there. I'm holding out faint hope that Cozier-Duberry impresses enough in pre season for Arteta to try him as the back-up but I'm beginning to get concerned that Arteta will ignore them.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In fairness, Reiss isn't as good on the RW as he is on the left so it's still a relatively awkward fit. He can do a job there.
Fair enough, but we have a flexible front line, so he could swap positions with Martinelli during the game or drift centrally as Jesus drifts out wide. I think he's comfortable enough there to rotate with the others, but I agree it's not his best position.
I agree though that most of the options don't excite me much. I would have taken Sulemana but Southampton got him first and he hasn't set the world on fire there. I'm holding out faint hope that Cozier-Duberry impresses enough in pre season for Arteta to try him as the back-up but I'm beginning to get concerned that Arteta will ignore them.
Promoting from within if there is a huge talent has my preference as well. That's how you generate value from your academy and the very best, like Saka, can become a fixture. With 5 good options up front (Saka, Martinelli, Jesus, Trossard, Nketiah), we could afford to risk the sixth spot on Cozier-Duberry if he does well in pre-season. Like you I'm doubtful that Arteta will include prospects, though.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill

Thing is would he be willing to come here and play second fiddle to Saka that’s the question?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He'd start in most bottom 10 teams he'd even walk into Chelsea starting line up.

Shame because likely he'd bring us 10M at least if he has year left in his contract. But free agents get paid better.

Sparrahork

Thing is would he be willing to come here and play second fiddle to Saka that’s the question?
Indeed, Reiss knows the club and where his stock is, other potentials will either work out we aren't for them as no way past Saks, or simply seeing it as a meal ticket and not really caring to compete.

Excellent point made by another about cozier-duberry - youth players need to see they have a route to the first team or they will want to leave.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He'd start in most bottom 10 teams he'd even walk into Chelsea starting line up.

Shame because likely he'd bring us 10M at least if he has year left in his contract. But free agents get paid better.
I don’t think Reiss starts in any pl team outside of maybe Bournemouth. Let’s not overrate him. This is a guy who was way behind sinisterra at Feyenoord last season.

TheGreatWright8

Player:Jesus
Good decision for him as there is too much competition he needs to progress not regress he won't evolve by sitting on the bench he just remain stagnant.

Jesus
Saka
Martinelli
Trossard
Viera
ESR
Eddie
Balogun

It's just too much we have an abundance of riches in attack.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I don’t think Reiss starts in any pl team outside of maybe Bournemouth. Let’s not overrate him. This is a guy who was way behind sinisterra at Feyenoord last season.
He can if he keep improving but if he keep his fitness issues he won't I'd advice him go to Bundesliga he'll build good reputation

Sparrahork

He seems to have clicked this season, difficult to tell however as still limited time on the pitch.

My take is that if we have offered a contract it will be very competitive if indeed he is not a starter at any other premiership club, if he isn't that good then other clubs will baulk at paying decent wages or make promises of first team football, in which case he may look to accept an offer to stay here if it remains on the table.

My own feeling is development takes place at different rates, he has suffered confidence and injury issues but now he shows signs of being the player he promised to be years ago.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Good decision for him as there is too much competition he needs to progress not regress he won't evolve by sitting on the bench he just remain stagnant.

Jesus
Saka
Martinelli
Trossard
Viera
ESR
Eddie
Balogun

It's just too much we have an abundance of riches in attack.
Some of you are in for a rude awakening next season.

We have been relatively fortunate with injuries for the majority of the season and we also haven’t gone too deep in the cups or needed to over extend ourselves in the EL. That won’t be the case next season.

We will likely be in pot 3 for the CL draw, so will be drawn against the big boys and playing high intensity top level football right from September.

Only 1 player there is a starter for his country and has CL experience so we need depth as well as tactical flexibility.

We cannot make the same mistake Leicester did when they got into the CL after a campaign using nearly all the same players every week.

SupersoakerArsene

Just a short impact sub, Nelson. Got great technical ability, but I just don't think he can do the same if he starts at our club. When the others are tired, you can bring him in, like we are doing right now...

If he leaves, just get an Nico Williams from Bilbao or give it a shot for Sergy Gnabry to get a major comeback at our club. Gnabry can even play as a CAM, striker or at the left wing. Winner!

SuperMikel

A calm and collected individual.
His underused. He should be playing more games. More of a traditional wide player who will attack the byline rather than cut in like Saka and Martinelli. He has great energy too.

The club should offer him a second offer on improved terms. The fact Brighton are in for him just shows his quality. He is too good for a team down the table. If we lose him for free it would be a major dissapointment.

DuBB

I like Reiss, and I like what I've been seeing from Reiss as of late, but I'm torn.

On one hand, I can see that there is just about enough there for us to want to offer him a new deal and then not spend money on a new winger this summer.

But on the other hand, I can very much picture a scenario where this time next year we've come up short and we realise that he isn't quite at the level we needed him to be.

Think about it like this:

If Reiss Nelson wasn't our player, would he be the level of player we'd buy to occupy the current gap in our winger rotation chart?

If you listed all the realistic or potential wingers like Diaby, Raphina, Lindstrom, Pino, Mudryk etc. etc. that we have been and are linked with, and then added Reiss to the list, where would he be in that pecking order?

The answers probably show that maybe we shouldn't take the easy option of re-signing him and actually invest in the player we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom