• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson (Out: Pure Profit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparrahork

I like Reiss, and I like what I've been seeing from Reiss as of late, but I'm torn.

On one hand, I can see that there is just about enough there for us to want to offer him a new deal and then not spend money on a new winger this summer.

But on the other hand, I can very much picture a scenario where this time next year we've come up short and we realise that he isn't quite at the level we needed him to be.

Think about it like this:

If Reiss Nelson wasn't our player, would he be the level of player we'd buy to occupy the current gap in our winger rotation chart?

If you listed all the realistic or potential wingers like Diaby, Raphina, Lindstrom, Pino, Mudryk etc. etc. that we have been and are linked with, and then added Reiss to the list, where would he be in that pecking order?

The answers probably show that maybe we shouldn't take the easy option of re-signing him and actually invest in the player we want.
That would be an awesome question in a year with the power of hindsight! Thing is he is our player and thus more of a known commodity. The anticipated skill gap between him and some of those other names won't be that much, certainly not an estimated £50m fee and £50k extra a week.

I think it all depends on how much edu and tets want him, and how much they want to a replacement / or to spend those funds elsewhere on the squad.

I still feel a mixture of Reiss, jesus, esr and acd is our best option to back up Saka. Ensure we can buy our first place options in midfield.

DuBB

That would be an awesome question in a year with the power of hindsight! Thing is he is our player and thus more of a known commodity. The anticipated skill gap between him and some of those other names won't be that much, certainly not an estimated £50m fee and £50k extra a week.

I think it all depends on how much edu and tets want him, and how much they want to a replacement / or to spend those funds elsewhere on the squad.

I still feel a mixture of Reiss, jesus, esr and acd is our best option to back up Saka. Ensure we can buy our first place options in midfield.

True, but what I am factoring in is the consideration that he is a known commodity to the current coaching and backroom staff as you say, but they aren't utilising him in a way that points to viewing him as a core member of the squad, or a player who is of the level where his inclusion keeps the team at our required level.

Take Tomiyasu as an example.

When he's fit, he comes in and out of the lineup on the right and on the left with no hesitation. A starting lineup for an important game like Tottenham or Liverpool can come out, we see Tomiyasu on it, and as fans we don't think twice, because the club doesn't think twice. Tomiyasu is a core member of the squad and what that says to me is that he is considered to be at a level where his inclusion does not mean we incur a drop in standards.

In this world where we keep Reiss, it feels good, and it sounds good - we've saved on buying a replacement, he'll be on cheaper wages than any player we'd buy, he's one of our own etc. - but I know, and you know, that the moment Saka pulls up in a game, is announced to be out for two months, and we're looking at a run of Prem, FA Cup and CL fixtures with Reiss as our starting RW, the reality of his level will hit.

The "break glass in case of emergency" axe always look good and shiny, until the emergency hits and you've broken the glass and are holding the axe swinging for your life.

Rob Holding as a 4th choice behind Saliba, Gabriel and Tomiyasu looked great, until the moment we actually had to use him.

And then reality hit.

This is the 2nd season in a row when the reality of our squad depth has come back to bite us. Resigning Reiss could be repeating a mistake we're becoming too comfortable in repeating.

Sparrahork

Very valid points, I am maybe too much of a Reiss fanboy to see reason! Lol

I like to think in actuality jesus will move to the right, or possibly trossard but options for Reiss or acd to take that position if their progress continues.

Reiss has seen his progress stunted by injury and confidence, I see him however very differently to holding, rob gives his all but is limited, Reiss has it all in his locker.

My main worry about the above is tets doesn't seem to want to consider jesus on the right, the sensible option earlier this season was Eddie up top and jesus on the right wing, he went the other way.

The hope is if that situation arises again he feels vindicated in moving jesus from centre for the good of the team.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Very valid points, I am maybe too much of a Reiss fanboy to see reason! Lol

I like to think in actuality jesus will move to the right, or possibly trossard but options for Reiss or acd to take that position if their progress continues.

Reiss has seen his progress stunted by injury and confidence, I see him however very differently to holding, rob gives his all but is limited, Reiss has it all in his locker.

My main worry about the above is tets doesn't seem to want to consider jesus on the right, the sensible option earlier this season was Eddie up top and jesus on the right wing, he went the other way.

The hope is if that situation arises again he feels vindicated in moving jesus from centre for the good of the team.
Had he not scored the goal against Bournemouth and his Forest performance, nobody would care about this. They'd all say the same. Looks like a lad that needs a fresh start and somewhere where he could be a focal point and a main player.

That's still the case. Nelson really needs to go to a Bournemouth/Fulham side where he is guaranteed minutes and that play a half decent brand of football.

Would be brilliant to see him forge a PL career long term, I just don't see that being with us. He bleeds Arsenal so I will always wish him well.

Sparrahork

Had he not scored the goal against Bournemouth and his Forest performance, nobody would care about this. They'd all say the same. Looks like a lad that needs a fresh start and somewhere where he could be a focal point and a main player.

That's still the case. Nelson really needs to go to a Bournemouth/Fulham side where he is guaranteed minutes and that play a half decent brand of football.

Would be brilliant to see him forge a PL career long term, I just don't see that being with us. He bleeds Arsenal so I will always wish him well.
I think the Brighton link is a fair shout and one that worries me as would be appealing to him. Yes, he would have to contend with march and mitoma, but given euro football looks likely they need to bulk out their squad, particularly given they did not fully replace trossard. He will get plenty of minutes if he goes there.

If he goes so be it, major decision coming up for him regardless.

SuperMikel

A calm and collected individual.
True, but what I am factoring in is the consideration that he is a known commodity to the current coaching and backroom staff as you say, but they aren't utilising him in a way that points to viewing him as a core member of the squad, or a player who is of the level where his inclusion keeps the team at our required level.

Take Tomiyasu as an example.

When he's fit, he comes in and out of the lineup on the right and on the left with no hesitation. A starting lineup for an important game like Tottenham or Liverpool can come out, we see Tomiyasu on it, and as fans we don't think twice, because the club doesn't think twice. Tomiyasu is a core member of the squad and what that says to me is that he is considered to be at a level where his inclusion does not mean we incur a drop in standards.

In this world where we keep Reiss, it feels good, and it sounds good - we've saved on buying a replacement, he'll be on cheaper wages than any player we'd buy, he's one of our own etc. - but I know, and you know, that the moment Saka pulls up in a game, is announced to be out for two months, and we're looking at a run of Prem, FA Cup and CL fixtures with Reiss as our starting RW, the reality of his level will hit.

The "break glass in case of emergency" axe always look good and shiny, until the emergency hits and you've broken the glass and are holding the axe swinging for your life.

Rob Holding as a 4th choice behind Saliba, Gabriel and Tomiyasu looked great, until the moment we actually had to use him.

And then reality hit.

This is the 2nd season in a row when the reality of our squad depth has come back to bite us. Resigning Reiss could be repeating a mistake we're becoming too comfortable in repeating.

The point is if we allow him to leave, we will need to expend time and resources replacing him. I would rather we sign Nelson, go into next season with Saka, Martinelli Trossard and Nelson as the wide options, whilst having reinforced the midfield and backline. Nelson is also a much better player than Holding is. Brighton, AC Milan are among the two clubs wanting to sign Nelson. Nelson and Holding are not comparable. Nelson is a really effective player who so far this season hasnt looked out of place when he comes on. We will not break down with Nelson on the RW in the manner we did with Holding at centre half. Nelson is also high energy off the ball and matches Arteta's expectations in terms of work ethic. I would prefer this to someone like Zaha who has more quality but is a shocker in terms of attitude.

The way we pass out from the back and the way we handle the opposition transition is the most important element in our game. Which is why we could still function at a high level with no Jesus for three months.

Im not sure who a potential RW target could be. However the idea of dicking around trying to sign Raphina for 60-70m is not something I would want to see. We should be going after Rice, another midfielder and two new defenders providing KT does leave

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The idea to extend a player who is clearly not good enough and offer zero competition to the starter because 3 months summer window is too short to find a replacement while buying other players is so small time

SuperMikel

A calm and collected individual.
The idea to extend a player who is clearly not good enough and offer zero competition to the starter because 3 months summer window is too short to find a replacement while buying other players is so small time

No its not. Its being realistic. Only so many deals can be done in one window, only so much money can be spent. Budgeting and forecasting for expenditure of 50m is consuming. Sign Nelson up and focus on midfield and centre half.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
No its not. Its being realistic. Only so many deals can be done in one window, only so much money can be spent. Budgeting and forecasting for expenditure of 50m is consuming. Sign Nelson up and focus on midfield and centre half.

Nelson should not stay because Arteta doesn't give him enough minutes to develop. For his own good he needs to move

Arsenal can afford to buy midfielders, CB and a right winger that Mikel trusts more. Don't forget we have CL money, the Mudryk money we didn't spend and outgoings like Balogun, Xhaka and Tierney to fund transfers.

I also think the winger we get should be able to play as a CF if required

GDeep™

League is very weak
Negative spin. The club will look at it as extending a player who can still develop and provide decent backup.

I’ll argue him and Sancho are on similar levels.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Negative spin. The club will look at it as extending a player who can still develop and provide decent backup.

I’ll argue him and Sancho are on similar levels.
Sancho the massive flip United are stuck with? Hardly great endorsement

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Obviously he's at a stage where he needs to play week in week out. It will hamper his development being benched like now. Can he get that regular football at Arsenal? I'm not so sure.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Obviously he's at a stage where he needs to play week in week out. It will hamper his development being benched like now. Can he get that regular football at Arsenal? I'm not so sure.
Exactly if he really is serious about his future he will move. Signing new deal will tell me he wants to stay in his comfort zone and not be the best he can be

Sparrahork

Exactly if he really is serious about his future he will move. Signing new deal will tell me he wants to stay in his comfort zone and not be the best he can be
I have come around to another way of thinking...if he aspires to play for a big club he can then he signs a new contract with us.

He would be in the exact same position as raphinha or diaby if they were to join, i.e. very much second choice to Saka but still at a premiership club in the ecl.

Would they be lacking in ambition if they were to sign for us? Of course not, to me if Nelson signs he is signalling he has faith in his ability. I still feel he would be on par with any other winger we are likely to sign if he is to leave.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I have come around to another way of thinking...if he aspires to play for a big club he can then he signs a new contract with us.

He would be in the exact same position as raphinha or diaby if they were to join, i.e. very much second choice to Saka but still at a premiership club in the ecl.

Would they be lacking in ambition if they were to sign for us? Of course not, to me if Nelson signs he is signalling he has faith in his ability. I still feel he would be on par with any other winger we are likely to sign if he is to leave.
There is no way we would have signed Raphina and used him like Nelson ie being on the bench for weeks and not getting minutes. I think at one point he went like 8-9 games on the bench without getting a minute. 60 million players would not get treated like that

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Good luck to him he deserves game time and regular minutes we into bigger things now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom