• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Truthfully I think the loan system is broken. What incentive do clubs have to play loan players ahead of their own when push comes to shove? They won't get a transfer fee for them and all of their development will benefit another club.

Have to agree here. Somewhat funded on the gloablization of football, the growing of scouting networks and more and more clubs everywhere trying to produce their own players to forego paying inflated fees and instead eventually cash in on them has led to this development. Clubs would rather play their own players than invest time to develop someone else's. Only in very special cases loans are still en vogue - e.g. when a club is seriously in financial trouble or needs a cheap quick fix 'cause of injuries etc.

Think we will definitely see more permanent deals for youngsters in the near future.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Honestly, I think its time the big clubs started paying other clubs to loan their players. Not a transfer fee because a club could just pocket the money and still not play the kid. Incentivize it, 100k for every game he starts and completes 75 minutes in, that goes down to 50k if he comes off before then. Thirty games a season will amount to about 3 million pounds. A god send for a lower league club.
That's interesting, let's say if you send your top 10 prospects I'm sure one of them would be valued around 30m or some of them would be worth 30m combined and it would still be worth it especially for quality academies like ours.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It does worry me a bit on a human level, even the super talented Arsenal prospects of the past like Ramsey, Theo and Fabregas weren’t subject to as much scrutiny as this.

Even a few years ago, guys like Kane were afforded time to develop at their own rate before hitting the lime light.

Wenger said we’re obsessed with instant gratification and he’s right, if a kid isn’t immediately smashing it he’s a failure or a flop.

I’ve seen numerous people on here talking sh*t about Ryan Sessegnon when the kid is 18 years old ffs.

Look at Smith-Rowe, Leipzig’s Twitter is always joking about how many hundreds of tweets from Arsenal fans they get about him but is it funny really? He’s only just above school leaver age but he’s already got massive pressure on him.

Know it’s a bit of a tangent, but I find it a bit unsettling.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It does worry me a bit on a human level, even the super talented Arsenal prospects of the past like Ramsey, Theo and Fabregas weren’t subject to as much scrutiny as this.

Even a few years ago, guys like Kane were afforded time to develop at their own rate before hitting the lime light.

Wenger said we’re obsessed with instant gratification and he’s right, if a kid isn’t immediately smashing it he’s a failure or a flop.

I’ve seen numerous people on here talking sh*t about Ryan Sessegnon when the kid is 18 years old ffs.

Look at Smith-Rowe, Leipzig’s Twitter is always joking about how many hundreds of tweets from Arsenal fans they get about him but is it funny really? He’s only just above school leaver age but he’s got ridiculous amounts of pressure put on him.

I think it's helpful to temper ones expectations to a degree - using Nelson as an example, it would have been unfeasible to see him start every game even when he was at his hottest - with a number of their main attackers coming back. Joelinton has in particular been in fine form most of the season, selfishness aside. Despite this, some of my mutuals on Twitter post every single Hoffenheim game whenever Nelson's on the bench to bring him on, and even I find it to be a bit cringe.

I don't expect fireworks straight away, but I am a bit more patient because I expect youngsters to not play well all the time. I usually only wish to see them start ahead of players if the players ahead of them are either sh*t or playing terribly - otherwise, I'm happy to see them play when appropriate. And I think that most on AM are actually a lot more tempered and realistic, even pessimistic to a degree - even hydro is quite tempered compared to some fans on twitter - the players already have ultras with dedicated handles. I think that's the point where I'm like "ok, this is much".

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think it's helpful to temper ones expectations to a degree - using Nelson as an example, it would have been unfeasible to see him start every game even when he was at his hottest - with a number of their main attackers coming back. Joelinton has in particular been in fine form most of the season, selfishness aside. Despite this, some of my mutuals on Twitter post every single Hoffenheim game whenever Nelson's on the bench to bring him on, and even I find it to be a bit cringe.

I don't expect fireworks straight away, but I am a bit more patient because I expect youngsters to not play well all the time. I usually only wish to see them start ahead of players if the players ahead of them are either sh*t or playing terribly - otherwise, I'm happy to see them play when appropriate. And I think that most on AM are actually a lot more tempered and realistic, even pessimistic to a degree - even hydro is quite tempered compared to some fans on twitter - the players already have ultras with dedicated handles. I think that's the point where I'm like "ok, this is much".

Yeah wanna be clear I’m not having a dig at anyone on here with our players.

Its mostly just the absolute AIDS you see on Twitter and instagram. The exposure these kids are getting at such a young age isn’t healthy.

When it gets to the stage where AMN is replying to people criticising him on Instagram you know football’s gone f*cked.

Gunner-Union

Hoping he comes back and really stakes a place for first team football next season. Would also like to see salad and ameachi giving chances.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Whatever he’s going through right now, is still a learning experience.

New country, new league, good moments, bad moments, getting dropped by the manager etc.

All this is better than say just playing reserve games and not getting a first team kick like Eddie.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Look at Smith-Rowe, Leipzig’s Twitter is always joking about how many hundreds of tweets from Arsenal fans they get about him but is it funny really? He’s only just above school leaver age but he’s already got massive pressure on him.

We’ve seen it with AMN. Came through the ranks , injuries, playing out of position, shown promise, but some have already got the knives out for him.

Toby

Some posters on the tranfermarkt Hoffenheim sub think they might have tried to extend the loan deal, but Arsenal declined, so he's not playing anymore because in 10 games he's gone anyway.

Apparently he also had slight injuries for a good while which is another reason he hasn't played more.

In his most recent cameos he didn't really give the manager a reason to give him more chances.

There's nothing juicy on the "educational measure" for disciplinary problems.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Some posters on the tranfermarkt Hoffenheim sub think they might have tried to extend the loan deal, but Arsenal declined, so he's not playing anymore because in 10 games he's gone anyway.

Apparently he also had slight injuries for a good while which is another reason he hasn't played more.

In his most recent cameos he didn't really give the manager a reason to give him more chances.

There's nothing juicy on the "educational measure" for disciplinary problems.
Sneaky hoffenheim, exactly what I thought, no pay off for them so they are almost freezing him out,

Such a strange move for them to give him their #9 shirt, more of an enticement move if you ask me.

Glad he's not playing as much he'll be back fresh and with this experience to help bolster his chances of breaking into our first team.

Also noticed him playing less started around when he was talking about how much he couldn't wait to get back to Arsenal, this loan is done and dusted.

Toby

Sneaky hoffenheim, exactly what I thought, no pay off for them so they are almost freezing him out,

Such a strange move for them to give him their #9 shirt, more of an enticement move if you ask me.

Glad he's not playing as much he'll be back fresh and with this experience to help bolster his chances of breaking into our first team.

Also noticed him playing less started around when he was talking about how much he couldn't wait to get back to Arsenal, this loan is done and dusted.

Take what I wrote with a grain of salt, though. It's a forum just as this one and nobody had any true fruther insight. It's just the opinion of some posters.

And like I wrote, too, others added that he didn't exactly set the world on fire in his most recent cameos, including missing either an absolute sitter or the pass to a teammate who'd have had an open goal (can't remember which one it was and too lazy to go back and look right now).

They also mentioned him having some injury and fitness troubles, so it's pretty clear why he didn't play so often.

On the disciplinary action comment of Nagelsmann there was nothing at all.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
And like I wrote, too, others added that he didn't exactly set the world on fire.
Needs to be given a chance to do this, which I don't think he has been given because of his loan circumstance, nagelsman is on his way out and also we didn't want to extend the loan, I just think people are reading into this to much, I believe he's more than ready and will challenge for a wide spot when he comes back.

DermzAFC

If Nelson isn't in 1st team plans for next season, I'd like to see him get a loan with Southampton. They have been playing really good football since Hasenhuttl took charge. He's a fantastic coach that is not afraid to give young players an opportunity, and seems to have done a good job revitilsing Redmond, Ward Prowse, Bednarek and Hojberg

Toby

Needs to be given a chance to do this, which I don't think he has been given because of his loan circumstance, nagelsman is on his way out and also we didn't want to extend the loan, I just think people are reading into this to much, I believe he's more than ready and will challenge for a wide spot when he comes back.

If someone is reading too much into this, it's you.

There's nothing official, not even reports in the press, about Hoffenheim trying to extend the loan. That's pure speculation by one or two forum users - I don't think that qualifies it as worthy of being taken into consideration.

After his initial good run, he dropped off in performance and couldn't get a starting spot. He then had some minor injuries preventing him from getting more game time. When he got chances again he did everything but impress and according to Hoffenheim's manager needed a disciplinary lesson.

Tbh, it all points to Nelson choking and not making the best out of this loan opportunity himself, instead of some weird conspiracy about Nagelsmann not liking him or some speculative loan extension crap.

Surely no reason to write off a talented 19 year old, but it doesn't exactly shine a light on him either.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Has his general play really been deserving of a starting spot there? I watched quite a bit of his run of scoring early season but he was not playing to a good level... When the production dried up in November no surprise so did his minutes.

To be here next season the kid needs one hell of a pre season & for us not to address the wide positions externally.

Last edited:

Toby

Has his general play really been deserving of a starting stop there? I watched quite a bit of his run of scoring early season but he was not playing to a good level... When the production dried up in November no surprise so did his minutes.

No it didn't and that's exactly why he didn't start for them. He had this great run of scoring 6 and during which most of his dribbles and stuff came good, but his overall play was lacking even during that and he couldn't round if off over the season. So when he didn't score anymore he didn't play anymore 'cause he didn't bring much else to the table.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Has his general play really been deserving of a starting spot there? I watched quite a bit of his run of scoring early season but he was not playing to a good level... When the production dried up in November no surprise so did his minutes.

To be here next season the kid needs one hell of a pre season & for us not to address the wide positions externally.
In detail, what were his performances like, if you don't mind?

What were the issues? Poor passing, dribbling too much and losing the ball, poor first touch..?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
In detail, what were his performances like, if you don't mind?

What were the issues? Poor passing, dribbling too much and losing the ball, poor first touch..?
I stopped watching in October but back then he just seemed to be on the edge of the game. He was not really getting on the ball or getting involved in build up play but being the spare man in space at the end of move... A great attribute to have at that age but number of goals early might have not given full view of his start there.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
If a loan player is not playing he is at the wrong club. He might as well be here playing in the under 23 team than not playing at Hoffenheim.

If the reason is his performance has fallen off then the loan deal should provide for him to be returned and then maybe moved to a more appropriate club/level.

HBL

Established Member
I'll be glad when this loan is over, that way I won't have to watch Hoffenheim anymore. There is an incredible lack of cohesion in that squad at the moment, if we're looking to send players to the Bundesliga next season I think Leverkusen/Leipzig will be the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom