• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Not a hot take for me. Or at least not if you include potential alongside current level. I think Martinelli goes up a gear over the next season or so, as long as he stays fit. I don't see that with Richarlison.

1. Jesus
2. Raphinha
3. Richarlison*

(Although the option of using him as a central striker is useful)
Right now Richard son is better player, hence why he is picked for Brazil despite playing for Everton. As far as Arsenal fans saying young player will get better and better. We heard that with every young player last 20 years

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Richy to me just feels to have way a way higher ceiling even if Jesus is safer coming from a system we copy & working under Arteta previously.

He is putting up these numbers in a team that averaged under 40% possession last season ffs! We were round 53% & City up at 70%.
Richarlison literally has not improved in years and is more concerned with winding up infinitely more successful teams after narrowly avoiding relegation than growing as a footballer. Yuck.

carter777

Thinks Poch Is The GOAT

Player:Saka
Not sure what Everton do if they lose Richarlison & DCL in the same window. Hardly a great track record of re-investing money.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
It’s frustrating because if Raphinha was a right footed left winger I would be desperate right now for him. I have loved him since he joined the PL but position wise he is so similar to Saka. And why move Saka out of a role he was making his own?

Richarlison gives the actual balance of the team more.

Firstly, he is more of a natural goalscorer, something we need in the team. Also, he plays LW which is more of a gap, and he can act as a backup striker for Jesus also and perhaps even interchange during a game.

It’s a tough one for that reason, Raphinha is a better footballer with maybe the higher ceiling while Richarlison could potentially add more to the first Xi.

I believe people are kinda underrating Richarlison though, he has been inconsistent mostly but the way he turned it on last season was great. He carried Everton to PL safety. I guess as a manager you need to ask yourself if he shows more of that at a bigger club with bigger aspirations. He certainly seems like he could become a clutch player.
I think Raphinha is the better player but I can see the argument for Richarlison upgrading more our optimal XI by upgrading on Gabi at LW and leaving Saka at LW, instead of moving Saka to LW and Raphinha at RW (don't really see Raphinha at LW too much).

Not sure which gives us more ultimate gains. I suppose probably Saka, Raphinha, and Jesus in a fluid front 3, but Richarlison might be worth going for should we lose out on Raphinha.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
He is putting up these numbers in a team that averaged under 40% possession last season ffs! We were round 53% & City up at 70%.

I'd argue he's part of the reason they're possession numbers were so low. He's got the 14th lowest pass completion percentage in the league, below players like Ashley Barnes and Benteke, combined with the 13th highest shots per game. He also gets dispossessed when dribbling more often than he beats a man.

He's genuinely a turnover machine. Looks great when it works, but he was/is extremely detrimental to Everton's overall game. Whether you value the goals he scored as a result of forcing the issue so much above that is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I know some people hate stats, but look at this:

oIOq9OK.png

These are Per 90 metrics. Notice how well Martinelli compares to the rest, and how underwhelming Richarlison is.

63% pass completion on 19 attempts per game is horrendous. His only redeeming quality statistically is a slightly higher conversion rate and his aerial game, but he's not even good in the air, he just (to his credit I guess) battles for it a lot.

6666Louis

1 Jesus
2 Raphinha
3 Richarlison

1 and 2 have better technique. 1 better movement off the ball 2 better movement with the ball 3 looks like a real ************

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Right now Richard son is better player, hence why he is picked for Brazil despite playing for Everton. As far as Arsenal fans saying young player will get better and better. We heard that with every young player last 20 years
Your crusade against young players is a bit of an odd hill to die on though. Sure, not EVERY young & talented player will go on to be world class, but where you see players with certain frightening attributes who show progression year on year then there is a good chance that they will continue to improve.

With Martinelli, the reason people are excited about his potential is obvious, surely. He's got absolutely electric pace and acceleration, combined with skill and trickery, he's a natural finisher and also has a tenacious work ethic out of possession. He's also capped by Brazil at 20, just had his break out season and so far in his career in England has posted 14 goals and 9 assists in 4000 minutes (at 20 years old). That's damn impressive, talent wise and a contribution every 174 minutes even as it stands today.

As @Dokaka said, Richarlison is totally different, he's mid career so we can see what his final level is now. He has different strengths and attributes and I definitely get why some people rate him. He can be a battering ram and is versatile but he also blows hot and cold with the 2021/21 season being a good example of this. He has a career total in England (& Brazil NT) of 49 goals & 16 assists in 14500 minutes, a contribution every 223 minutes.

So whilst it's very debatable, it's not outlandish to say that Martinelli is already the better player, let alone his future potential.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I'd argue he's part of the reason they're possession numbers were so low. He's got the 14th lowest pass completion percentage in the league, below players like Ashley Barnes and Benteke, combined with the 13th highest shots per game. He also gets dispossessed when dribbling more often than he beats a man.

He's genuinely a turnover machine. Looks great when it works, but he was/is extremely detrimental to Everton's overall game. Whether you value the goals he scored as a result of forcing the issue so much above that is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

oIOq9OK.png

These are Per 90 metrics. Notice how well Martinelli compares to the rest, and how underwhelming Richarlison is.

63% pass completion on 19 attempts per game is horrendous. His only redeeming quality statistically is a slightly higher conversion rate and his aerial game, but he's not even good in the air, he just (to his credit I guess) battles for it a lot.
You can't compare that the same way without context. Everton plays counterattack without possession with less passes but more direct. Even distance between players is longer that what a possession team plays. All those stats are BS without proper interpretation. And tbf everyone interpretate stats to his own agenda. It's like politics, same numbers and stats could say different things depending on the narrative and retoric.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Your crusade against young players is a bit of an odd hill to die on though. Sure, not EVERY young & talented player will go on to be world class, but where you see players with certain frightening attributes who show progression year on year then there is a good chance that they will continue to improve.

With Martinelli, the reason people are excited about his potential is obvious, surely. He's got absolutely electric pace and acceleration, combined with skill and trickery, he's a natural finisher and also has a tenacious work ethic out of possession. He's also capped by Brazil at 20, just had his break out season and so far in his career in England has posted 14 goals and 9 assists in 4000 minutes (at 20 years old). That's damn impressive, talent wise and a contribution every 174 minutes even as it stands today.

As @Dokaka said, Richarlison is totally different, he's mid career so we can see what his final level is now. He has different strengths and attributes and I definitely get why some people rate him. He can be a battering ram and is versatile but he also blows hot and cold with the 2021/21 season being a good example of this. He has a career total in England (& Brazil NT) of 49 goals & 16 assists in 14500 minutes, a contribution every 223 minutes.

So whilst it's very debatable, it's not outlandish to say that Martinelli is already the better player, let alone his future potential.
We finished 5th and scored way less than the teams above us. I don’t believe in saving space for young players if you have a chance to sign a better player. The young player if he is the real deal will rise to the challenge. As I said I can list 20 players last 15 years at Arsenal who were not better player at 25 than they were at 20 and we all said look how good they are at 20 imagine in few years.

Even at United Rashford and martial were better players at 20 than now. Rashford is 25 in October. And United fans were like us omg in few years.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka

Yeah it's quite outlandish, Richarlison didn't have a great season yet could carry the most disfunctional team to safety. That's what elite players are capable of doing.

Meanwhile we're literally trying to upgrade on Martinelli's position. He has interesting qualities, but even the youtube highlights will show you more defensive work that actual attacking threat. Maybe that's why the passing and take on rates look better than the other attackers, it's easier to do that when you have the ball near your box.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah it's quite outlandish, Richarlison didn't have a great season yet could carry the most disfunctional team to safety. That's what elite players are capable of doing.

Meanwhile we're literally trying to upgrade on Martinelli's position. He has interesting qualities, but even the youtube highlights will show you more defensive work that actual attacking threat. Maybe that's why the passing and take on rates look better than the other attackers, it's easier to do that when you have the ball near your box.

He didn't do any carrying the season before last though did he? Got less goals + assists in more minutes than a 20 year old Martinelli. So not outlandish at all actually. And the "it's only Everton" argument I'm not buying either. They've spent 7th in the league, may have bought badly but they are spending more on players than most teams in France, Italy or Germany.

Look, I'm not against Richarlison. Imo he's slightly better than Martinelli right now as well and would be a good squad option. It's hyperbole to say he's a massive upgrade though, Martinelli has more potential for sure.

blrgooner

Established Member
He didn't do any carrying the season before last though did he? Got less goals + assists in more minutes than a 20 year old Martinelli. So not outlandish at all actually. And the "it's only Everton" argument I'm not buying either. They've spent 7th in the league, may have bought badly but they are spending more on players than most teams in France, Italy or Germany.

Look, I'm not against Richarlison. Imo he's slightly better than Martinelli right now as well and would be a good squad option. It's hyperbole to say he's a massive upgrade though, Martinelli has more potential for sure.
Agree with this. I don`t think Richarlison carried the team at all. He scored less goals than Pukki and same number of goals as Dennis who played in worse teams too. He in fact scored less than Raphinha who was arguably in a worse team throughout the season too.
I find Richarlison very over rated in fact. I think he is a highlights player who plays well in a few games and would have a good highlights reel but is so poor in some of the other games that he becomes a liability in those games. He is very similar to Pepe in that respect. While I am not against highlights players in general, I think they need to come up with better numbers than Richarlison generally comes up with.
I do see why people like him though since he has a great set of abilities. He also seems to perform quite well in national set up which indicates that if we provide a system to get the best out of him, he might be great. I just don`t see it with his performances in Premier League so far though.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Agree with this. I don`t think Richarlison carried the team at all. He scored less goals than Pukki and same number of goals as Dennis who played in worse teams too. He in fact scored less than Raphinha who was arguably in a worse team throughout the season too.
I find Richarlison very over rated in fact. I think he is a highlights player who plays well in a few games and would have a good highlights reel but is so poor in some of the other games that he becomes a liability in those games. He is very similar to Pepe in that respect. While I am not against highlights players in general, I think they need to come up with better numbers than Richarlison generally comes up with.
I do see why people like him though since he has a great set of abilities. He also seems to perform quite well in national set up which indicates that if we provide a system to get the best out of him, he might be great. I just don`t see it with his performances in Premier League so far though.
Did you actually follow the latter stages of Everton’s season though? Because Richarlison scored a lot of his goals in that period and a lot of important ones.

That’s what people are referring to when they say clutch or that he carried Everton, not over the whole course of the season.

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
Richarlison is sh*t. You know football is in the mud when this guy is a starter for Brazil.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

oIOq9OK.png

Would be happy with either him or Jesus up top, desperate for a striker... Martinelli might compare well stat wise but just seems not to be an option for the club at the moment for next season or when we were on our knees for a striker last season.

The stats are similar to what I got pushing for Zaha in previous windows. :lol: They have to do so much to get a shot on goal or opening it always reflects badly on paper.

In a well drilled attack Jesus looks to work well but not convinced we can get him those goals he got at City.

blrgooner

Established Member
Did you actually follow the latter stages of Everton’s season though? Because Richarlison scored a lot of his goals in that period and a lot of important ones.

That’s what people are referring to when they say clutch or that he carried Everton, not over the whole course of the season.
Well looking back at the results, he did score 3 goals in the last 5 games(one of which was a penalty), DCL scored 2 goals too. Does that qualify as carrying a team to safety? I am not sure. I didn`t really follow them and am saying this purely based on stats though. So maybe I am wrong.
Either ways, I think he is a player who blows hot and cold. So even if he did carry the team towards the end of the season, he was also frustrating for large parts previously.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I wouldn't be fussed with Richarlison, he may not have the best attitude but he'll be another youngish player with good PL experience who can fill in on the left & up front if we need one. A good dribbler with decent finishing too, he's heading looks decent aswell I've never seen him head though. Everyone laugh at me if you wish because FIFA probably means nothing but he's always killed it for me up front on FIFA haha.

If all these signings happen I won't believe it with our depth up front for once with good speed & dribbling, 3/4 of them Brazilian too which makes it interesting, Martinelli, marquinos, GJ, Raphina, Gabriel in defence then Richarlison too. Makes me think Arteta/Edu finally have a proper plan this window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom