• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Mahrez for 35m is a steal...i dont expect we can sign a top striker...so plan b should be signing a top right winger

Mahrez is not a top winger. One great season doesn't make a player top quality. He's 26 and has 3 seasons in the league. One average, one great, one ****.

He contributes very little when he's not scoring, and he hasn't shown the ability to do that consistently.

You wouldn't have paid £35m for Nasri in 2014 and Mahrez is just a worse version of him.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wonder how many people that ridicule Ramsey would happily take Mahrez. They've the same age but as Dokaka mentioned only had one great season.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'm skeptical of Mahrez. I wouldn't want to pay anything near the prices that are being thrown around for a guy who turned out to be a one-season wonder. But if he wears an Arsenal kit, he'll have my full support and I'll hope he can regain the form that got him the Player of the Season award.

skip spence

If Özil stays can't see us signing Mahrez. Those two on the pitch at the same time would be a sight to behold on the ball but also ask far to much of their teammates off it.

Eduardo_da_Silva

I pretty much hate the one season wonder **** everybody uses these days. If You are quality and showed it for entire season, then You are quality. You dont suddenly forget to dribble or score just because a season is over.

Ramsey had that sick season, and we all knew that he had it in him as he showed it for Wales and us from time to time. It took a fully prepared Ramsey and a radical change in system to bring it out again, and now all of a sudden he is good again?

Mahrez is an extraordinary player. He isnt a hard worker, his attitude isnt the best but the magic he showed and is capable of showing is top level. We need this kind of players and to judge him in a season where there were obviously an agenda against Ranieri, nad where the entire team wasnt up for it is ridiculous.

We need more players capable od deciding matches and in current market, his transfer fee is not high. Im sick of penny pinching talks, buying players isnt science. You try to minimize the risk, but at the end of the day there are just too many factors to know how things will end up.

Buy him, give him freedom and see where it gets You. In a Year time worst case scenario, we sell him to one of the french clubs and recoup some of the fee.

We have to cut out this small club mentality in order to become a big one. Big clubs take big risks because they can afford it. We sure as hell can as well.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Mahrez is not a top winger. One great season doesn't make a player top quality. He's 26 and has 3 seasons in the league. One average, one great, one ****.

He contributes very little when he's not scoring, and he hasn't shown the ability to do that consistently.
The first season he was adjusting the second season he was outstanding and last season he scored ten goals for a team battling relegation. I wouldn't necessarily say that's a **** season. On an individual basis his stats were OK. I think you have to scratch beneath the surface. Leicester losing Kante was a massive loss and there was clearly issues behind the seasons which culminating in Ranieri getting the boot and what followed was a late resurgence by the whole squad.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I pretty much hate the one season wonder **** everybody uses these days. If You are quality and showed it for entire season, then You are quality. You dont suddenly forget to dribble or score just because a season is over.

Ramsey had that sick season, and we all knew that he had it in him as he showed it for Wales and us from time to time. It took a fully prepared Ramsey and a radical change in system to bring it out again, and now all of a sudden he is good again?

Mahrez is an extraordinary player. He isnt a hard worker, his attitude isnt the best but the magic he showed and is capable of showing is top level. We need this kind of players and to judge him in a season where there were obviously an agenda against Ranieri, nad where the entire team wasnt up for it is ridiculous.

We need more players capable od deciding matches and in current market, his transfer fee is not high. Im sick of penny pinching talks, buying players isnt science. You try to minimize the risk, but at the end of the day there are just too many factors to know how things will end up.

Buy him, give him freedom and see where it gets You. In a Year time worst case scenario, we sell him to one of the french clubs and recoup some of the fee.

We have to cut out this small club mentality in order to become a big one. Big clubs take big risks because they can afford it. We sure as hell can as well.

Players sometimes have career seasons and never have a season like that again. It doesn't mean they are bad players. Mahrez was still a good player this past season. But was he really a player you'd feel comfortable paying £40 million for when there are other options available who have shown more consistent quality and come at a lesser price?

No, of course he hasn't forgotten how to dribble or score. No more than Arsène Wenger has forgotten how to coach or all the things he knows about football (as so many seem to believe). But beyond that one magical season, Mahrez doesn't have a track record. The six Premier League goals he scored this season were (not counting Leicester City's title-winning season) the most he had scored since 2011-12 in the French third division.

So it seems to me his value is probably about half what's been thrown out there. For the prices being quoted, I think there are better options.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The first season he was adjusting the second season he was outstanding and last season he scored ten goals for a team battling relegation. I wouldn't necessarily say that's a **** season. On an individual basis his stats were OK. I think you have to scratch beneath the surface. Leicester losing Kante was a massive loss and there was clearly issues behind the seasons which culminating in Ranieri getting the boot and what followed was a late resurgence by the whole squad.

5 of his goals were penalties. 4 of his goals last season were penalties. You need to score them, sure, but they don't say anything about his overall play.

eca08f0928.png

Per 90 minutes. Left side is Mahrez, right side is a player no one here wants Arsenal to sign. Just a bit of perspective on a player supposed to be worth £35m.

He has one great season under his belt, and it wasn't even that great. In fact, here's a fun little comparison. Mahrez vs. Payet, I player I kept arguing was better than Mahrez last season:

4137c3b827.png

Mahrez at this point has to be the most overrated player in the PL. I know these are just stats, but even watching Leicester last season it was blatantly obvious how flukey as **** their entire season was, with most of their quality coming from Kanté.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

As bad as it sounds, Mahrez just didn't want to be at Leicester last season and just wasn't interested in performing anywhere near the level of the season before. Also with his teammates not playing well he didn't really have the hunger to put in the extra work to make a difference all on his own. He's still got amazing quality though and can rip open any defence on his day.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
As bad as it sounds, Mahrez just didn't want to be at Leicester last season and just wasn't interested in performing anywhere near the level of the season before. Also with his teammates not playing well he didn't really have the hunger to put in the extra work to make a difference all on his own. He's still got amazing quality though and can rip open any defence on his day.
He really should have forced the move even if not to us then to somewhere else last summer but it seem Leicester force Mahrez to stay By giving him 100K Contract and then selling him next season so they can cancel the 38M release clause. But after the season he had i don't think any top team will want to pay 40M+ to get him.

arsmile

Established Member
if we lose sanchez and can get him to a similar fee for that which we recoup from snachez then he's worth the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom