• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: I'm Sorry He Didn't Cost £55 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We have a slight issue, I mean i'm very high on Saliba, it's abundantly clear he has the X factor, but at the same time he's very young. And Luiz is too old. Ideally you'd have a CB like that but in between the two in terms of age.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I think @truth_hurts hatred of Holdini has eclipsed, GDeeps hatred for Leno, Big Poppa Pump of Koscielny, Fabo's hatred of everything and everyone, my hatred for Ramsey, Bellerin and dare I say ...even my hatred for Diaby.
I'd probably beat him up in front of his mum, but don't actually hate him. Just feel he more than any other player symbolises our decline under Arteta more than any other.

This guy being a starting centre back and captaining us? Not for me. Blood boils every time he starts an important game for us.

truth_hurts

We have a slight issue, I mean i'm very high on Saliba, it's abundantly clear he has the X factor, but at the same time he's very young. And Luiz is too old. Ideally you'd have a CB like that but in between the two in terms of age.
Callum Chambers, but jury is out as to how good he is.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'd probably beat him up in front of his mum, but don't actually hate him. Just feel he more than any other player symbolises our decline under Arteta more than any other.

This guy being a starting centre back and captaining us? Not for me. Blood boils every time he starts an important game for us.
I don't think even you could complain about Holding being 4th choice CB for us. That's what he is, a low salary and can do some stuff right but he is not the elite CB you can always count on.

For me, if we have a limited budget this summer (which is expected) I would definitely bring Saliba back and start him with Gabriel, at least within 2 years we could have a serious CB partnership.
Everything else is just patching things up: Mari, Luiz, Holding, and short term solutions, that's what mid table looks like and what we've experienced this season.

truth_hurts

I don't think even you could complain about Holding being 4th choice CB for us. That's what he is, a low salary and can do some stuff right but he is not the elite CB you can always count on.

For me, if we have a limited budget this summer (which is expected) I would definitely bring Saliba back and start him with Gabriel, at least within 2 years we could have a serious CB partnership.
Everything else is just patching things up: Mari, Luiz, Holding, and short term solutions, that's what mid table looks like and what we've experienced this season.
4th choice centre backs do not get the captains armband unless they are vastly successful or a club legend. Knob Balding is neither. He has been treated like the 1st or 2nd choice cb for most of the season. It is a travesty.

If he were 4th or 5th choice and starting 5 to 10 league games a season, I'd be off his back.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Callum Chambers, but jury is out as to how good he is.

The fact he's been an Arsenal player since 2014 and the jury's still out on him probably tells you all you need to know. I might use him at RCB till the end of the season though, seeing as Luiz is injured and he's better on the ball than Holding. But he's not a long-term option there.

truth_hurts

The fact he's been an Arsenal player since 2014 and the jury's still out on him probably tells you all you need to know. I might use him at RCB till the end of the season though, seeing as Luiz is injured and he's better on the ball than Holding. But he's not a long-term option there.
Fair.

mirrorstare

He isn't really a symbol of our decline, Xhaka is the poster of going to top 4 to top 6, and Arteta is the poster of going to EL football to relegation level football.

On balance he had an ok-ish season being part of the backline that provided enough clean sheets to fool the people into thinking we were excellent at defending

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Saliba - 20
Gabriel - 23
Mavropanos -23
Holding - 25
Chambers - 26
Mari - 27

Age wise that's actually a pretty good roster. Ideally, you'd want a CB of starter quality in that age group of Holding to Mari - 25 to 27 - but otherwise that's not bad. Especially considering e.g. Klopp/Dortmund won two leagues in a row with a CB pairing of Hummels and Subotic who were both 21 at the time and a 24-year old Felipe Santana as their backup.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I consider myself to be at the positive end of the Holding spectrum, as in I think he's an adequate back-up CB. Any assessment that he's better than that I'd put on the delusional end of the spectrum. But even despite my positivity on him, I fully understand people on more negative ends of the spectrum who say he's just not that good and we might as well sell. Like if someone said that I wouldn't go out of my way to argue with them.

He's an adequate, but limited player, certainly not someone you want to be starting in your most important games at the end of the season.
Someone you also don't give the armband too in your biggest game of the season. Can't spell mediocre without Holding.

mirrorstare

Our best defender today maybe, but fairly worthless moving the ball forward. Don't want to be too harsh given that none of our players were any good on the buildup though.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bang average player, he wouldn't get a game at Burnley. How Saliba is hounded out to give game time to bums like Holding and Mari is beyond me. Edu and Arteta should get sacked for that decision alone.

That being said, I'd keep him around as an emergency back up, same goes for Mari. I get the impression both realise how lucky they are to be at the club, and neither would kick up a stink about being reserves. He's homegrown as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom