• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rob Holding: I'm Sorry He Didn't Cost £55 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Im just waiting for you to do up a chart with 'times out jumped by Sterling to score a goal' for all comparisons on all players and possibly managers

I can tell you that Holding wins in this metric compared to our current cb options. He's a mess. If he weren't English and cost 15m, he'd be seen as worse than Stephanie.

Senderos and Djourou had solid periods here, yet neither were good enough. Both **** on Knob Holding.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Can you see that happening, Arteta’s only just bought Mari and Cedric?

I find it more likely than Holding going as Arteta seems to really like him. Unfortunately it's probably most likely Saliba goes out of our CB's though.

Mari/Cedric will be the exact same situation as we find ourselves in with Torreira and Kolasinac. We'll be scrambling around trying to get someone to take them of our hands in a year or so. Just poor business, not the players' fault though as they where hardly going to turn down those deals.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I can tell you that Holding wins in this metric compared to our current cb options. He's a mess. If he weren't English and cost 15m, he'd be seen as worse than Stephanie.

Senderos and Djourou had solid periods here, yet neither were good enough. Both **** on Knob Holding.
Oh Djourou now that brings back memories, the time he was subbed at right back for Nico Yennaris who was a youth player at the times against utd because Nani was murdering him :facepalm:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Well weirdly enough Holding's stats compare really well to White, surprisingly so, I went in with the hypothesis that maybe Holding would have the better pass % per 90 but White would be stronger with long passes, but it's not the case.

Using FBref here are some figures per 90 from the 20/21 season:

Rob Holding: Overall pass % - 89.3, Short/Medium/Long pass % - 95.4/93.7/75.4
Ben White: Overall pass % - 83.2, Short/Medium/Long pass % - 90.2/89.3/64.3

However here's what might be grabbing Arteta's eye regarding White:

Rob Holding: Passes made under pressure/Passes that travel more than 40 yards/Crosses - 126/60/3
Ben White: Passes made under pressure/Passes that travel more than 40 yards/Crosses - 157/43/19

Edit: I actually made a mistake sorry, I'm getting familiar with FBref.

For the stats just above (Passes made under pressure/Passes that travel more than 40 yards/Crosses) are all for the entire season which is not a great comparison. Here are the same stats per 90:

Rob Holding: Passes made under pressure/Passes that travel more than 40 yards/Crosses - 4.44/2.11/0.11
Ben White: Passes made under pressure/Passes that travel more than 40 yards/Crosses - 4.42/1.21/0.54

So actually per 90 Rob Holding has more passes made under pressure, more passes that travel more than 40 yards, but White still slaps him in terms of crosses.

Again in terms of short, medium and long pass % (per 90); Holding wins in all three.

Interesting, perhaps it shows that stats aren't the be-all and end-all, or maybe Holding is actually quite decent lol.

Edit: Shows the state of football that I didn't even include the defensive stats, but obviously I'm more addressing the discussion about Holding's suitability to playing a passing game.
So they say he's slow, stats show he's our fastest CB. They said he can't pass, stats shows he's actually a good passer. Everything points to Holding being a good player but people just don't want to give him credit for some reason, it's obviously because of the popularity contest aspect people judge players on. If he was a 40m new signing from France or Brazil people would be ecstatic with his season. Gabriel gets praise even though he's worse in every aspect other than size.

truth_hurts

Oh Djourou now that brings back memories, the time he was subbed at right back for Nico Yennaris who was a youth player at the times against utd because Nani was murdering him :facepalm:
Nowhere near as bad as being aerially dominated by Warwick Davies. Please take your nose and tongue out of Holding's bum.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
The best or 2nd best out of 4 CB's who are average, isnt something to shout about. Not one of them would play in the top 4 teams. This is what we need to focus on in every position, can they get us top 4?

Average? 3rd best defensive record in the league and that's with our useless cms not offering much protection and having to put up with the liability Bellerin for a part of the season. Our team needs improvement in a number of areas but CB isn't one if them.

I'd take Holding, Gabriel and Mari over the error prone Lindeloff and Maguire . I'd take Holding and Gabriel over any Chelsea CB. I take Holding, Gabriel and Mari over any Sp**s CB.

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Average? 3rd best defensive record in the league and that's with our useless cms not offering much protection and having to put the liability Bellerin for a part of the season. Our team needs improvement in a number of areas but CB isn't one if them.

I'd take Holding, Gabriel and Mari over the error prone Lindeloff and Maguire . I'd take Holding and Gabriel over any Chelsea CB. I take Holding, Gabriel and Mari over any Sp**s CB.

The way we play means the CB's have to be good with the ball, they have to be able to bring it out. Looking at goals conceded doesn't show the whole picture.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
The way we play means the CB's have to be good with the ball, they have to be able to bring it out. Looking at goals conceded doesn't show the whole picture.

3 of our 4 CBs last season are ball playing CBs and the one that wasn't (Holding) isn't as bad on the ball as many make out (e.g he looked like a prime Bonucci against Southampton) and more importantly is very good defensively with reading of the game and positional awareness.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
3 of our 4 CBs last season are ball playing CBs and the one that wasn't (Holding) isn't as bad on the ball as many make out (e.g he looked like a prime Bonucci against Southampton) and more importantly is very good defensively with reading of the game and positional awareness.

I'm happy to keep Holding but not as a starter. In my view Gabriel could become a starter but Holding & Mari should be back ups at best.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Holding in about a year, now he has finally embraced his baldness...

pascal-cygan-of-arsenal-with-the-premier-league-trophy-after-the-picture-id1217611516

:drool:

truth_hurts

Holding over Maguire, Bailly, Lindelof, Ruduger, Silva or Zouma is ban worthy. No point adding in Gabriel as the Knob Holding/Gabriel partnership looks our worst.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I think the reason we are in strong for White is because Arteta doesnt see Holding as a long term starter.
Extended his contract to protect value.

He also wants someone who can play out from the back.
Lets be honest Luiz was our best CB last season.

Last edited:

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Holding is fine. Gabriel is fine. Saliba is fine. Mari is ok. White is fine

We eating good CB wise

TinFish

The best or 2nd best out of 4 CB's who are average, isnt something to shout about. Not one of them would play in the top 4 teams. This is what we need to focus on in every position, can they get us top 4?
We are not competing for a top 4 place now. The question is can we climb high enough in the table to achieve a Europa League qualifying spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom