Robin van Persie

Discussion in 'Players' started by YuenBiaoFan, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomasCR

TomasCR New Member Trusted

Actually his right foot is not fine at all. Have never seen a player whose second (that worse) leg was so unusable. Everytime he is trying to shot by his right foot, I´m closing my eyes - the same with his left leg nowadays!

2. Rohit

Rohit New Member Elite

He is currently looking a very average striker.

3. IBL

IBL New Member Elite

should be dropped in favour of Bendtner or Vela, his performances have been very inconsistent

4. kamikaze80

kamikaze80 New Member Elite

he has to stop dropping deep. i cant say that enough. hes wasting so much energy and not contributing anything at all to the attack. he had his moments today in the box where he looked like the old robin (his awful shooting notwithstanding). stop this ridiculous experiment of robin as an attacking midfielder and get him back up top where he belongs.

5. nazo

nazo New Member Elite

I just wanted to say that i agree with every word

6. Nela

Nela New Member

He's not a link up player.

If Wenger wants to play that way than Bendtner should be playing ahead of van Persie.

And he gets outmuscled so easily. He looks like Theo sometimes.

7. kooldawg

kooldawg New Member

Maybe time to sell him :p

8. HollandGooner

HollandGooner Well-Known Member

We are playing a 4-5-1 formation with RVP, very deep behind Adebayor that needs to stop, he is not the link player Hleb was. RVP needs to be up front or in a more free role arond Adebayor not in midfield.

9. sesquioxide

sesquioxide New Member

I actually have a suspicion things might be better if Adebayor and van Persie's roles were switched. Adebayor has the athleticism and can pass balls, and van Persie does not need to run as much (which really isn't his strength) if they switched around.

But then what do I know.

10. tactica442

tactica442 New Member Trusted

And Robin got irritated quite easily when going physical. today he constanly released the ball one, two seconds too late.

11. kel varnsen

kel varnsen New Member Trusted

no need for the smiley. of our six options up front, he's by far the worst. already past it. sell him, while we still can get some money for him.

12. McIntyre

McIntyre Well-Known Member

He's not the worst really though is he?

He's inconsistent, but I still think he's a better footballer than Adebayor and Eduardo, and we're yet to see how good Bendtner, Theo and Vela really will become.

He still had more goals than Adebayor this season before Ade hit that hat-trick the other day. I imagine he was also on a par with Adebayor goal-wise before his injuries last season (i'm not sure though). He's not as good a goalscorer as Eduardo. And he MAY not be as good as the youngsters when they fulfill their potential.

But I'd still take him in our first team ahead of Theo, Bendtner and Vela right now. As I said, he's inconsistent, but experience counts for a lot and Wenger's system is not really helping him.

Come next summer, once we've seen if Eduardo's still got it and whether the young guns have it at all, then we should consider whether to sell him or not.

In the meantime, we've got to hope Arséne starts using him properly, otherwise it'll continue one game good one game bad. But at least on his day WE KNOW he can do the job.

13. Biggus

Biggus New Member Elite

Well as far as I'm concerned this is his season either to prove his worth or he can limp off into the sunset.

14. Lord Dula

Lord Dula New Member Elite

****ing showed sod all movement all game.

15. M+D

M+D New Member Trusted

I don't think we can really afford to play Rvp in the team at the moment. He is not showing anything like a bit of form and with Vela, Bendtner and Walcott all impressing so far this season surely one of them (my choice would be Vela) deserves a shot as Ade's partner. At least any of those three would work hard even if their game isn't working.

16. Mark

Mark New Member Elite

I don't think Walcott and van Persie can ever really be in the same lineup together. We lose too much in terms of link-play. Both are players with agendas if you like; RvP's agenda is too get on the ball (usually in useless positions) and try all sorts of tricks and predictable long range shots that either hit the defender or row z and rarely anywhere inbetween, and Theo's agenda is to run, either on the ball or off it, at pace and cross the ball or cut it back.

Neither of them play the game very naturally, ie, doing the simple things and taking the game as it comes, doing as it asks of you. The likes of Bendtner, Nasri and Vela (from what we've seen) don't do anything particularly flashy but they do what has to be done. They save the flashy moments for when it's right to do so, they're not as tied down or obsessed with their own image. That's something I see a lot in Theo and Robin, and was a problem with Hleb and sometimes Adebayor too. I don't know if I've explained it that well, but hey, the bottom line is I think Bendtner needs to start more games and Vela needs more involvement and Eduardo and Nasri can't get back soon enough.

17. kel varnsen

kel varnsen New Member Trusted

i think he is. at least in an arsenal team that is built around pass and move football. as mark said, i don't think you can have both walcott and van persie in the same team. we lose too much of that "natural pass and move" ability.

18. Captain

Captain New Member Elite

But then at the same time Walcott and RvP combined maybe 3-4 times yesterday to set up absolutely lethal opportunities.

19. McIntyre

McIntyre Well-Known Member

Let's not forget though guys, it was his movement and pass that created the space and set Walcott away to set up the goal yesterday. Plus he had a couple of opportunities in front of goal that came from some nice interplay and good movement, he just managed to fluff both of them. We wouldn't be here complaining if he'd finished those chances off. And who's to say any of the other strikers would have finished them off either?

I don't see him being incompatible with any of the players in the squad. I think when he's used right RVP occupies defenders enough to create the space for Walcott and he can spot a pass too. He will also benefit a lot more when Nasri or Rosicky returns to take up the creative mantle and he can get back to being a striker. Right now he's having to come too deep with his back to goal. But even in this current system he'd benefit a lot from Adebayor staying in position once in a while. Having TWO strikers who tend to wander off when they're not seeing enough of the ball is helping nobody.

I agree with Biggus though, I think this is the season that he really needs to step up or we should consider selling him, especially if Eduardo comes back to full fitness and is still awesome.

But for now I don't think Vela, Walcott or Bendtner would be any more effective a partner for Adebayor. And personally, I think Adebayor should be scrutinised just as closely. He's only turned up in two games so far this season too. We're all talking about dropping RVP but why not try teaming HIM up with one of the youngsters rather than making Adebayor an automatic choice?

20. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah New Member Elite

I'd drop him in a heartbeat. Bendtner's last two games have been ezxcellent, whilst Robin's become a player that needs 6 touches to do something with the ball and even then he still doesn't do much with it. The tunnel visioned shoot on sight from wherever he is in the penalty area is irritating too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.