• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCF

The source is Rotterdams Dagblad. Which is a daily newspaper who always have the first news regarding things about Feyenoord. Van Persie will sign a contract to 2008.

For a link to the newspaper click below (also picture of Robin)

link

Mark

Established Member
I read on SkySports that we have renewed our interest in him, but haven't actually signed him yet.

I'm not all that sure about him to be honest. His is not the sort of attitude we have around here and I hope there won't be any stupid Anelka-type arguments.

Also - where are we going to play him? Most people on here seem to think he could be a Pires replacement, and although he can play LM, I'm pretty sure he's always played upfront for Feyenoord and it is his preferred position.

If we're going to play him upfront, what does this mean for Ali and Bentley? Does this also mean Bergkamp will be leaving? It surely means Wiltord and Kanu are leaving.

Jinn

Established Member
I agree Mark. We were linked with him before the signing of Reyes, and I would have thought that signing the latter would have ended our interest in Van Persie.

So where exactly do we play him? Perhaps on the right - so he can cut back in on his favoured left foot, similar to the way Pires does?

No idea really. I would like to think Bergkamp will be staying though.

Sol man

Not a very good translation but here it is.

Rotterdam - Robin van Persie go to PSV, but play up to 2008 in the shirt of Arsenal. The 20 person whose birthday it is feyenoord attacker has in secret conducted the last days negotiations with the club on which he has been since January continue hope. Feyenoord and Arsenal it already once concerning the redemption money for largest brio that the Stadionclub the last has ten years has been produced. Van Persie an direct passage to Arsenal saw blocked in the winter top, because the governing board of Feyenoord could not agree with the control of the Gunners. Feyenoord asked three months suffered almost 8 millions euro for the player, who will move now for approximately half to London. Arsenal reinforced themselves then with the Spanish pointed José Antonio Reyes, but Van Persie knew then all that the club, which tomorrow champion of United Kingdom can become would not lose sight of him. The scouts of Arsenal continued follow the player touched at Feyenoord on a they track. One touched, although he in Rotterdam - south no longer in the basis stood, more and more persuaded of its qualities. These yielded gave manager Arsène Wengerhet signal that Van Persie had be got in. At Arsenal the French man Silvain Wiltord and former Ajacied Nwanko Kanu leave. With Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp and Reyes then but pierce three remain for two positions. Van Persie completes that trio soon, where Wenger go out of it that the rotterdammer in the long run also the spot of mount camp if number can ten take. Triomf For Van Persie, complain that concerning interest did not have to, this a large triomf is. Bondscoach **** lawyer refused him until now for the Netherlands select elftal, Bert van Marwijk grant him in the tank no basisplaats, but Wenger, of the best coaches in Europe, see it sitting entirely with him. Are imminent transfer to Arsenal at PSV will stock as a bomb. The end court ears with Feyenoord already agreed concerning a transfersom and had also an offer had been done to the player. Van Persie had however not yet given its ' yes '. To this week end the hope had Guus Hiddink that the player would choose sport-loving reasons for its club, but Van Persie looks ahead in Arsenal a much larger step in its career. For the governing board of Feyenoord a departure of the player is to a foreign club eventually also more interesting, because he will not make now a large competitor in the competition stronger. Ruud Gullit and mark of Wotte Van Persie had kept kindest in the tank, but because those refused its present contract break open and extend, they agreed with direct sale. Only by doing Van Persie now of the hand, Feyenoord catch four millions still about for themselves the trained player. PSV understood yesterday evening leave that it had fished exactly for zoveelste the time behind. End courts failed the one after the other transfer and one succeeds in not bringing the elftal on sterkte. At Feyenoord the millions will be used of Van Persie to buy a new central verdediger abroad.

SCF

Van Persie has always played in LM position for Feyenoord and thats where Van Persie's ego is coming into play. He wants to play on the "10" position (where bergkamp plays) but the trainer won't put him there because we have a decent player on that position. Van Persie is being bought by Arsenal to replace Bergkamp in 2005/2006 and to give him some competition and learning experiences from Dennis next season.

Jinn: I don't think it's translated yet since this news is just 2 hours old.

Jinn

Established Member
Ah. I translated the translation. Might be completely wrong.

Rotterdam - Robin van Persie will not go to PSV, but will play up until 2008 in the shirt of Arsenal. The Feyenoord attacker, who celebrated his 20th birthday recently has been in secret negotiations in the last few days with the club he has been linked with since January. Van Persie wasn't able to sign for Arsenal in the winter transfer window because the Feyenoord board could not agree a fee with the Gunners.

Three months ago, Feyenoord asked for approximately 8 million euros for the player, but will now be happy with just half that. Arsenal reinforced themselves then with the Spanish striker José Antonio Reyes, but Van Persie knew that the club, who tomorrow can become champions of the United Kingdom, would not lose sight of him. The Arsenal scouts continued to follow the Feyenoord player.

One contact, although located in Rotterdam was more and more persuaded of Van Persie's qualities. This gave manager Arsène Wenger the signal that Van Persie needed to be bought. At Arsenal, the French player Sylvain Wiltord and former Ajax star Nwanko Kanu will leave. Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp and Reyes are left then with competition for the two striking positions. Van Persie joins that trio soon, and Wenger will allow him to have the number 10 shirt when Dennis Bergkamp retires.

SCF

yep good translation , a few small mistakes still but this is the most important part of the article.

Mark

Established Member
I'm sorry for being so negative, but with him I can see something like this happening:

We have such great players it will be difficult for him to get into the team very often, which would mean he is not getting the Premiership experience he needs, so that when he does play for the final 20 minutes of a game or when he comes in for someone who is injured he will look totally out of place, leading to him being dropped which would make him unhappy and lead to possible arguments between him and Wenger, this will just make his performances even worse.

He does not seem to me like the kind of player who would admit he isn't playing well. He seems young and arrogant, certainly not the kind of attitude Reyes has.

I might be completely wrong of course, he might come in, play a few games, settle in really quickly and push one of our regular starters out of the side. Wenger might also sort out his attitude as well, but for some reason I really have a bad feeling about signing him. Bentley is a similar player as he can play on either wing or as a supportive striker, and he has already played games in England and he wouldn't cost us anything. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see more home grown talent in the first team.

Jinn

Established Member
I know. I was thinking as I was writing that... Bentley should have the number 10 shirt when Dennis retires!

Still, I trust in Wenger.

Arjan

Mad Jens said:
See if Arjan can translate it for us - if he wants to, that is.

The translations are pretty good, fact is that only the dutch media seem to "know" that Van Persie goes to Arsenal.

However: It is only said as if it is a quotation from some-one. I don't know who said it, but seemingly it is someone near Van Persie.

He often said he wants to join us and 4 million euro is a very good price indeed 2.4 million pounds. (half of what Feijenoord wanted in januari).

It makes sense to me.

lewdikris

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me at all - when Wenger likes a player he usually hangs in there for him.

I think Arsenal's major plan in the January transfer window was to sign Van Persie in January and Reyes in the summer - as we all know, the Van Persie deal fell apart at the last moment due to Feyenoord hiking up the price, and the Reyes deal - after years of contact and monitoring - finally came together extremely quickly.

Where exactly Van Persie is going to play remains to be seen - as i've said before, Wenger is clearly aiming for a forward line of maximum flexibility - but don't be shocked if this turns out to be true.

JazzG

Established Member
Arjan said:
Mad Jens said:

The translations are pretty good, fact is that only the dutch media seem to "know" that Van Persie goes to Arsenal.

However: It is only said as if it is a quotation from some-one. I don't know who said it, but seemingly it is someone near Van Persie.

He often said he wants to join us and 4 million euro is a very good price indeed 2.4 million pounds. (half of what Feijenoord wanted in januari).

It makes sense to me.

Arjan are all these rumours about him having a bad attidude correct? I think it was you but I remember someone saying he is a very bad loser so it comes across like he has a bad attidude. If that is right then I have no problem with him. I remember you saying the reason he isn't as highly rated as the likes of VdV or Robben is because of the club he plays for. For £2.4mill you can't go wrong imo and is well worth the gamble. I heard rumours about him going to PSV as well.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/foo ... eview=null He has said he wants to play for us as well. From what Arjan said a few months ago, he is an expert freekick taker( this is something we need because Bobby has a habit of delivering **** free kicks), has pace and the dribbling ability of Pires and the passing similiar to Bergkamp.

Mark, I see what your saying but sometimes the best players have 'bad' attidudes, you have to put up with it because they are so talented. Van Bastan described him as "hij is zwaar getalenteerd" which translates to supremely/heavily talented. Cryuff was saying that he should play in euro 2004. One guy on redcafe who is dutch iirc was saying he might go to PSV, there he will be in the limelight and they will go on and sell him to Chelsea for like £20mill. The main problem with Van Persie I hear is that he wants to play behind the striker and not the left wing. He obviously wants to play on a bigger stage where he can realise he potential and is frustrated his club didn't let him join us. Don't read too much into this attidude problem thing, having someone with abit of an attidude isn't always a bad thing.

Bentley is very over-rated imo, whenever I've seen him play I've always wondered if he was as good as the hype around him.

Bobby pires is a fantastic player but how many years does he have in him left? Also at times this season has played like a player who knows his place isn't under any threat. We need to plan for the future now so when Pires isn't our first choice someone else can take his place. Van Persie might be ideal for this, he won't play as a proper winger either. More of a player who can cut in and have abit of a free role, this might appeal to him more than being an out and out winger.

Like we have found out in the past, in football you always gotta keep freshening things up, letting the players know their place is always under threat. This keeps the players on their toes and brings the best out of them. I'm not saying threaten them or anything but at the back of their mind they should know that if they don't perform they will be replaced. This is what man utd did and look at the success it bought them. Liverpool didn't do this in the early nineties and they still haven't recovered. In the past we have bee guility of sticking with exactly the same side and not bringing in newer players. Complacency has snuck in and cost us. In 98/99 we should of bought in a quality striker, in 02/03 we needed a quality CB. Both times Wenger made the mistake of not freshening things up and we didn't win either when we should have.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I read in the Independent online last week that he hadn't given up on signing for Arsenal, and if he was to move, Arsenal would be the place to go.
For about 4m pounds, I'd say that's a very good bit of business ASSUMING its true. Lets face it, Pires will only be able to play at the highest level regularly for the next two seasons, maybe three tops. Van Persie can be integrated into the side early, and then we willl have a natural replacement for Bobby when he does retire. And he can fill in up front as well if necessary.

I havn't seen alot of him to be honest, but he as all of the qualities Wenger likes in a player speed, skill, and an eye for goal. But alot of the posters on here say he has an attitude problem. Can anyone fill me in on what is wrong about his attitude?

More evidence of the deal:

(From Dutch public media 'Omroep Brabant', phone interview)

PSV chairman Harrie van Raaij feels used in the transfer of Robin van Persie to Arsenal. He calls the way the English club did business unashamed and not done. According to Van Raaij, PSV and Van Persie were very close to a deal when suddenly Arsenal appeared. He thinks they stole their player like a thief in the night.

The Eindhoven club saw its last meeting cancelled by Van Persie on Friday. At that moment, he was negotiating with Arsenal.

Sol man

Gazza Martinez said:
More evidence of the deal:

(From Dutch public media 'Omroep Brabant', phone interview)

PSV chairman Harrie van Raaij feels used in the transfer of Robin van Persie to Arsenal. He calls the way the English club did business unashamed and not done. According to Van Raaij, PSV and Van Persie were very close to a deal when suddenly Arsenal appeared. He thinks they stole their player like a thief in the night.

The Eindhoven club saw its last meeting cancelled by Van Persie on Friday. At that moment, he was negotiating with Arsenal.

If this is true then it can only be good news. It will be dissapointing for Ali and Bntley but if what I have been hearing of robin is true then we have a true gem.

Arjan

JazzG said:
Arjan said:
Mad Jens said:

It makes sense to me.

Arjan are all these rumours about him having a bad attidude correct? I think it was you but I remember someone saying he is a very bad loser so it comes across like he has a bad attidude. If that is right then I have no problem with him. I remember you saying the reason he isn't as highly rated as the likes of VdV or Robben is because of the club he plays for. For £2.4mill you can't go wrong imo and is well worth the gamble. I heard rumours about him going to PSV as well.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/foo ... eview=null He has said he wants to play for us as well. From what Arjan said a few months ago, he is an expert freekick taker( this is something we need because Bobby has a habit of delivering s**t free kicks), has pace and the dribbling ability of Pires and the passing similiar to Bergkamp.

He has not got a bad attitude, he is a winner. But his problem is that he "switches off". He makes a brilliant pass and then does not do anything for the next 3-4 minutes.

Remember that this kid is the biggest prospect ever to have played for feijenoord. but he knows!!!! No-one at feijenoord has his talent, if he played at Ajax ít wouldn't have been that much of a problem, since everybody knows "the ajax school of Excellence" and all the talents coming from it.

Moving him to London probably makes him realise that he is hugely talented, but the working hard and training with equally talented players is something different then training and playing for feijenoord.

If he picks up the working attitude he'll be the next Bergkamp.

The question remains, will he pick up the right attitude, but I have faith in Arsène for making that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom