• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Robin Van Persie's contract situation: Signs for Man United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo50

Established Member
Van Persie has less than 18 months to run on his deal, and he's by far our most important player. He's already scored 25 goals this season and every club in Europe will be interested in his services.

Do you think he'll sign a new contract? Will he look for one last big money move and a genuine attempt at titles, or will he feel he owes Wenger and the club a few more years of his service for all the patience we've given him for his injuries?

My take on the situation is that even if he doesn't extend his deal, which I think he won't, we run the contract down and keep him here. The 20m or so we'd get for him won't be nearly enough to replace him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Re: Robin Van Persie's contract situation

Yeah I think he will stay one more year , no point selling him for 20 mill - we won't replace him .

dpt49

Established Member

I would think he would go for a lot more than 20m.
Top strikers are like gold dust, and a striker with a scoring record like his could demand at lest 40m.
Even that looks like a bargain if you compare him with the likes of Torres 50m and Carroll 35m.

I would be surprised if he signed a new contract.
At his age he wants and, rightly expects, CL football, and would probably double his wages as well.

I can't think of a club, in world football, that wouldn't want him.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member

If we don't perform a miracle and finish in the top 4, I'd say there is very little chance he will sign a new contract. I wouldn't sell him though, even if he didn't sign. I'd rather sacrifice the £40million we'd get for him and keep him for another season.

The board wont see it like that though, all they will see is ££££££ and they'll sell him to Man City or Real Madrid.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Im not sure Robin will push for a move, he loves Arsenal, but more than that, his family is very well settled in London - he gave an interview a few weeks ago, I think he's in a good place. That said though, you have one shot at being a footballer and at Robin's age and level of talent you feel he might want more, and who could blame him?

Even if he looks elsewhere, I fancy Wenger to dig his heels in and keep Robin, taking yet another gamble that we could qualify for CL again next season and that might get Robin to extend in 2013 - happy to back Wenger if he takes this approach,

NIPOLOPO

Established Member

As much as I like him to sign a new contract, I'm afraid, I don't see it happening. I think the board has shown time an again, they're not willing to pay over the odds to keep a top class player at the club; while they go around offering mediocre 16 year olds 60k a piece to keep 'em happy at the club.

I also don't get the same vibe from Robin as I did with Del Piero or Totti, those players would go above & beyond call of duty to give their perspective club a boost when they really needed it.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member

ferrarif50hunt said:
If we don't perform a miracle and finish in the top 4, I'd say there is very little chance he will sign a new contract. I wouldn't sell him though, even if he didn't sign. I'd rather sacrifice the £40million we'd get for him and keep him for another season.

The board wont see it like that though, all they will see is ££££££ and they'll sell him to Man City or Real Madrid.
That's absolutely barmy! I rather we sell him for £40million and let the new manager take over and use that money to rebuild his putrid squad.

Glovegun

Established Member

I'd be amazed if he stays. Let's be honest, there's a big discrepancy between how good Robin is and how good Arsenal as a team are.

evoh_1

Established Member

He would only sign a one year contract and would stay past that only if we added enough quality to mount a good run at the title next season and I hope he does but if we miss out on the champions league this year and try and low ball him into a new long term contract and don't spend he will be gone and rightly so. If this club wants to show no ambition to compete for domestic honors then world class players will always want to leave us, the only reason we held onto Henry and Vieira for so long was our constant comeptition for the title.

Airknight

Established Member

It'd be unfair to get mad at him if he decides to leave, he improved massively to help us when we most needed but yet Arsène and the board did little to improve the team and carry the momentum, leading us to where we are now. I'm not sure of how actually happy he is, he loves Arsenal, but a player like him has to and deserves to pursue and win more trophies :|

Either he renews or we sell, board won't pass up of an opportunity to win 40+m, you all know that.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

Van Persie should put some faith into this Club in the same manner as we've shown faith in him on countless occasions when he was injured or had problems off the field.

He'll sign an extension after we win the FA cup, if not, I would like us to run down his contract but judging by recent decisions by the board/Wenger that's very naive expectation.

mistaT

Established Member

Not going to lie - I think we'll have a real hard time keeping him.

Between our scant board/manager and the likelihood we won't be in the CL next year it really doesn't look good. The actual expense of keeping RVP is incredibly high as it would be based off him getting a new, much larger contract + surrounding him with quality signings (I like to think he'll demand this) + the loss of a transfer fee for him.

ArseGod

Yup

I'd say he signs up before the Euros or Arsena descides to take the money towards the end of the window.

fabo

6.51 / 10

We might have won a trophy had Robin been fit in recent seasons. We could certainly have used a 15-20 striker alongside Adebayor in 07/08, would have given us the needed push to get over the line I feel as you sensed there just weren't enough goal threats in the side when we began to struggle that year with Hleb in the hole, and Cesc/Ade both hit patches where they weren't scoring. Eboue/Diaby wide once Rosicky fell.....:lol:

Hard to begrudge him if he leaves but a part of me will be a little disappointed tbh. Players can't and don't think like fans, for the most part anyway. If we continue as we are, he'll basically finish his career trying to get us/keep us in the Top 4 and scrapping for the odd trophy on the side - not that appealing I know.

Could we really not afford two 20m players, should be enough to get us back in contention for the title I think. Wenger tries to exaggerate the situation talking about 50m players and the like, there's still value to be had in the market but we aren't aggressive enough it seems.

ArseGod

One of the problems is he is a 60 million player.

If we were to turn that into 3-4 excellent signings then I'd be all for it. However, it'd be more likely that we bought an underrated Striker with potential for 15 and pocketed the rest of the money

fabo

6.51 / 10

I'm guessing there's only a short window to get BIG money for Robin. He'll be basically 30 by the end of his contract(correct me if I'm wrong), even if he had 4 years to run at that point, I doubt we could get 30m+ for him.

eye4goal

Established Member

fabo said:
Hard to begrudge him if he leaves but a part of me will be a little disappointed tbh. Players can't and don't think like fans, for the most part anyway. If we continue as we are, he'll basically finish his career trying to get us/keep us in the Top 4 and scrapping for the odd trophy on the side - not that appealing I know.

and achievable without RVP. You don't need one of the world's top 3 strikers to play for CL qualification. His injuries have cost us in the past but he has carried us for over a year now and is not even on massive wages.

Freagle

We should accept any bid of 25 million or over. Love him to bits but I just can't see him staying aboard a sinking ship.

fabo

6.51 / 10

I can slowly see Van Persie being broken down over the course of this season tbh. It was all rainbows earlier in the season when we were climbing the table fast and he was chasing the record, but he's looking greyer by the week to me and must be getting pissed off with the burden of carrying so many below-par players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom