Round Of 16: England v Slovakia

Badger_Revenge

I watched Spain interchange positions in attack today with Georgia sitting deep. They were dynamic and it actually appeared to be team on offense. It was like night and day compared to England. Yeah, they gave up some chances in transition, but that was a team playing with confidence.

benjamin86

Established Member
I watched Spain interchange positions in attack today with Georgia sitting deep. They were dynamic and it actually appeared to be team on offense. It was like night and day compared to England. Yeah, they gave up some chances in transition, but that was a team playing with confidence.
You can see they're well coached and everyone knows their role.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
I just don't see how Gordon isn't in at LW in this team. They are crying for some pace on the wings and threat in behind. Especially if you insist on playing Kane.

If you insist on Foden just stick Bellingham next to Rice and get him on the ball, he can make late runs into the box, Rice will cover him.

Trippier and Foden together is just back passing merchants because they both lack pace or ability to go outside.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I only support England because of Arsenal and the Premier League but my god is this nation messed up when it comes to coach selection.

You guys need to understand you don’t have the coaching abilities of the Germans, Italians, Spanish, etc. so ditch this “Must Be British” nonsense and get a world class coach.

This is a generational squad and you’re wasting with him or any other English/British coach. Get an offensive style coach with a winning history.
We have tried big name foreign coaches in the past & it hasn't really worked.
Tbf Southgate has largely done well in big tournaments & is liked by the players.
I agree though he has certainly struggled to get a tune out of a very talented squad.

I don't think the structure is right but I will also say a lot of our bigger name players from top clubs look tired after long hard seasons.

The Prem is more physically demanding than other leagues & even the ones that play abroad Kane & Bellingham have played lots of football.

It looks like he has perhaps run his course though & we need some fresh ideas?

The England job is a bit of a poisoned chalice tbh.

Farzad

Stormy's Lifetime Fan and Subscriber #1 🫶🏽

Player:Havertz
We have tried big name foreign coaches in the past & it hasn't really worked.
Tbf Southgate has largely done well in big tournaments & is liked by the players.
I agree though he has certainly struggled to get a tune out of these players.

I don't think the structure is right but I will also say a lot of our bigger name players from top clubs look tired after long hard seasons.
The Prem is more physically demanding than other leagues & even the ones that play abroad Kane & Bellingham have played lots of football.

It looks like he has perhaps run his course though & we need some fresh ideas?

The England job is a bit of a poisoned chalice tbh.
Who? England never hire big name foreign managers unless you mean Sven. They hire the most ordinary managers possible. Southgate was a lower division manager

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Who? England never hire big name foreign managers unless you mean Sven. They hire the most ordinary managers possible. Southgate was a lower division manager
Capello was a very well thought of coach.

Milan, Juve & Real Madrid on his CV.

Loads of Titles in Italy & Spain.

Farzad

Capello was a very well thought of coach.

Milan, Juve & Real Madrid on his CV.
That is one guy. Otherwise look at roster of England managers. Foreign or otherwise and it is very ordinary.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
That is one guy. Otherwise look at roster of England managers. Foreign or otherwise and it is very ordinary.
Venables was good & Hoddle was an astute coach tbf.
Sometimes the team has been overrated.

It's always a bone of contention that England or any big nation tbf should have a same nationality coach.

Some people don't want Deschamps as French coach.

I don't think England have a WC coach.

But if you go the foreign coach route who do you take?

Most top coaches don't want international jobs until they are virtually ready to retire or finished with Club football.

Do you hire a Martinez like Belgium & Portugal have?

Unless Ancelloti decides to retire from club football or you can talk Arsène into leaving FIFA? 🤔

Last edited:

Farzad

Venables was good & Hoddle was an astute coach tbf.
Sometimes the team has been overrated.

It's always a bone of contention that England or any big nation tbf should have a same nationality coach.

Some people don't want Deschamps as French coach.

I don't think England have a WC coach.

But if you go the foreign coach route who do you take?

Most top coaches don't want international jobs until they are virtually ready to retire or finished with Club football.

Do you hire a Martinez like Belgium & Portugal have?

Unless Ancelloti decides to retire from club football or you can talk Arsène into leaving FIFA? 🤔
Potter? Maybe Frank

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Yesterday highlighted perfectly what a disaster class Southgate is.

I actually gave him too much credit by calling him an average manager pre-tournament, he's exceptionally poor.

Making no changes at half time, being unable to break down some pretty basic tactics from Slovakia, waiting till the 93rd minute to being on another striker.

Funny thing is, we've squeaked through and Southgate will use that as validation that he made the correct decisions.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

England has a tendency to be overrated, especially by the English media. That generally leads to expectations that are inflated, and that the players buckle under.

There's plenty of very good players in this England side, but is it a good team?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The downfall of this England team is no different than the past.

As soon as we have more than one good player in the same position we start throwing terms around like generational.

Foregoing any sort of balance because god forbid Foden, Kane, Saka or Bellingham have to sit on the bench.

Was the same in the Beckham era, will be the same in futures eras.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Big up to Toney for telling him as it is. The whole move of not using someone for the whole tournament and only utilising them with 2 mins to go for long throws etc is hugely disrespectful. Certain man would have just kept quiet and let it slide but I actually rate that he didn’t tolerate it.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]
Top Bottom