Round Of 16: England v Slovakia

outlawz

Southgate's waistcoat knitter
I only support England because of Arsenal and the Premier League but my god is this nation messed up when it comes to coach selection.

You guys need to understand you don’t have the coaching abilities of the Germans, Italians, Spanish, etc. so ditch this “Must Be British” nonsense and get a world class coach.

This is a generational squad and you’re wasting with him or any other English/British coach. Get an offensive style coach with a winning history.

Remember when England won the Euros with scudetto winner and Ulrika Johnson smasher Sven and the Invincible great that is Fabio Capello? Yeah, neither do I.

Trilly

All views posted are NOT my own
Trusted ⭐

I'd still say we'd be better with him as a CAM than Bellingham. Bellingham lacks playmaking abilities and is effective as a second striker. If England play with Foden/Palmer as a CAM with Rice and Mainoo at the back there would be more balance. Whilst the latter two CM's are good, they can't carry the playmaking burden.
I don’t know why I’m getting tagged when the problem/solution is clear for anyone with two brain cells to see.

I’ve been calling for Gordon/Eze to start ahead of Foden if LW is where Southgate insists on playing him. He’s not going to do anything out there.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

What business?

He scored that one freekick v Greece, tbf.

Then at the actual tournaments he would either get sent off stupidly, keep missing penalties or get injured at key moments and cost them.

But getting them to the actual tournaments, he was the fooking man...that one time 💪

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He scored that one freekick v Greece, tbf.

Then at the actual tournaments he would either get sent off stupidly, keep missing penalties or get injured at key moments and cost them.

But getting them to the actual tournaments, he was the fooking man...that one time 💪
Hey man, my point to @jones still stands. Relatively speaking Beckham was one of England's better performers in major tournaments. That's not saying much but it's something. The only English player in the Golden Generation who wasn't a letdown was Ashley Cole. That's it.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Hey man, my point to @jones still stands. Relatively speaking Beckham was one of England's better performers in major tournaments. That's not saying much but it's something. The only English player in the Golden Generation who wasn't a letdown was Ashley Cole. That's it.

The Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand partnership at WC 2002 was decent tbf, so you could probably add them in. I think had Rio not been banned in 04 and they stuck with that partnership then we could have been speaking about them differently too.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
The Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand partnership at WC 2002 was decent tbf, so you could probably add them in. I think had Rio not been banned in 04 and they stuck with that partnership then we could have been speaking about them differently too.
Hmm, so it appears Campbell, Ferdinand and Cole were the only English players who could hold their heads up high. I wonder why the English media never told us this. I wonder.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Tony Adams had one bad game v prime Van Basten at Euro 88 when he was 21, and the media never let go of it...he was excellent for them in 1996 and 1998, press are weird in this country.

England's main issue during the golden generation (post World Cup 2002) was coaching/tactics, some of the teams Sven picked in his last 2 tournaments were just bizarre...2010 and on, I just don't think England's team was good enough anymore.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Southgate doesn't just lack the tactical acumen, he lacks the ruthlessness to drop big names, just hopes that one of the stars will produce a moment of magic as Bellingham did yesterday.

I'm not even really going to knock Foden. He's not suited to playing out on the left for England and it's the managers fault for persisting with it when Stevie Wonder could see it's not going to work.

The players deserve a degree of blame but they're going from being coached by Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, even Arteta to this guy who's so far out of his depth it's almost laughable. It's no wonder the players don't really know what's going on or expected of them.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Southgate doesn't just lack the tactical acumen, he lacks the ruthlessness to drop big names, just hopes that one of the stars will produce a moment of magic as Bellingham did yesterday.

I'm not even really going to knock Foden. He's not suited to playing out on the left for England and it's the managers fault for persisting with it when Stevie Wonder could see it's not going to work.

The players deserve a degree of blame but they're going from being coached by Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, even Arteta to this guy who's so far out of his depth it's almost laughable. It's no wonder the players don't really know what's going on or expected of them.

Don’t worry mate, one more win against the Swiss and you’re there for a nice fat extension!

Arise Sir Gareth when?

Mohamed7

We have tried big name foreign coaches in the past & it hasn't really worked.
Tbf Southgate has largely done well in big tournaments & is liked by the players.
I agree though he has certainly struggled to get a tune out of a very talented squad.

I don't think the structure is right but I will also say a lot of our bigger name players from top clubs look tired after long hard seasons.

The Prem is more physically demanding than other leagues & even the ones that play abroad Kane & Bellingham have played lots of football.

It looks like he has perhaps run his course though & we need some fresh ideas?

The England job is a bit of a poisoned chalice tbh.

Other than Fabio Capello, which other big-name foreign coaches have you tried in the last 30 years? I don’t believe Sven-Göran Eriksson falls into this category.

Yes, I do agree that Gareth Southgate (GS) has done considerably well, especially given how poorly the national team performed in the decade before his appointment.

One area he really improved is the inclusion of players from the so-called non-top 6 clubs. Before him, there was clear tribalism in the squad selection, prioritizing top 6 players. A case in point is Theo Walcott's selection in the 2006 World Cup before he even kicked a ball for us in the league. He would not have been selected had he been with Southampton at that time.

Another point is that he galvanized the squad to play as a team through squad chemistry building. Before him, the dressing room was divided into groups based on clubs. Arsenal players stuck together, Man United ones the same, etc.

That being said, I am not quite sure he had any influence on the development of this generation. If any structural changes to address the technical level of English youths were proposed by him and implemented by the FA and respective clubs, it’s not clear.

Structural Issues:

This has been the biggest issue for quite some time, more apparent since 2022. Before the emergence of technically gifted players in 2021, such as Foden and Grealish, his style of 5 at the back with quick transitions not only simplified coaching the team but also suited the squad. However, his lack of tactical abilities is getting exposed with the additional talents available now.

Club Competition Fatigue:

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you on this. There’s no handicap caused by the English Premier League competition and the English cups. Other European nations face similar challenges.

Extra Pressure from English Media and Fans:

Again, you can’t quantify this, and it is no different from the pressure the Germans and Spanish faced before winning major tournaments. Perhaps, the English have not won it in a longer time, making the pressure feel more intense.

outlawz

Southgate's waistcoat knitter
England are the Sp**s of the International stage. Haven't won a major trophy in over half a century, but the fans think that this time will be different because we have a generational squad (every tournament). Doesn't matter who we have in charge, the results are the same. Boring turgid football.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
He's dogshit according to @MaraDon . Rate his knowledge but he drops the occasional massive stinker in like this

Akh @2Smokeyy and I know this guy is class from time, been fiending for one of these classy midgets in midfield for ages.
I did not say he was ****.
I said he is not good enough for us

We had better in Xhaka and we need better than him.

My last stinker was probably McAllister was not going to succeed at Liverpool, and he proved me wrong. But generally, when it comes to players that I watch often I can tell, Just like I can tell Martinelli is not good enough.

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]

Latest posts

Top Bottom