• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ruben Neves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

People's obsessions with pace (in particular for defenders and CM where it is even less important) is so weird.

Bust be a Fifa computer game thingy.
So having two slow centre backs is not a big deal? Why are people talking like there are plenty of great players out there. Most CBs in the PL are on similar level where physical attributes separate them. VVD wouldn’t be 80 million if he had Mertesacker pace. Kante wouldn’t be one of PLs great midfielders if he had xhaka pace. And Henry wouldn’t be PL greatest striker if he had Giroud pace

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm not sure if this has been shared, but I'll put it here as a reminder at least. There are stats comparisons against Xhaka, Partey and Bissouma.

Like zilfy said, almost everyone at Wolves forum is gutted to lose Neves, and especially for under 50 million.

We need to replace Xhaka, and we are not in the position to get Vieira level players (an example only for a perfect midfielder). Neves should be an upgrade, young enough and not as slow with otherwise pretty similar or better abilities.

It's obvious that this cannot be our only new midfielder.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
People's obsessions with pace (in particular for defenders and CM where it is even less important) is so weird.

Bust be a Fifa computer game thingy.
If You play with a dedicated cam then You want a pair of CMs capable of defending and fast enough to do covers to the flanks and supporting attack. Fast enough to taking a player.

It's like some of You have not watched how Bad is having slow Cms with our players.

Once You have one slow player i'm midfield You need two of them to do the dirty job for him. If he plays deep, You want him to play in a Pirlo role with that set of skills. But ir You look which players went next to him and how the cover for his slow pace then there is balance.

Midfield is built around the Quality of that slow player, wheather he plays deep role or advance role as cam. You don't play 2 or 3 slow Cms nor players not capable of recovering ball.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Pace isn't vital for Cms or defenders.

Give me Xavi, Ineista, Santi, Cesc, Keane, Gilberto, Petit, Lahm, Pirlo and Modric over Kante, Parker, Ndidi, Ramsey , Partey and Bissouma.

Campbell, Kos and VVD are literally the only three great CBs in PL that had pace. Whilst nearly all of the top 50 PL cbs of all time didn't have pace.

Give me Brains, positional awareness and technique over pace any days.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think @drippin has it right with what we want the CM to do. It depends on our system and full backs in part as to the sheer amount of space that has to be covered. We're not getting Hakimi anyway. As we are buying this CM before any RB replacement for Bellerin we can adjust accordingly. Chambers was good enough to support Pepe, we don't really need much more attacking than that from the RB.

tcahill

Exactly, most of us don't really know how good he is because we don't see him week in and week out.

That's why I recommend heading to the wolves forum to see what they think of him, as they see him every week.

They rave about him and are furious at the prospect of selling any lower than 50 mil. This tells me more than you tube comps ever could

Could not support this more. None of us watch wolves regularly. If the people who do -ie Wolves fans - think he's a baller and are angry he's leaving, that's good enough for me.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Give me Xavi, Ineista, Santi, Cesc, Keane, Gilberto, Petit, Lahm, Pirlo and Modric over Kante, Parker, Ndidi, Ramsey , Partey and Bissouma.

Campbell, Kos and VVD are literally the only three great CBs in PL that had pace. Whilst nearly all of the top 50 PL cbs of all time didn't have pace.

Why not all those things + pace. I never said pace is better than brains, positional awesomeness or technique. I’m saying pace is better than slow while some of you saying pace don’t matter. If both players are technically and tactically great. The better athlete is better player. Pace is a very useful tool that can make life much easier for player. Defender having recovery pace is a big +.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Could not support this more. None of us watch wolves regularly. If the people who do -ie Wolves fans - think he's a baller and are angry he's leaving, that's good enough for me.
I do. I’ve seen enough to know he’s decent but nothing special and certainly no better than Xhaka. The thing is, we have Xhakas replacement in Partey. We need someone a little different next to him more of an off the ball player.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I've seen people on here genuinely having a go at every single potential signing we could make. Conveniently forgetting we arent even in ****ing Europe and we are now building to get back into Europe.

People need to remember where we are, Neves is a fantastic footballer who will improve our midfield. Saliba or Tapsoba for example will improve on Holding. Any right back of good quality improves on bellerin.

These are all small things but will make a big difference as a whole. But people don't seen to understand that and want to bash the club at every opportunity before anythings even happened.
Get back into which Europe? If it's the pathetic EL I'm not interested and will pack it in.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

So Kanté doesn’t have brains, positional awareness and technique?

Give me strength.

Mitch

So Kanté doesn’t have brains, positional awareness and technique?

Give me strength.

Kante Certainly no Gilbeto Silva or Lahm and doesn't have particularly good positional awareness. Technique? Well he is not a very gifted technical either.

Iceman10

Established Member
Wish we could just go back to the day that Arsenal bought Vieira, Petit, Gilberto, etc., and fans just enjoyed the results. That's the problem really, trust in the club acquiring the right players. I think this thread just shows gaps in our abilities to pick out the best players ourselves, esp. 30-40m players, not the obvious top tier 60-70m signings clubs such as RM, City, Bayern, etc. would target. In truth a lot of people for example thought Ndombele was a stellar signing for Spuds but even with him it wasn't smooth sailing.

As long as we buy 2 CM's I think some risk can be spread, with squad competition, as @Finesse actually alluded to yesterday. That's good enough for me. Would be a big improvement over what we have, and we will be upgrading on Xhaka and his liabilities.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

It's not everything if your team has 70% and you don't have much tracking back and end to end football. All those players you listed played in dominant sides. Sides that controlled the game and not the end to end football we see with Arsenal.

You only have to look at how Thomas has got found out having to run forward and back in the same 10 seconds.

Rodrigo at City looks a very good player at City. Not much chasing back to do and gaps in midfielder because the games in front of him. Put him into a team like Leeds and he would get found out something shocking.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Subtle trolling from Mitch as usual. Ahh well..

No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce

Mitch

This may be the most ridiculous post I have seen on this forum. That is saying something.

You reckon Kante had elite positional awareness and discipline. Do you belive kante is technically elite? Could you see fitting into a prime pep Barcelona and not sticking out like a sore thumb in that midfield?

I am not saying Kante wasn't a very good player but that due to different attributes.

Last edited:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You reckon Kante had elite positional awareness and discipline. Do you belive kante is technically elite? Could you see fitting into a prime pep Barcelona and not sticking out like a sore thumb in that midfield?

Not to say Kante wasn't a very good player but that dur to different attributes.
You don't need a kante in Peps Barcelona. You don't need a Kante in Man City. You need a Kante in an open game where the game is open and end to end. The ground he covers, the ability to make that last ditch tackle is incredible. You only have to listen to pros saying its like having 3 players there.

Kysus

If You play with a dedicated cam then You want a pair of CMs capable of defending and fast enough to do covers to the flanks and supporting attack. Fast enough to taking a player.

It's like some of You have not watched how Bad is having slow Cms with our players.

Once You have one slow player i'm midfield You need two of them to do the dirty job for him. If he plays deep, You want him to play in a Pirlo role with that set of skills. But ir You look which players went next to him and how the cover for his slow pace then there is balance.

Midfield is built around the Quality of that slow player, wheather he plays deep role or advance role as cam. You don't play 2 or 3 slow Cms nor players not capable of recovering ball.
Positioning is much much much more important than pace for a CM and If the team as a whole is working properly as well pace is rarely ever needed there as a CM should not need to cover vast open space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom