• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ruben Neves

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Torreria, Guendouzi and Xhaka out, Neves and DePaul (I haven't seen much of him) would be a noticeable improvement. ESR in front and Azeez coming through. Still think we'd need another though with or without Willock.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Hope the interest is genuine, it always seemed like agent talk. I hope we're just waiting for Xhaka to be officially out.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I can't really think of any players better than Neves who would join us without European football in that position.
People seem to be obsessed with replacing Xhaka when we already have his replacement in Partey. Ideally, we'd pair him with a top box to box mid, with Willock being the understudy.

The problem with Neves is he doesn't excel at anything. You look at similar players, Xhaka and Jorginho, they excel at passing, they are deep lying playmakers, they are important to working the ball from back to front. Neves isn't a top passer.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
People seem to be obsessed with replacing Xhaka when we already have his replacement in Partey. Ideally, we'd pair him with a top box to box mid, with Willock being the understudy.

So this is my problem with that.

Whilst Partey is good, I do believe he can do everything Xhaka does. I really don't think his main trait is linking defence to attack. I think he's a ball carrying CM, he also describes himself and has been described as "the octopus" due to his ability to make tackles in DM. And that shows in the stats, Xhaka played 1000 more minutes than Partey this season. And Partey managed to make one less interception than Xhaka, that's pretty telling.

Same thing with tackles, Xhaka made 50, Partey 44. Over a whole season the guy is going to be a monster as a DM for us but he doesn't control the play. I think we need a Neves for the balance in the vast majority of games.

AeNwT

I understand how underwhelmed a lot of us are & how we want just want someone better with more potential. I didn’t like this link at first but I see this move as an on the fly upgrade. Younger & can produce immediately. I was against this move however I understand it & I use six databases to scout players after watching them.

Every database I use ranks Neves as a solid 8.2 to 8.5 player out of 10. In comparison Xhaka is a 7.8 to 8.1 & has contributed to more negative goal involvements than anyone in the history of the premier league. Basically arsenal aren’t trying to reinvent there midfield just make it more consistent & Dynamic which I think Neves does. (A score of 8.3 in my opinion is what I want from a starter minimum)

A lot of fans don’t realise that Arsenal are so poor now that Ceballos & Xhaka combine to do one good competent players role. They’re so limited in what they can do physically. Which is why Arsenal are selling Xhaka so cheaply.

Neves is literally a mix of Xhaka & Ceballos’ best attributes & all of their good traits & habits. A little faster plus a lot better positioned tactically, better finisher, aware of his own limitations, which all helps. He can play forward like Ceballos but also sit deep & receive the ball like Xhaka. This move says to me that we are trying to secure premier league experienced players as the likes of Torreira, Ceballos & Guendouzi simply haven’t worked out.

To me this move fills a direct team need. It’s not a coincidence we’ve reached a lower position with Xhaka in the midfield season after season. Again I like Xhaka I rate him, just not high enough.

I wouldn’t personally go for Neves but I can remember two occasions this season where I’ve thought we could do with him. Once when he played Liverpool & once against us. Also when watching Deluded Gooner on YouTube.

We need players who are delivering & I think Azeez could learn a lot from Neves as well.

again I actually like Xhaka but the relationship has run it’s course. It’s like keeping your partner around when you know the relationship has clearly soured & you no longer want it to work 😁

I can think of Mikel Merino, Tielemans & Bissouma who all rank favourably but Neves seems to be Arteta’s choice. He’s not bad by any means. As I said. Xhaka & Ceballos aren’t better than Neves at anything. Meaning he’s better or equal at everything. I’m not saying he’s world class but this is like when Liverpool purchased Henderson & no one can call him $*** in my opinion. It’s a relatively smart move which solidifies the spine. We could have Partey & Neves so two competent starter level midfielders which we haven’t had for a while. Also Neves would help control the midfield as there’d be two players who can tackle & progressively pass.

Last edited:

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Young
I understand how underwhelmed a lot of us are & how we want just want someone better with more potential. I didn’t like this link at first but I see this move as an on the fly upgrade. Younger & can produce immediately. I was against this move however I understand it & I use six databases to scout players after watching them.

Every database I use ranks Neves as a solid 8.2 to 8.5 player out of 10. In comparison Xhaka is a 7.8 to 8.1 & has contributed to more negative goal involvements than anyone in the history of the premier league. Basically arsenal aren’t trying to reinvent there midfield just make it more consistent & Dynamic which I think Neves does. (A score of 8.3 in my opinion is what I want from a starter minimum)

A lot of fans don’t realise that Arsenal are so poor now that Ceballos & Xhaka combine to do one good competent players role. They’re so limited in what they can do physically. Which is why Arsenal are selling Xhaka so cheaply.

Neves is literally a mix of Xhaka & Ceballos’ best attributes & all of their good traits & habits. A little faster plus a lot better positioned tactically, better finisher, aware of his own limitations, which all helps. He can play forward like Ceballos but also sit deep & receive the ball like Xhaka. This move says to me that we are trying to secure premier league experienced players as the likes of Torreira, Ceballos & Guendouzi simply haven’t worked out.

To me this move fills a direct team need. It’s not a coincidence we’ve reached a lower position with Xhaka in the midfield season after season. Again I like Xhaka I rate him, just not high enough.

I wouldn’t personally go for Neves but I can remember two occasions this season where I’ve thought we could do with him. Once when he played Liverpool & once against us. Also when watching Deluded Gooner on YouTube.

We need players who are delivering & I think Azeez could learn a lot from Neves as well.

again I actually like Xhaka but the relationship has run it’s course. It’s like keeping your partner around when you know the relationship has clearly soured & you no longer want it to work 😁

I can think of Mikel Merino, Tielemans & Bissouma who all rank favourably but Neves seems to be Arteta’s choice. He’s not bad by any means. As I said. Xhaka & Ceballos aren’t better than Neves at anything. Meaning he’s better or equal at everything. I’m not saying he’s world class but this is like when Liverpool purchased Henderson & no one can call him $*** in my opinion. It’s a relatively smart move which solidifies the spine. We could have Partey & Neves so two competent starter level midfielders which we haven’t had for a while. Also Neves would help control the midfield as there’d be two players who can tackle & progressively pass.
Younger doesn't mean better, not in that position anyway. Xhaka is only 28 btw, its not like we are replacing a 32 year old. I don't think we'd be getting an upgrade.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Great post. Kante dominated a midfield with gundugon, kdb and bernado silva. All those players are intelligent players. But there is no intelligence that could make gundugon keep up with kantes pace and athleticism. People are talking like neves is next coming of xavi and bissouma is lee catermole. Both are similar level in overall talent with different strengths. But one is stronger and quicker by some distance and it makes huge difference. For example would anyone choose neves ahead of ndidi as dm?
And that bolded part is why we should be getting both instead of arguing about who is better. We're losing 2-3 midfielders so we need at least 2.

AeNwT

Young

Younger doesn't mean better, not in that position anyway. Xhaka is only 28 btw, its not like we are replacing a 32 year old. I don't think we'd be getting an upgrade.

I didn’t say it does but Arsenal need younger players who have premier league experience.

Neves has also played in & won the championship in centre midfield so he’s definitely proven.

In what way is Neves a downgrade ? Honestly the databases speak for themselves. Neves is a solid replacement.

Who would you target ?

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I didn’t say it does but Arsenal need younger players who have premier league experience.

Neves has also played in & won the championship in centre midfield so he’s definitely proven.

In what way is Neves a downgrade ? Honestly the databases speak for themselves. Neves is a solid replacement.

Who would you target ?
I think Xhaka is a better progressive passer. The angle and weight of his passing is a lot better. He knows how to get the full backs involved into the attack.

Neves for me has been protected by Wolves’ defensive shape. Much like Arsenal when they played a 5 back. In our 4231, Neves would get exposed for his lack of physical attributes, the same as Xhaka.

Like you, I actually like Xhaka and if we are going to replace him, I’d like someone better or someone with a different profile, a player who is more box to box. Don’t get me wrong, Neves isn’t a bad player, but 40m? Not for me.

I’d like us to sign Ødegaard and then pair Partey with a dynamic box to box player, a bit like Ramsey when we had Özil. Would like Willock to get a shot, Ødegaard dropping deeper, Willock running off the ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom