• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Such a bitterly disappointing signing. I think Arsenal should play a game called “Would Leicester do that?” Every time Edu and Arteta get any bright ideas they should ponder if Leicester would it. If the answer is no. DON’T F@%KING DO IT!

Also if your reaction to a signing is "he can do a job", then it's probs not a great signing

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
There is still no trustworthy source reporting about this apart from few journalists said we only interested and the tier 1.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I really don't know what the **** people want as backup to Tierney who will play 90% of the time. He's 23 years old so why would we sign a 15-25M young left back to be on the bench? We aren't in Europe for **** sakes.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
don't care about this signing much we just need a natural LB who is decent i don't want us to play Xhaka Cedric there have you see the backups of Manutd Liverpool? i care more we spend big money on RB and improve the midfield who is worse than most bottom 10 sides the Bertrand signing won't even frustrate me.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Bertrand is decent back-up and if it's a two year deal I would be okey with it if we shift William,Luiz and Soares,maybe Lacazette. Cant keep filling up the squad with too many average players in their thirties.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Kind of attitude that gets you nowhere.

Tell me what's wrong with signing Bertrand on a one or two year deal? Because next season it's quite likely we will have way less games. Tierney will play nearly every week and Bertrand will play Cup games. When his contract is up Tierney will be 25/26 and we can sign a young talent as backup when we are back in Europe. He's also homegrown which helps a ton.

It really isn't rocket science and its a very good signing considering.
Willian, Leichsteiner, Mkhitaryan and Cedric. All fairly cheap short term transfers that have all been supposedly ‘good’ signings who end up being crap. What’s makes you think Betrand will buck that trend?

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I really don't know what the **** people want as backup to Tierney who will play 90% of the time. He's 23 years old so why would we sign a 15-25M young left back to be on the bench? We aren't in Europe for **** sakes.
Considering Tierney is fairly injury-prone I think the backup will get more games than you probably think. I agree, 15-20 million for a backup fullback is a lot but there are good fullbacks who are not going for that sort of money. Justin from Leicester cost them £6 million and can play both fullback roles to a high standard. Why can’t a club like Arsenal show a bit of imagination and do the same? The money that you have to pay to bring in Betrand will probably cost the same or more than what it would for us to bring in a fullback like Justin.

Bloodbather

Established Member

The acceptability of this transfer depends on the length of the contract and the wages. If it's a 2-year deal on decent wages, then it's a decent move. Can't spend too much on a backup at one of your strongest positions when you have so many pressing needs and Bertrand is pretty dependable.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Keep seeing people post crap like this without giving any alternatives.
This is such an odd outlook that is based on blindly supporting the club's decisions no matter what the outcome.

Well who else could we buy?

That isn't our job. A billion pound business with the entire talent pool of world football, the attraction of being a Premier Leaue club cannot find a better deal than Bertrand? It is inexcusable.

Another old Chelsea boy looking for a payday. Sorry is he coming to us to win things? At the age of 32, if we got back into Europe he will be 33. There are no 33 year old full backs who can do what we need them to do. It just isn't physically possible. Tierney's position isn't based on excellent defending. Its literally physical intensity and drive. Why not buy a slightly younger player who is more raw and needs developing at a very cheap price to be a back up? Not an old player who you will be unable to shift when you realise that the drop in quality is too much.

We need a base level of our squad of physicality. Especially in full back areas. We cannot afford to shift the entire team around everytime someone gets injured because the player we bring in is nothing like the player who we take out.

I am not sure he would even want to be a back up to be honest. At his age, he could get good minutes at a Premier League club on good wages.

Tom349

Such a bitterly disappointing signing. I think Arsenal should play a game called “Would Leicester do that?” Every time Edu and Arteta get any bright ideas they should ponder if Leicester would it. If the answer is no. DON’T F@%KING DO IT!

Same Leicester that got Jonny Evans on a free transfer at 30 years of age and has played more minutes than any other outfield player at Leicester since he arrived? Same Leicester who signed 29 year old Christian Fuchs 6 years ago and gave him an extension 12 months ago?

Leicester have done some good to very good deals in the transfer market but its easy to look at the good ones and completely ignore the 14m they spent on a back GK who has been awful for them when he has played (Ward) or spent 35m of Ayoze who has scored 11 goals in 74 apperances or 27m on Iheanacho was scored more goals (10) in his last 10 games than he did in his previous 116 for the them.

If our standards are "what would Leicester do" then we are not going to improve to where we need to get to.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Willian, Leichsteiner, Mkhitaryan and Cedric. All fairly cheap short term transfers that have all been supposedly ‘good’ signings who end up being crap. What’s makes you think Betrand will buck that trend?

This is such an odd outlook that is based on blindly supporting the club's decisions no matter what the outcome.

Well who else could we buy?

That isn't our job. A billion pound business with the entire talent pool of world football, the attraction of being a Premier Leaue club cannot find a better deal than Bertrand? It is inexcusable.

Another old Chelsea boy looking for a payday. Sorry is he coming to us to win things? At the age of 32, if we got back into Europe he will be 33. There are no 33 year old full backs who can do what we need them to do. It just isn't physically possible. Tierney's position isn't based on excellent defending. Its literally physical intensity and drive. Why not buy a slightly younger player who is more raw and needs developing at a very cheap price to be a back up? Not an old player who you will be unable to shift when you realise that the drop in quality is too much.

We need a base level of our squad of physicality. Especially in full back areas. We cannot afford to shift the entire team around everytime someone gets injured because the player we bring in is nothing like the player who we take out.

I am not sure he would even want to be a back up to be honest. At his age, he could get good minutes at a Premier League club on good wages.

Like I said before, we arent in Europe next season. So in this instance Bertrand is a good signing. Tierney has played 3000 minutes this season I believe, you're talking as if Bertrand is physically ****e. He isnt, he's proven that in the PL over the past two seasons and beyond.

Nobody can suggest anyone else, it's pointless signing a random youngster as they probably wouldn't do as good of a job as Bertrand. They also won't want to develop knowing they won't be our starting left back for at least 10 years.

Look at Liverpool as an example, only just signed a backup left back and Bertrand is even better than him.

If you can't see the bigger picture with this then you're narrow minded. Bertrand for two years allows us to sign a young left back or bring one through the ranks to deputise for Tierney when he is 25/26 and we are hopefully back in the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom