• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olivier_Giroud

Keep seeing people post crap like this without giving any alternatives.
You are just trolling. There are plenty of alternatives to an OAP just like there are many alternatives to a LOW IQ Ex-Arsenal player pretending as a manager. These are indeed the bottom of the barrel types. You really think we cannot do better other than these creatures? If you believe that then you have the same level of IQ as Arteta... How can we do a rebuild and plan for long term when we are signing retirees?

Do I have to enumerate the numerous retirees that we have signed?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You are just trolling. There are plenty of alternatives to an OAP just like there are many alternatives to a LOW IQ Ex-Arsenal player pretending as a manager. These are indeed the bottom of the barrel types. You really think we cannot do better other than these creatures? If you believe that then you as much the same IQ as Arteta... How can we do a rebuild and plan for long term when we are signing retirees?

Do I have to enumerate the numerous retirees that we have signed?

Yeah but people like you are acting as if he's going to be our starting left back. And conveniently forgetting that Tierney is 23 years old. I'd rather signed an experienced defender than an 18 year old who you have no idea about.

Honestly it's completely nonsensical. Stop acting as if he's going to be our only signing and our starting left back. Blows my mind how stupid people are on here sometimes.

It's hilarious because if we were signing 18 year old from Tanzmania I'm sure you'd be all over it saying how the times have changed and what a great signing it is! When you dont have a ****ing clue how any kid is from other leagues are going to adapt here.

Olivier_Giroud

Yeah but people like you are acting as if he's going to be our starting left back. And conveniently forgetting that Tierney is 23 years old. I'd rather signed an experienced defender than an 18 year old who you have no idea about.

Honestly it's completely nonsensical. Stop acting as if he's going to be our only signing and our starting left back. Blows my mind how stupid people are on here sometimes.
So in your Arteta level vocabulary experience = retirees?

Yes indeed as you stated we are signing a back up for an injury prone starter and your solution to it is signing a retiree who already has numerous injuries throughout his career?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So in your Arteta level vocabulary experience = retirees?

Bertrand played 2500 minutes in the premier league this season and 2700 minutes last season. Is that a retiree? No, no it's not. Hes an experienced premier league left back who will be on call if Tierney needs a break. Its not difficult to figure out, who cares when we spend money elsewhere on quality first team starters.

Olivier_Giroud

Bertrand played 2500 minutes in the premier league this season and 2700 minutes last season. Is that a retiree? No, no it's not. Hes an experienced premier league left back who will be on call if Tierney needs a break. Its not difficult to figure out, who cares when we spend money elsewhere on quality first team starters.
My issue with regards to these signings is that we do not really have a good history regarding signing retirees, it is fine if we did but we don't. When will we ever learn that we suck and are unlucky when we sign these types?

Who cares? Have you forgotten that one of our biggest issue right now is that we suck at unloading deadwood and we tend to lose good money dealing with this?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
My issue with regards to these signings is that we do not really have a good history regarding signing retirees, it is fine if we did but we don't. When will we ever learn that we suck and are unlucky when we sign these types?

Who cares? Have you forgotten that one of our biggest issue right now is that we suck at unloading deadwood and we tend to lose good money dealing with this?

We've made two "retiree" signings under this regime. Willian who has failed and Cedric who has actually been good when called upon but for some reason is now completely out of favour.

There's nothing to say Bertrand will be a failure as backup to Tierney. Absolutely nothing.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Same Leicester that got Jonny Evans on a free transfer at 30 years of age and has played more minutes than any other outfield player at Leicester since he arrived? Same Leicester who signed 29 year old Christian Fuchs 6 years ago and gave him an extension 12 months ago?

Leicester have done some good to very good deals in the transfer market but its easy to look at the good ones and completely ignore the 14m they spent on a back GK who has been awful for them when he has played (Ward) or spent 35m of Ayoze who has scored 11 goals in 74 apperances or 27m on Iheanacho was scored more goals (10) in his last 10 games than he did in his previous 116 for the them.

If our standards are "what would Leicester do" then we are not going to improve to where we need to get to.
Fair enough. I like what you’ve said. Look no team has a 100% hit rate when it comes to transfers but obviously some clubs do it better than others. The reason why I say we should follow Leicester’s suit is because they are probably the closest team to us in terms of resources. Maybe you could add Liverpool too but they’ve obviously got a bit richer in recent years. We do not have the financial clout to keep doing short-term transfers like Betrand. Man City and Chelsea can but not us. As for Evans, he’s a CB, he does less running than Betrand so he can play well into his 30s. Some positions are different for others.

Tom349

Fair enough. I like what you’ve said. Look no team has a 100% hit rate when it comes to transfers but obviously some clubs do it better than others. The reason why I say we should follow Leicester’s suit is because they are probably the closest team to us in terms of resources. Maybe you could add Liverpool too but they’ve obviously got a bit richer in recent years. We do not have the financial clout to keep doing short-term transfers like Betrand. Man City and Chelsea can but not us. As for Evans, he’s a CB, he does less running than Betrand so he can play well into his 30s. Some positions are different for others.

I would argue we have lot more resources than Leicester but have wasted a lot of those since Alexis last season with us. Which some of that is due to the number of changes going on behind the scenes and there being no clear project, although despite what others think of Arteta I do personally can see the idea behind the way he and Edu are building. Don't get me wrong they **** up with Willian but the profile and age of him was never a concern for me given we lacked a player with his skillset and we our next youngest player who predominately plays on the wing is Pepe followed by Saka, ESR and Martinelli. The issue from that deal was Willian not producing and the length of contract, but I understood the desire for a player like him especially given the context of last transfer window. I think Bertand is no different but hopefully unlike Willian he has more left to offer and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't.

In saying that Bertand needs to be accompanied with another left back signing for the future, so that when his one or two year deal expires (can't be any longer), we have a contingency in place.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Also, i'm no expert, but it doesn't look like he's been playing at all well recently. His stats are very meh.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Bertrand on a free plus wages / Doig for approx 5m plus wages, is probably around the same financial expenditure. One is a player on the up, the other a player on the down. I really don't think it's rocket science.

One player is a complete unknown, one is a premier league starter with 2500+ minutes under his belt almost every single season.

Bertrand is actually the smart option in this instance and Doig is the risky signing.

Who would you rather play, say KT gets injured in the opening games, Doig comes in game week 4 for the next 5 games, or Bertrand comes in?

I'm always going for the seasoned PL guy.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
One player is a complete unknown, one is a premier league starter with 2500+ minutes under his belt almost every single season.

Bertrand is actually the smart option in this instance and Doig is the risky signing.

Who would you rather play, say KT gets injured in the opening games, Doig comes in game week 4 for the next 5 games, or Bertrand comes in?

I'm always going for the seasoned PL guy.

I literally posted his stats, he's not been good. You're basing your opinion on his general reputation, not on who he is now. He'll be 32 by next season, his best days are behind him.

And in answer to your question, I'd rather have Doig in that scenario. Personally I like a bit of excitement in my life, I'd wanna see what the kid could do.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm pro Bertrand, with the caveat that it's a 2 year deal.

Tierney is not far from a youngster himself, he's 23. He's a great LB but he's injury prone. You have to go into next season assuming he will miss significant game time for this reason.

Bertrand is ideal in this scenario. Good, reliable performer who won't need to adapt to the league and knows the role inside out.

Buy a kid and you're immediately putting pressure on an 18-19 year old with little experience to perform at a high level for maybe 1/3rd of a season due to KT's injuries.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I literally posted his stats, he's not been good. You're basing your opinion on his general reputation, not on who he is now. He'll be 32 by next season, his best days are behind him.

And in answer to your question, I'd rather have Doig in that scenario. Personally I like a bit of excitement in my life, I'd wanna see what the kid could do.

I assume you wanted Monreal gone by the time he hit your retirement home age range of 30-32.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'm pro Bertrand, with the caveat that it's a 2 year deal.

Tierney is not far from a youngster himself, he's 23. He's a great LB but he's injury prone. You have to go into next season assuming he will miss significant game time for this reason.

Bertrand is ideal in this scenario. Good, reliable performer who won't need to adapt to the league and knows the role inside out.

Buy a kid and you're immediately putting pressure on an 18-19 year old with little experience to perform at a high level for maybe 1/3rd of a season due to KT's injuries.

People conveniently forget this thinking they're playing FIFA or football manager. Throwing a 18 year old into this Arsenal team behind Tierney is huge. The kid may thrive off it, but it can quite easily kill his confidence. With Bertrand you don't have any problems, he's steady, nothing special, but as a backup you don't need anything special until you're back in the CL. For now, for our current level, its shrewd business.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
People conveniently forget this thinking they're playing FIFA or football manager. Throwing a 18 year old into this Arsenal team behind Tierney is huge. The kid may thrive off it, but it can quite easily kill his confidence. With Bertrand you don't have any problems, he's steady, nothing special, but as a backup you don't need anything special until you're back in the CL. For now, for our current level, its shrewd business.

Correct.

Even if the kid played well in KT's injury absence you reckon he'd be okay playing deputy to KT for the next decade? Nope. He'd be off looking for regular first team football in 2 years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom