• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

But how long would you want the Bertrand contract for? Its a lose lose. You sign him for 3 years and maybe you dont have to worry about a backup HG LB for that time but its not the longest. Well what if we sign him on a 1+1 or a 2 year deal? We are just delaying the inevitable. We could have been developing a decent back up player in the EL, cups, and occasionally in the PL in that time.

Arteta wants results so he doesn't get sacked (as does the Arsenal leadership), so developing some young cheap LB is not the best option. We have Tierney.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Monreal cost 10 million euros, and the year was 2013. That's ancient stuff basically. Football prices have skyrocketed.

Okay so you basically just complain, and have no good alternatives (I have a bit hard time believing Mitchell comes here as 2nd LB, and don't even know if he is as good as Bertrand.)
Yeah if me not being a football scout and having a database of names for you means I am a complainer then lets end it there. The fact is you can sign a decent profiled LB from Europe, you could sign a Rico Henry or that Championship LB mentioned earlier by someone for HG. You can sign Mitchell. I've given you a decent amount of names there considering I am not a leading European scout.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
But how long would you want the Bertrand contract for? Its a lose lose. You sign him for 3 years and maybe you dont have to worry about a backup HG LB for that time but its not the longest. Well what if we sign him on a 1+1 or a 2 year deal? We are just delaying the inevitable. We could have been developing a decent back up player in the EL, cups, and occasionally in the PL in that time.

Idk I guess ideally you get a cheap decent PL proven homegrown around 28 years old, but you'd be forgiven for not finding that in January. Bertrand will be 32 in the summer, so yeah 1+1 would be fine, 2 at a push, 3 year deal and i'd be very worried.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Arteta wants results so he doesn't get sacked (as does the Arsenal leadership), so developing some young cheap LB is not the best option. We have Tierney.
Can you name me a PL club who repeatedly sign players on their last deals for medium to long term contracts? I am intrigued to know. You look at well run clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea Leciester, Sp**s and are they doing it? No. It looks like Liverpool are so deperate to not do it it may effect their title push, why didnt they sign Sokratis or Mustafi ? lol

You do it once and I understand, you repeatedly do something like this and I question the strength and ability of our leadership.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Idk I guess ideally you get a cheap decent PL proven homegrown around 28 years old, but you'd be forgiven for not finding that in January. Bertrand will be 32 in the summer, so yeah 1+1 would be fine, 2 at a push, 3 year deal and i'd be very worried.
I agree, it depends on the length of the contract we offer. Just saying that even with a 1+ 1 we are just going for a short term and not very sustainable option. Ideally you don't want your back up LB permanently on 75k a week so whats gonna happen next time when his contract expires in 2 years? If you get what I mean.

drippin

Yeah if me not being a football scout and having a database of names for you means I am a complainer then lets end it there. The fact is you can sign a decent profiled LB from Europe, you could sign a Rico Henry or that Championship LB mentioned earlier by someone for HG. You can sign Mitchell. I've given you a decent amount of names there considering I am not a leading European scout.

Rico Henry is a HG LB, 23 years old, with 3 years in contract. He will cost at least something like 25 million as Brentford is trying for EPL. That's nowhere near 8 million.

Take Bertrand as an example. Well, he will cost something like 1 million for the loan like Cedric. Then some agent fees, maybe a couple million.

Then the wage will be like 70k per week. That's 10 million in 3 years. So let's say 14 million in total in 3 years.

Now Rico Henry will likely want similar wage (or more if he wastes his career as 2nd LB), so his cost will be something like 35 million or more.

This is big money on a backup player. We need strenghtening in other positions. I'm fine with what you suggest if we have City kind of money for backup players.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I think the difference with signing Bertrand compared to say a Cedric is that you're not really looking at Bertrand to come in and push KT for the starting spot in the way you'd want a back up pushing Bellerin ( Who's going to need upgrading himself soon)

We want a clear number 2 left back who can fill in when KT needs a breather / Cup games.

A 2+1 deal is fine with me. Playing 15 games a season I think Bertrand would be fine till 33/34.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Rico Henry is a HG LB, 23 years old, with 3 years in contract. He will cost at least something like 25 million as Brentford is trying for EPL. That's nowhere near 8 million.

Take Bertrand as an example. Well, he will cost something like 1 million for the loan like Cedric. Then some agent fees, maybe a couple million.

Then the wage will be like 70k per week. That's 10 million in 3 years. So let's say 14 million in total in 3 years.

Now Rico Henry will likely want similar wage (or more if he wastes his career as 2nd LB), so his cost will be something like 35 million or more.

This is big money on a backup player. We need strenghtening in other positions.
Jamal Lewis a proven PL LB went for £15m, I doubt Henry is that price unless they get promoted and dont budge. Sheffield signed Jadon Bogle AND Max Lowe for £11m from the Championship. Thats two talented full backs, Bogle being someone who was mentioned here quite a lot.

Anyway you are talking about cost of the entire contract including transfer fee but you are missing out potential value. An ageing player on 75k, you cant sell them unless you're really lucky. You can make a profit on a Championship player who comes in and impresses but cant knock KT off his perch.

And anyway this all within the alley way of you talking about HG players, something we dont have to necessarily do. As I said we are losing many non HG players this summer and may sell a few too. We have the possibility of the entire world of fullbacks too.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Jamal Lewis a proven PL LB went for £15m, I doubt Henry is that price unless they get promoted and dont budge. Sheffield signed Jadon Bogle AND Max Lowe for £11m from the Championship. Thats two talented full backs, Bogle being someone who was mentioned here quite a lot.

Anyway you are talking about cost of the entire contract including transfer fee but you are missing out potential value. An ageing player on 75k, you cant sell them unless you're really lucky. You can make a profit on a Championship player who comes in and impresses but cant knock KT off his perch.

And anyway this all within the alley way of you talking about HG players, something we dont have to necessarily do. As I said we are losing many non HG players this summer and may sell a few too. We have the possibility of the entire world of fullbacks too.

Lee Buchanan at Derby is young and the club is broke. Omar Richards too.

Would fit your profile.

drippin

Good point with Lewis, although not sure how he compares to Henry.

I understand your points, but these things have so many variables that are unknown to fans.

For example Lewis went to be starter. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have agreed to become a 2nd LB for someone like Tierney.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Good point with Lewis, although not sure how he compares to Henry.

I understand your points, but these things have so many variables that are unknown to fans.

For example Lewis went to be starter. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have agreed to become a 2nd LB.
You can certainly sign a championship player who doesnt mind being an understudy, of course not all of them. I doubt Sessegnon signed for Sp**s knowing hes gonna be a starter.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
@drippin I do get your point, it is the case I made for Cedric and even Willian after I slightly warmed to the idea of signing him (wrong decision). But my case is that how sustainable is it to repeatedly have this is a tactic for signings? Back up RB back up LB, winger, who else? I know for a fact other clubs dont do it all, nevermind once every window.

drippin

@drippin I do get your point, it is the case I made for Cedric and even Willian after I slightly warmed to the idea of signing him (wrong decision). But my case is that how sustainable is it to repeatedly have this is a tactic for signings? Back up RB back up LB, winger, who else? I know for a fact other clubs dont do it all, nevermind once every window.

Yeah, I actually realized that the difference in fees is not that big. I thought it would be bigger, but Lewis for example was a great point (he had 3 years in contract also).

So I'll adjust and say, no way a 3 year deal. 1-2 years (or just the 6 months loan) if there is no sensible other option available for decent sum.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Don't mind this deal providing he's not on anything longer than a 2 year deal.
Homegrown with plenty of experience in the league. Would feel confident that he could come in and do a job when Tierney needs a break particularly with the amount of short gaps in between fixtures coming up.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, I actually realized that the difference in fees is not that big. I thought it would be bigger, but Lewis for example was a great point (he had 3 years in contract also).

So I'll adjust and say, no way a 3 year deal. 1-2 years (or just the 6 months loan) if there is no sensible other option available for decent sum.
Yep I agree, its not gonna be the end of the world even if we offer a 3 year deal. It will just be concerning about the management of our club to an extent.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I don't get the idea of bringing in a young LB. Tierney is going to be our starting left back for the best part of a decade if all goes to plan. Let's go for the already fully formed back up we can rely on now, not a project player we need to develop who'll probably want to move on in 2-3 years anyway.

If you've got a young starting LB you want an older deputy.

If you've got an older starting LB you want a younger deputy.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I don't get the idea of bringing in a young LB. Tierney is going to be our starting left back for the best part of a decade if all goes to plan. Let's go for the already fully formed back up we can rely on now, not a project player we need to develop who'll probably want to move on in 2-3 years anyway.

If you've got a young starting LB you want an older deputy.

If you've got an older starting LB you want a younger deputy.
There's young then there's 28 :lol:, Bertrand will be 32 next season

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Cech, Lichtsteiner, Cedric, Kola and Willian should be warning calls, if I'm being honest.

I'm not against it being a 1+1 contract, here. Any more and you have to give him some low-ish wages to make sure you can shift him on if need be.

We need to be smarter with these free agent transfers, like we were with Lich.

Would rather give them a larger signing on fee, tbh.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Can you name me a PL club who repeatedly sign players on their last deals for medium to long term contracts? I am intrigued to know. You look at well run clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea Leciester, Sp**s and are they doing it? No. It looks like Liverpool are so deperate to not do it it may effect their title push, why didnt they sign Sokratis or Mustafi ? lol

You do it once and I understand, you repeatedly do something like this and I question the strength and ability of our leadership.
Thiago Silva and Cavani? Milner. That's withoiyt even thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom