• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Fraser

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Abit of snobbery going on in this thread. We are not exactly willing to spend 200m in one window are we.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Many of the best players in the Premier League (Aubameyang, Salah, Hazard, de Bruyne, etc.) once toiled at mid-table clubs or, worse yet, clubs in smaller leagues such as Switzerland and Belgium. All some players need is an opportunity. The important thing isn't the club where the player plays, but the player himself. I would think a guy who has shone brightly for a mid-table Premier League club would be a fairly safe bet.

Reactions: Jae

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
That's definitely the main risk with signings like this, you never know how these guys will do. Mane was a bit younger when he was doing well at Southampton, so you felt there was still some potential there. Even a guy like Mahrez who was POTY struggled to make the jump, whereas Danny Drinkwater has fallen off completely.

Best case scenario would be Fraser ending up as a solid squad player like Lallana, who was a similar age when he joined Liverpol.

Yeah honestly I agree with your best case scenario, I just don't see potential for anything more. As squad depth for a reasonable price it would be good, but if he's the only winger we'll get I'll not be happy with that tbh.

Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Surely a better case scenario would be Fraser taking it up another notch and becoming a world class winger for Arsenal? :lol:

Best case scenario isn't him becoming a good squad player. ;)
I think realistically it's the best we can hope for. I'm actually fine with this signing as a squad player, but expecting him to get close to WC level is a big ask imo. Maybe if he was a few years younger like Mane when he moved, but at 25 I don't know that he'll improve dramatically from his current level.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I think realistically it's the best we can hope for. I'm actually fine with this signing as a squad player, but expecting him to get close to WC level is a big ask imo. Maybe if he was a few years younger like Mane when he moved, but at 25 I don't know that he'll improve dramatically from his current level.

I do completely agree with you, but was just mocking your best case scenario statement since he could become better than Messi for all we know o_O

I think he has a higher ceiling than a decent squad player for us possibly. Again for me though, this transfer relies on what else happens. I doubt we can afford a WC winger and CB so if we bring in Fraser plus a top CB I'd be very happy.

Wouldn't want it vice versa though, want a class CB over class winger. Fraser and Nelson may help that plug. Guess we don't know what funds we have to spend.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

I don't think we should automatically just put players in a box based on their age and their club. He's only just turned 25 about six weeks ago. At this very point in Didier Drogba's career, he was playing for Guingamp and as a 24-year-old the previous summer had only three Ligue 1 goals behind him. Les Ferdinand didn't really break through at QPR until he was 26, but went on to become one of the greatest goal scorers in Premier League history. Luca Toni, one of the best Italian players of recent years, toiled in the lower divisions for years and didn't make his Serie A debut until age 28. So Fraser is way ahead of those guys and many other top players at this point.

Then, of course, there was a guy named Ian Wright, who at the age of 22 had failed in trials at Brighton and Southend and was playing non-league football for Greenwich Borough. He was 26 before he played in the Premier League; 28 when he moved to Arsenal, where, as you know, he became the club's all-time top scorer for awhile.

I would also argue that not every player, even in the starting lineup, has to be world class. I suppose the term world class is thrown around far too easily these days, but for me even Manchester City has only a handful who would qualify. If Ryan Fraser can come to Arsenal and do a solid job on the wing, work hard, be consistent, provide a threat, score a few goals, help his teammates score a few more, do the defensive work and help to contribute to the spirit and attitude of the team, that's enough. These are exactly the types of signings that have made Arsenal successful through the years.

I suppose the transfer market has been skewed in recent years by hype and money, but sometimes you just need some players who can do a job.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I would also argue that not every player, even in the starting lineup, has to be world class. I suppose the term world class is thrown around far too easily these days, but for me even Manchester City has only a handful who would qualify. If Ryan Fraser can come to Arsenal and do a solid job on the wing, work hard, be consistent, provide a threat, score a few goals, help his teammates score a few more, do the defensive work and help to contribute to the spirit and attitude of the team, that's enough. These are exactly the types of signings that have made Arsenal successful through the years.

I suppose the transfer market has been skewed in recent years by hype and money, but sometimes you just need some players who can do a job.
None of this is at odds with anything I've said in this thread.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Mane was 24 when he went to Pool, hardly a massive difference.
Mane is a way bigger talent though. basically the same amount of goals in his first two seasons in PL than fraiser has in his entire career.

Last edited:

Dj_sds -

Sane is a way bigger talent though. basically the same amount of goals in his first two seasons in PL than fraiser has in his entire career.

He plays for city tho, so more chances for end product. The fact he plays for bournemouth makes it impressive. That being said, it doesnt mean he would automatically replicate this at arsenal.

Last edited:

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
He plays for city tho, so more chances for end product. The fact he plays for bournemouth makes it impressive. That being said, it doesnt mean he would automatically replicate this in arsenal.
Meant Mane. Gotta edit that !

Tiresome stuff from some of you. Calling people snobs, comparing Fraser to players who at 20/21 were rated amongst the elite of their age group.

Never saw one post on here rating Fraser before we were linked with him.

We just have to stay positive mate. If we say it often enough I'm sure Denise Suarez and Fraiser will be world class next season!

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Tiresome stuff from some of you. Calling people snobs, comparing Fraser to players who at 20/21 were rated amongst the elite of their age group.

People trying to act like him being from a midtable club is the reason some aren’t keen on him is just laughable, when no one has said that.. Lots of players at non top 6 clubs I think would be great(and even better) for a bigger club, Fraser is not one of them.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mane was 24 when he went to Pool, hardly a massive difference.

Remember too, United were linked with him the year before and their fans were pretty underwhelmed at the possibility of signing him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Because nobody watch Bournemouth i guess

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover

there were actually some posters even quoting themselves about wanting Fraser, actual evidence.

cool off a bit man

Jae

The issue, and people will never admit to this, is that we want the Sane's and the Mane's of the world but we always want the "finished article" (which we don't have the means to buy).

We're never willing to take a punt on anyone who shows potential, usual because it isn't a "sexy" signing. Think of how many times have we have missed out on players that have turned out to be fantastic because we didn't think they were good enough for us? Or because we've haggled over a few million quid?

People were turning their noses up at Lacazette and Aubmeyang before we signed them.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom