• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Fraser

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Would be interested to know what your current feelings in regard to where we are heading are, also in context to other clubs and the general situation imposed by the corona virus.

Guess I don't have to mention that your oppinion is generally more appreciated than other ones on here, since you tend to have a more well-rounded view on things - no agenda full of pessimism neither a too bloomy one...

Feel like we at least share a generally more optimistic view in regard to our situatiom under Arteta and the bunch of promising youngsters (if there were we resign, like Saka :rolleyes:)

Personally think people overestimate what other clubs will be able to invest. Doesn't seem like we are the odd one there.
The market's gonna be severely hampered, and a lot of clubs are either gonna have to bargain hunt or make do with what they have - us included. I think only teams like City will be able to operate at a level close to before.

With us, I think we're in a pretty decent position as we have an improving academy and young players we can give chances to who I believe will impress beyond what people think - although I think there are issues with how the first team squad is currently constructed in terms of profile (specifically power, speed and dribbling), the youngsters seem to be gaining some combo of the above in spades.

I think the onus is on us to be clever and look for signings outside of the status quo like we are wont to do. Specifically in areas like CM, we could potentially pick up a Sangare for cheap - he's not perfect but he addresses real weaknesses in the midfield in terms of duel-winning and power/athleticism. It allows us time to develop guys like Willock, and later Azeez & Smith aswell. CM and RB are the two positions I think are quite weak, and we can sign someone like Jayden Bogle from the Championship for cheap. For CB, I don't think it's as dire as before with Saliba coming in but we could still do some smart business. I've seen that Malang Sarr is free, he might be a decent signing.

There are options IMO and we're ably backed up by the fact that we have an underrated academy that could sustain us in this difficult time. Indeed, the football they've played this season will help them.

RE Fraser - I'm not sure he solves any real problems we have which is why I don't really look at him as a viable option, free or otherwise, when we have players who may not be as experienced but have a higher upside and could be on the cusp of a real explosion. Our big problem is CM.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Imagine actually thinking players would actually reject us to play for a washed up manager and a perennial loser than this gargantuan institution. Scenes.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The market's gonna be severely hampered, and a lot of clubs are either gonna have to bargain hunt or make do with what they have - us included. I think only teams like City will be able to operate at a level close to before.

With us, I think we're in a pretty decent position as we have an improving academy and young players we can give chances to who I believe will impress beyond what people think - although I think there are issues with how the first team squad is currently constructed in terms of profile (specifically power, speed and dribbling), the youngsters seem to be gaining some combo of the above in spades.

I think the onus is on us to be clever and look for signings outside of the status quo like we are wont to do. Specifically in areas like CM, we could potentially pick up a Sangare for cheap - he's not perfect but he addresses real weaknesses in the midfield in terms of duel-winning and power/athleticism. It allows us time to develop guys like Willock, and later Azeez & Smith aswell. CM and RB are the two positions I think are quite weak, and we can sign someone like Jayden Bogle from the Championship for cheap. For CB, I don't think it's as dire as before with Saliba coming in but we could still do some smart business. I've seen that Malang Sarr is free, he might be a decent signing.

There are options IMO and we're ably backed up by the fact that we have an underrated academy that could sustain us in this difficult time. Indeed, the football they've played this season will help them.

RE Fraser - I'm not sure he solves any real problems we have which is why I don't really look at him as a viable option, free or otherwise, when we have players who may not be as experienced but have a higher upside and could be on the cusp of a real explosion. Our big problem is CM.

"The markets going to be hampered".

Ok so if the transfer situation is going to be hampered how?

If clubs will have less money to spend then that will drive the price of players down. So it wont have the same impact. Clubs will still make transfers. Especially our rivals.

City and Liverpool could sign no one and still be way ahead of us.

Chelsea are ahead of us having a transfer ban. They have a group of young players coming through much better than we have.

Man United will have money to spend. Now if you think the market will be hampered if theres one team who can take advantage of this its them.

Leciester squad is pretty decent already. And they will do what they always do. Scout a couple of 10-15m players who will turn out to be quite good.

Wolves also have a few quid and have a good team.

So regardless of the market there will be clubs doing more than us. Just like always. We will be at a disadvantage because of this because arguably we need more reinforcements than those teams above us bar Sp**s. We are also the team who is at risk of losing good players for less money due to the prices being a little bit lower.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
"The markets going to be hampered".

Ok so if the transfer situation is going to be hampered how?

If clubs will have less money to spend then that will drive the price of players down. So it wont have the same impact. Clubs will still make transfers. Especially our rivals.

City and Liverpool could sign no one and still be way ahead of us.

Chelsea are ahead of us having a transfer ban. They have a group of young players coming through much better than we have.

Man United will have money to spend. Now if you think the market will be hampered if theres one team who can take advantage of this its them.

Leciester squad is pretty decent already. And they will do what they always do. Scout a couple of 10-15m players who will turn out to be quite good.

Wolves also have a few quid and have a good team.

So regardless of the market there will be clubs doing more than us. Just like always. We will be at a disadvantage because of this because arguably we need more reinforcements than those teams above us bar Sp**s. We are also the team who is at risk of losing good players for less money due to the prices being a little bit lower.
I have more faith in our younger players than you do to be fair. And I do think that with our propensity to adhere to this "self-sustaining" model we use currently, we'd still be at a disadvantage - unless the club is bluffing and not showing their hand. But then it raises concerns as the players might be disillusioned at having to take this giant paycut while the clubs spending millions on players. Doesn't set a good precedent.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I'm cool with this, I didn't want him. Would rather play the youngsters.

Would be interested to know what your current feelings in regard to where we are heading are, also in context to other clubs and the general situation imposed by the corona virus.

Guess I don't have to mention that your oppinion is generally more appreciated than other ones on here, since you tend to have a more well-rounded view on things - no agenda full of pessimism neither a too bloomy one...

Feel like we at least share a generally more optimistic view in regard to our situatiom under Arteta and the bunch of promising youngsters (if there were we resign, like Saka :rolleyes:)

Personally think people overestimate what other clubs will be able to invest. Doesn't seem like we are the odd one there.

Completely agree with this and I also have a clear priority on CM first, RB second, a CB third, if it actually improves us, since I think Luiz looks pretty good since Arteta has come in and I said, I'd judge people from there on, so ..

Maybe an attacking midfielder/striker after that, but it has to make sense and actually be a clear upgrade/improvement. Hard to find with little money..

I am a huge believer in our youngsters and I think there's nothing better for the given situation with corona virus as to have a strong academy lined up.
Guess we've got just that at the best time possible.

I'm mostly concerned about having Saka and the real talents coming up and then being lost due to our aweful contract situations. We cannot lay a foundation built on youth and then just lose them like that again.

One thing I don't really get right now - we have seen how City's financial cheating has finally got its reward (granted, waaaay too late), I don't think newcastle and city can just splash arbitrary money now as people on here seem to claim, especially with all clubs having their turnover cut short.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Completely agree with this and I also have a clear priority on CM first, RB second, a CB third, if it actually improves us, since I think Luiz looks pretty good since Arteta has come in and I said, I'd judge people from there on, so ..

Maybe an attacking midfielder/striker after that, but it has to make sense and actually be a clear upgrade/improvement. Hard to find with little money..

Agree with that order of importance. CM, RB then CB. RB is particularly weak. We only have Bellerin realistically. CM just needs a reshuffle in terms of profile.

AM is also a good shout - although I think we could solve that in-house potentially. Striker we don't need anyone unless both Auba and Laca leave.

I am a huge believer in our youngsters and I think there's nothing better for the given situation with corona virus as to have a strong academy lined up.
Guess we've got just that at the best time possible.

I'm mostly concerned about having Saka and the real talents coming up and then being lost due to our aweful contract situations. We cannot lay a foundation built on youth and then just lose them like that again.

Agree with all of this. We need to be careful with the youngsters and start tying them to better and stronger deals early on like we did with Miguel Azeez. We are in a good position in terms of being able to give them opportunities and I firmly believe we can succeed if we use the academy well. I have great faith in Arteta's ability to get the best out of the squad and if we can shift the profile of the team towards the youngsters we have built up and the better experienced players at our disposal, we will surprise people IMO.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I have more faith in our younger players than you do to be fair. And I do think that with our propensity to adhere to this "self-sustaining" model we use currently, we'd still be at a disadvantage - unless the club is bluffing and not showing their hand. But then it raises concerns as the players might be disillusioned at having to take this giant paycut while the clubs spending millions on players. Doesn't set a good precedent.

Faith in comparison to Chelsea's? Or just faith in general?

Are youngster are miles away. Years.

Willock, Martinelli, Saka, ESR, Nelson.

That's our golden crop.

Nelson has showed nothing this season. Martinelli little glimpse, Willock nothing, ESR nothing as on loan. Doing well but its championship. Saka has looked good but doesnt look interested in signing and committing.

Chelsea have Tomori, James, Mount, Abraham, Hudson Odoi. Some of them havent hit the heights but Mount and Abraham have. James is excellent too.

Our young players wont hit a decent level for 2-3 years. And by the time they do where will we be and where will they be? We are a selling club when it comes to decent players.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

That's our golden crop.

Nelson has showed nothing this season. Martinelli little glimpse, Willock nothing, ESR nothing as on loan. Doing well but its championship. Saka has looked good but doesnt look interested in signing and committing.

Chelsea have Tomori, James, Mount, Abraham, Hudson Odoi. Some of them havent hit the heights but Mount and Abraham have. James is excellent too.

Our young players wont hit a decent level for 2-3 years. And by the time they do where will we be and where will they be? We are a selling club when it comes to decent players.
ok mate

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

That's our golden crop.

You're kind of right, but the difference is that Chelsea youngsters have had opportunity.

Saka is the only youngster who has had a consistent run in the first team as a starter. Willocks and Guendouzi did at the start of the season and looked decent, form dropped off though naturally. ESR barely featured. Nelson has looked a little lost, but both Emery and Arteta seem to rate him. Martinelli has looked brilliant when given a chance, but was strangely dropped when hitting form.

I strangely have faith that Salibah, Saka, Guendouzi and Martinelli are ready to contribute consistently right now.

Willock, Nelson, ESR and Nketiah all possibly need more time or a loan to a good level club.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Pepe was that good only Napoli were competing against us for him. That tells you something.

If Salah was that good, why was Liverpool the only team in for him?

If Fernandez was that good, why was Utd the only team in for him?

I could go on and on

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
It would be an odd move for Fraser though. Son and Moura are both a lot better than him. He'll fancy his chances with Bergwiin I suppose.

He'd be like a broke man's Bale for them and fit in with their high energy attack.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It would be an odd move for Fraser though. Son and Moura are both a lot better than him. He'll fancy his chances with Bergwiin I suppose.

He'd be like a broke man's Bale for them and fit in with their high energy attack.
Mourinho is probably a big pull still, and his high energy, put in a shift type style might work more with Jose.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Maybe we were only pretending to be interesting so Jose would getting jealous and sign this bum for himself. Daddy Raul has done it again hasn't he?

Latest posts

Top Bottom