• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sébastien Frey

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzG

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,31-1119522,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 22,00.html</a>

10-12mill euro = ~ £6.9 - £8.2mill.

I'm suprised we would spend that kind of money on him, isn't that Cech suppose to be better, we could get him for around that much as well.

Mark

Established Member
yeah jens is a short term solution, and it seems wenger doesn't feel taylor and stack are ready yet although i really didn't think we'd be buying a new keeper now. he's a good keeper and i hope we get him.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i'd be surprised if we signed him. Chelsea have been actively seeking a keeper more than we have and since their move for cech has fallen through, i'd expect them to get frey whose club will be a lot more willing to sell. i cant see frey signing for us now whilst jens is still in goal, wenegr wouldnt do that to a player.

Andrew

We're not getting him, nor are we getting anyone else.

I would understand if Chelsea bought him. Cudicini has cost them a few goals this season.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
i cant see frey signing for us now whilst jens is still in goal, wenegr wouldnt do that to a player.

That is probably true, I don't think Wenger is the type of man to dump a player out like that. Sometimes I wish he would but in Lehmann's case it would be abit unfair.

I think he will bring someone in during the summer though.

Arjan

Is buying him and then loaning him back untill the end of the season not a good option for both? Or is that not allowed.

Sammer

Established Member
Come on guys - Frey will NOT come to Arsenal.

Jens has done well - only 14 goals conceded so far (vs. 20 last season at that time).

Plus: we have Taylor, Stack and Ramii (who now is on loan) waiting.

If we´d talk 2years from now, when Jens retires, It´ll make sense - but not now!

JazzG

Established Member
Arjan said:
Is buying him and then loaning him back untill the end of the season not a good option for both? Or is that not allowed.

It is allowed but it doesn't seem like Wenger likes doing this otherwise he would of done the same for Yaya :?

Sammer, Jens is doing well no doubt about it. However he is quite old and was only bought in as a short term option.

Jinn

Established Member
It really depends how short you mean by 'short-term'.

It wouldn't be like Wenger to buy another goalkeeper so soon after signing Jens. It's just not fair on either player. And it wouldn't be good for Jens' bid to play in Euro 2004.

I think Jens will stay until he retires, which could mean he'll have another 3 seasons in him.

JazzG

Established Member
I hope not tbh.

Really think we need to look at getting the age of our squad down. Wenger has bought the age of the defense down with Toure and Cole. We need to look at the long term and not short term.

Also we don't wanna be in the same situation as we were with Seaman. Coz of him we missed out on quite a few top goalkeepers like Carini and Cech.

Jinn

Established Member
Agreed, but at best I think we're looking at a summer signing then. And that's at the absolute best.

More likely a summer signing in 2005.

jc8gooner

Goalkeepers reach their peak in their thirties. Lehman is what, 33 or 32? At that age Seaman was one of the best keepers in the world at Euro 96.
I think we will have Lehmann for a good while, maybe 2 or 3 seasons after this one. He is not a bad keeper, we do nt desperately need a keeper. The priorities to improve our squad in the summer and beyond are a striker (or maybe 2), a central defender and a creative midfielder. Even those last two might not be deemed necessary.

In conclusion, I don't think there is any real need to worry about the goalkeeping situation. Lehmann, Taylor, Shaaban and Stack are all capable. Frey and Cech are expensive and unnecessary, in my humble opinion.

A.Hussain

yeah frey is not likely to come to arsenal. however i wouldnt rule out a new striker in the summer, if either of bergy, kanu or wiltord leave

Sammer

Established Member
Plus: if you want to get a substantially better keeper than Lehmann, you are talking:

Buffon, Toldo...all of them unaffordable..

JazzG

Established Member
Lehmann is 34, we need to look at younger keeper who we can keep for at least 5 or 6 years, that isn't the case with Jens.

I hear Cech and Frey are both better than Jens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom