• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sébastien Frey

Status
Not open for further replies.

asajoseph

Established Member
Re: Sebastien Frey

Whereas Schwarzer has been beating off the European Elite for the last 15 years?

I personally think Given is a bit overrated - but he's still a lot better than Schwarzer, and obviously Average Al as well.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member

SA Gunner said:
darthwenger said:
Frey over Schwarzer everytime - no wonder Schwarzer wants to come here, I bet he cannot believe his luck at the grand old age of 37.

One of Wengers downfall's - doesn't know a good keeper even if he came up and smacked him in the face.

Wenger might just pay that 4.5 Fulham wants. A smack in our faces really, especially since Shay Given could have been brought in for 6.

Every player could have been bought for under five million at some point of time in his s career.

When Given was available at six million, we did not need him. From the season when Lehmann left, he was always someone who would cost close to 15 million. That being said, I do not deny that not bringing him was not a mistake.

But, he wasn't a player available for cheap in recent years.

Sover

asajoseph said:
Whereas Schwarzer has been beating off the European Elite for the last 15 years?

I personally think Given is a bit overrated - but he's still a lot better than Schwarzer, and obviously Average Al as well.

A bit overrated? :lol:

He chose to leave a shot in the Manchester derby that went in.
He made a challenge on Evra in the Ireland - France play-off that was identical to Al bringing down Rooney at OT.
He has no control over his defence at corners and lets defenders wander out of position.

If any of our keepers had made any of those errors the press would have crucified them.

There are plenty more examples just from last season so why would we want a keeper who cost his team so many points that they failed to reach the champions league?

My reservations with Schwarzer are more that he has past his peak and is not that much better than what we have. I just think we should be aiming higher.

IMO

Apologies for taking the Frey thread off topic.

And Frey gets a thumbs up :D

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

Sover said:
Armor for Sleep said:
Schwarzer over Given? :lol:

Absolutely - there is good reason none of the big clubs have ever been interested in Given. A good shot stopper and little else - don't be taken in by the press hype, he is ordinary at best and a liability at worst. His errors last season certainly cost City a place in the champions league.
i'm not taken by the hype, i've seen given play week in week out. i think he's a far better keeper than schwarzer who at most will only improve us slightly.

best thing about this move is that we should have plenty of money left to buy 2 good players

ricky1985

Established Member

I agree with Sover - I think Shay Given is nothing more than a shot stopper. Crazily overrated.

Schwarzer does the things that are not easily noticeable (or as glorified) so much better than Given. Given, though, is a far superior shot stopper, but, that's just one small aspect of goalkeeping.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

Sover said:
asajoseph said:

A bit overrated? :lol:

He chose to leave a shot in the Manchester derby that went in.
He made a challenge on Evra in the Ireland - France play-off that was identical to Al bringing down Rooney at OT.
He has no control over his defence at corners and lets defenders wander out of position.

If any of our keepers had made any of those errors the press would have crucified them.

There are plenty more examples just from last season so why would we want a keeper who cost his team so many points that they failed to reach the champions league?

My reservations with Schwarzer are more that he has past his peak and is not that much better than what we have. I just think we should be aiming higher.

IMO

Apologies for taking the Frey thread off topic.

And Frey gets a thumbs up :D

Think you're serious underestimating Given as a keeper. Is he dominent in the box? Not as much as I'd like but to say he cost City 'so many points' is complete bullshit...

Premier League keeper of season:
2001–02, 2005–06

Mancini: "one of the five best goalkeepers in the world"
Trappotini believes he's just behind Buffon. Hughes said similar. Newcastle and City fans by and large love the guy while for Ireland he has been immense.

Jesus, I'd kill to have him here. Frey too. But both are unlikely

Abs

Established Member

Sover said:
Armor for Sleep said:
Schwarzer over Given? :lol:

Absolutely - there is good reason none of the big clubs have ever been interested in Given. A good shot stopper and little else - don't be taken in by the press hype, he is ordinary at best and a liability at worst. His errors last season certainly cost City a place in the champions league.

I agree with this, Given is very overatted as a keeper. He has great reflexes and not much more.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member

Thing with Given is that he's average at other things but brilliant as a shot stopper and a very consistent one at that.

Overall, he ended up saving more points for City than what what he cost. (with their pathetic defense, there are some matches that Given won them on his own) Something he'd do at Newcastle too.

Nobody can deny that we'd be some 10-12 points better off last season if we had Given keeping our goals instead of our clowns. Incidentally, that was the difference between us and the top two.

Abs

Established Member

Iloveyouarsenewenger said:
Thing with Given is that he's average at other things but brilliant as a shot stopper and a very consistent one at that.

Overall, he ended up saving more points for City than what what he cost. (with their pathetic defense, there are some matches that Given won them on his own) Something he'd do at Newcastle too.

Nobody can deny that we'd be some 10-12 points better off last season if we had Given keeping our goals instead of our clowns. Incidentally, that was the difference between us and the top two.

I dont know, a keeper like Given cost you more point thats obvious to the naked eye. There are alot of situations he can deal with before they develop, but because he's not commanding in his area, once a ball comes in the penalty area and he doesnt deal with it, and there's a goal after a scramble between the defenders and strikers, he doesnt get any blame as people usually remember the last person that dealt with the ball before it was scored.

Sover

irishgunnerz said:
Mancini: "one of the five best goalkeepers in the world"
Trappotini believes he's just behind Buffon. Hughes said similar. Newcastle and City fans by and large love the guy while for Ireland he has been immense.

Jesus, I'd kill to have him here. Frey too. But both are unlikely

Not really that surprising that he was highly praised by his own managers is it?

AW on Almunia
"I think we have two world-class goalkeepers, Fabianski and him."

Doesn't make it true.

Given was maybe not so immense for Ireland when they drew 2-2 with Italy as the first italian goal in that game was his fault too.

I'll pin my hopes on Frey

ricky1985

Established Member

Lord Dula said:
Neither are good enough tricks

we need to get someone in their mid twenties
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Schwarzer is a good enough goalkeeper to be our Number 1 - I'm just saying in my opinion there's not a great deal of difference between him and Given.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot

It is looking more and more like the Arsenal transfer rumours linking Mark Schwarzer with a move to the Emirates is nothing more than a smokescreen for their true target.

Very early in this transfer window, Arsène Wenger was connected with a move for the Fiorentina keeper, and Frey himself admitted that he thought it was time for him to move on. He said: “I have spoken to (Fiorentina president Diego) Della Valle.

“I will speak again with him after the holidays.

“In life, at times, you need new challenges and I cannot hide the fact that I need that.”

Well now it has been revealed by Sky Sports that Fiorentina have signed Artur Boruc from Celtic, which has obviously paved the way for Frey to get his wish to move on. He is 6ft 3in, and is an occasional French international player, which only increases the chances of Wenger wanting to bring him to Arsenal.

Meanwhile, Sky Sports have also spoken to the Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer, who has told them that the rumours of him taking a medical at Arsenal are totally untrue, so are we soon going to be hearing a lot more about Frey?

Link

Hmmm.... :roll:

CandysRoom

Established Member

However it works out... I ****ing loves the transfer window. Makes my very soul tingle in ways my missus never will be able to make me :)

True Gooner

Established Member

Knowing us,

It is looking more and more like the Arsenal transfer rumours linking Sebastien Frey with a move to the Emirates is nothing more than a smokescreen for their true target - Mark Schwarzer.

entropy13

Established Member

True Gooner said:
Knowing us,

It is looking more and more like the Arsenal transfer rumours linking Sebastien Frey with a move to the Emirates is nothing more than a smokescreen for their true target - Mark Schwarzer.

Eh? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around, since the most obvious is usually not the true target.

True Gooner

Established Member

I'll admit, I didn't think it through.

Apart from the media putting 2+2 together, is there any reason to believe we're in for Frey? Would make it a superb window if this worked out.

Godsend_Gooner

Exactly, more than the media I think most of us are putting 2+2 together. He could be a potential target for many other clubs as well.

There have been no links at all. I doubt a player of Frey's calibre and reputation would have selected/negotiated with a club without the media having slightest of a hint.

Wenger needs to make his plans for the goalkeeping position clear in the coming days. We dont want to start with either of those clowns in goal come the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom