Sébastien Frey

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by JazzG, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asajoseph

asajoseph New Member Elite

Re: Sebastien Frey

Whereas Schwarzer has been beating off the European Elite for the last 15 years?

I personally think Given is a bit overrated - but he's still a lot better than Schwarzer, and obviously Average Al as well.

2. Re: Sebastien Frey

Every player could have been bought for under five million at some point of time in his s career.

When Given was available at six million, we did not need him. From the season when Lehmann left, he was always someone who would cost close to 15 million. That being said, I do not deny that not bringing him was not a mistake.

But, he wasn't a player available for cheap in recent years.

3. Sover

Sover New Member

A bit overrated? :lol:

He chose to leave a shot in the Manchester derby that went in.
    He made a challenge on Evra in the Ireland - France play-off that was identical to Al bringing down Rooney at OT.
    He has no control over his defence at corners and lets defenders wander out of position.

If any of our keepers had made any of those errors the press would have crucified them.

There are plenty more examples just from last season so why would we want a keeper who cost his team so many points that they failed to reach the champions league?

My reservations with Schwarzer are more that he has past his peak and is not that much better than what we have. I just think we should be aiming higher.

IMO

Apologies for taking the Frey thread off topic.

And Frey gets a thumbs up :D

4. Armor for Sleep

Armor for Sleep New Member Elite

i'm not taken by the hype, i've seen given play week in week out. i think he's a far better keeper than schwarzer who at most will only improve us slightly.

best thing about this move is that we should have plenty of money left to buy 2 good players

5. ricky1985

ricky1985 Active Member Elite

I agree with Sover - I think Shay Given is nothing more than a shot stopper. Crazily overrated.

Schwarzer does the things that are not easily noticeable (or as glorified) so much better than Given. Given, though, is a far superior shot stopper, but, that's just one small aspect of goalkeeping.

6. Lord Dula

Lord Dula New Member Elite

Neither are good enough tricks

we need to get someone in their mid twenties

7. irishgunnerz

irishgunnerz Moderator Moderator

Think you're serious underestimating Given as a keeper. Is he dominent in the box? Not as much as I'd like but to say he cost City 'so many points' is complete bullshit...

Premier League keeper of season:
    2001–02, 2005–06

Mancini: "one of the five best goalkeepers in the world"
    Trappotini believes he's just behind Buffon. Hughes said similar. Newcastle and City fans by and large love the guy while for Ireland he has been immense.

Jesus, I'd kill to have him here. Frey too. But both are unlikely

8. Abs

Abs New Member

I agree with this, Given is very overatted as a keeper. He has great reflexes and not much more.

9. Re: Sebastien Frey

Thing with Given is that he's average at other things but brilliant as a shot stopper and a very consistent one at that.

Overall, he ended up saving more points for City than what what he cost. (with their pathetic defense, there are some matches that Given won them on his own) Something he'd do at Newcastle too.

Nobody can deny that we'd be some 10-12 points better off last season if we had Given keeping our goals instead of our clowns. Incidentally, that was the difference between us and the top two.

10. Abs

Abs New Member

I dont know, a keeper like Given cost you more point thats obvious to the naked eye. There are alot of situations he can deal with before they develop, but because he's not commanding in his area, once a ball comes in the penalty area and he doesnt deal with it, and there's a goal after a scramble between the defenders and strikers, he doesnt get any blame as people usually remember the last person that dealt with the ball before it was scored.

11. Sover

Sover New Member

Not really that surprising that he was highly praised by his own managers is it?

AW on Almunia
    "I think we have two world-class goalkeepers, Fabianski and him."

Doesn't make it true.

Given was maybe not so immense for Ireland when they drew 2-2 with Italy as the first italian goal in that game was his fault too.

I'll pin my hopes on Frey

12. ricky1985

ricky1985 Active Member Elite

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Schwarzer is a good enough goalkeeper to be our Number 1 - I'm just saying in my opinion there's not a great deal of difference between him and Given.

13. Arai

Arai Moderator Moderator

Link

Hmmm.... :roll:

14. CandysRoom

CandysRoom New Member Trusted

However it works out... I ****ing loves the transfer window. Makes my very soul tingle in ways my missus never will be able to make me :)

15. Armor for Sleep

Armor for Sleep New Member Elite

Interesting. :bounce

16. Humble Rex

Humble Rex New Member

Please, be true! Frey would be a good piece of business for us.

17. True Gooner

True Gooner New Member Elite

Knowing us,

18. entropy13

entropy13 New Member

Eh? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around, since the most obvious is usually not the true target.

19. True Gooner

True Gooner New Member Elite

I'll admit, I didn't think it through.

Apart from the media putting 2+2 together, is there any reason to believe we're in for Frey? Would make it a superb window if this worked out.

20. Godsend_Gooner

Godsend_Gooner New Member

Exactly, more than the media I think most of us are putting 2+2 together. He could be a potential target for many other clubs as well.

There have been no links at all. I doubt a player of Frey's calibre and reputation would have selected/negotiated with a club without the media having slightest of a hint.

Wenger needs to make his plans for the goalkeeping position clear in the coming days. We dont want to start with either of those clowns in goal come the start of the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.