Sébastien Frey

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by JazzG, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Sebastien Frey

Even that link is just adding two and two together. There is nothing yet that conclusively states that we are in for Frey.

2. Re: Sebastien Frey

Frey would actually be a step up. Really hoping we get him.

3. entropy13

entropy13 New Member

Re: Sebastien Frey

The first rumors about him this summer was involving Aston Villa. Then they just dissipated.

4. ivansen

ivansen New Member

Maybe he's still going to Villa, and we're getting the highly PL-experienced Friedl?

5. Armor for Sleep

Armor for Sleep New Member Elite

Doubt it.

I don't usually use this phrase but Friedel really was a missed opportunity. Would have been an excellent signing when Villa got him.

6. Goons AFC

Goons AFC New Member

Would be perfect if he came here, but I can't help thinking he's going somewhere else.

7. KY

KY New Member

No links evening mentioning us being linked with an offer for him. This is just getting tedious and desperate.

8. bertlb2

bertlb2 New Member

Is it that difficult to send a few emails and take a couple of phone calls without being caught?

9. Floating

Floating New Member Trusted

My thoughts are that Fiorentina have a deal in the works with another club for Frey right now. Much like our deal for Koscielny was contingent upon them signing and officially announcing his replacement - Bruno Ecuele Manga.

They wouldn't sign Boruc just in case they lose Frey. They most likely wanted to sign Boruc first before finalizing negotiations for Frey, so that they have a quality replacement already lined up.

Think about it: Which top club needs a goalkeeper? Which club favors French players? Which club prefers to go about all of their negotiations in secrecy for the good of both clubs and the player?

It could be Arsenal. It could also be United, or a team like Valencia.

Just speculating here. :)

10. GunnerSince79

GunnerSince79 New Member

I agree, this would be the best deal done int he transfer window. They are not signing a Polish international to warm the bench. Boruc is a great keeper and was idolised at Parkhead. He wont be going there to be number 2.
    Frey would be Arsenal to the core. A bit mad, which helps and full of experience. It would be a big way for him to get back into the International scene also.

11. asajoseph

asajoseph New Member Elite

Fiorentina deny that Frey is for sale:

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808623&sec=transfers&cc=5739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5739</a>

Bit odd, really...

12. Godsend_Gooner

Godsend_Gooner New Member

If they contact the player first, its tapping up. I doubt anyone let alone us would do that. And if the club has be een contacted we would have heard some statement from the club to drive up his price.

Or from his agent.

13. USArsenal

USArsenal H.Y.I.C. Administrator

a load of sh*t TBH.. no way they are going to sign a keeper like Boruc (who would be a starter in many teams) if they were planning on keeping Frey.. dont think Boruc would transfer to a team knowing he would be second fiddle

14. KY

KY New Member

Well Goal.com claims we're blazing a new trail for Frey's signature. but then, it's goal.com so i'm not even bothered to paste the link...

15. USArsenal

USArsenal H.Y.I.C. Administrator

we need a keeper, Frey is a keeper that could be available.. of course they are linking us to him..

i would take Frey over Schwarzer any day of the week and twice on Sunday

16. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

Yes there is a very good reason as the top clubs i.e. us, united and Liverpool have been blessed with the likes of Dudek, Jens and Van Der Saar whilst Given was at a top 4 club Newcastle. Chelsea decided on Cech but I am pretty confident if they failed in getting him Given wouldn't have been too far down the list.

When Man City wanted to join the elite 4 they brought you guessed it - Shay Given! Givens quality infact one of the best shotstoppers i've ever seen and the 3rd best premiership keeper ever for me behind Schmiecal and Seaman. Frey is a similar style of keeper but if we are going for a shotstopper I would much prefer Akinfeev.

17. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

Frey would be a good signing though.

18. darthwenger

darthwenger New Member

You should get yourself over to the Schwarzer forum - seems I'm the only guy over there that wants Frey over Schwarzer - madness!

19. Re: Sebastien Frey

Stop overreacting due to people's opinions.

Nobody and I mean nobody wants Schwarzer over Frey. Each and every person writing something positive about Schwarzer over there would happily take Frey instead.

It's just that there has not been a single quote or credible link that suggests we might be looking to sign him. Whereas our interest in Schwarzer is well established and according to some unsubstantiated sources, it is as good as a done deal.

All that some people are pointing out over there is that Schwarzer might not exactly be the disaster that Almunia was and will be, if we sign no other goalkeeper.

And just as you find anybody choosing Schwarzer over Frey ridiculous(nobody has done it, actually), a few others think that claims of Schwarzer not being an improvement over Almunia, after last season, are off the mark.

20. caldeltatrojan

caldeltatrojan New Member

Nail, meet head. Top post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.