• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sébastien Frey

Status
Not open for further replies.

entropy13

Established Member
Re: Sebastien Frey

The first rumors about him this summer was involving Aston Villa. Then they just dissipated.

ivansen

Maybe he's still going to Villa, and we're getting the highly PL-experienced Friedl?

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

Doubt it.

I don't usually use this phrase but Friedel really was a missed opportunity. Would have been an excellent signing when Villa got him.

KY

Established Member

No links evening mentioning us being linked with an offer for him. This is just getting tedious and desperate.

bertlb2

Godsend_Gooner said:
I doubt a player of Frey's calibre and reputation would have selected/negotiated with a club without the media having slightest of a hint.

Is it that difficult to send a few emails and take a couple of phone calls without being caught?

Floating

Established Member

My thoughts are that Fiorentina have a deal in the works with another club for Frey right now. Much like our deal for Koscielny was contingent upon them signing and officially announcing his replacement - Bruno Ecuele Manga.

They wouldn't sign Boruc just in case they lose Frey. They most likely wanted to sign Boruc first before finalizing negotiations for Frey, so that they have a quality replacement already lined up.

Think about it: Which top club needs a goalkeeper? Which club favors French players? Which club prefers to go about all of their negotiations in secrecy for the good of both clubs and the player?

It could be Arsenal. It could also be United, or a team like Valencia.

Just speculating here. :)

GunnerSince79

I agree, this would be the best deal done int he transfer window. They are not signing a Polish international to warm the bench. Boruc is a great keeper and was idolised at Parkhead. He wont be going there to be number 2.
Frey would be Arsenal to the core. A bit mad, which helps and full of experience. It would be a big way for him to get back into the International scene also.

asajoseph

Established Member

Fiorentina deny that Frey is for sale:

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808623&sec=transfers&cc=5739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5739</a>

Bit odd, really...

Godsend_Gooner

bertlb2 said:
Godsend_Gooner said:
I doubt a player of Frey's calibre and reputation would have selected/negotiated with a club without the media having slightest of a hint.

Is it that difficult to send a few emails and take a couple of phone calls without being caught?

If they contact the player first, its tapping up. I doubt anyone let alone us would do that. And if the club has be een contacted we would have heard some statement from the club to drive up his price.

Or from his agent.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

asajoseph said:
Fiorentina deny that Frey is for sale:

<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808623&sec=transfers&cc=5739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5739</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit odd, really...
a load of sh*t TBH.. no way they are going to sign a keeper like Boruc (who would be a starter in many teams) if they were planning on keeping Frey.. dont think Boruc would transfer to a team knowing he would be second fiddle

KY

Established Member

Well Goal.com claims we're blazing a new trail for Frey's signature. but then, it's goal.com so i'm not even bothered to paste the link...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

we need a keeper, Frey is a keeper that could be available.. of course they are linking us to him..

i would take Frey over Schwarzer any day of the week and twice on Sunday

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Sover said:
Armor for Sleep said:
Schwarzer over Given? :lol:

Absolutely - there is good reason none of the big clubs have ever been interested in Given. A good shot stopper and little else - don't be taken in by the press hype, he is ordinary at best and a liability at worst. His errors last season certainly cost City a place in the champions league.

Yes there is a very good reason as the top clubs i.e. us, united and Liverpool have been blessed with the likes of Dudek, Jens and Van Der Saar whilst Given was at a top 4 club Newcastle. Chelsea decided on Cech but I am pretty confident if they failed in getting him Given wouldn't have been too far down the list.

When Man City wanted to join the elite 4 they brought you guessed it - Shay Given! Givens quality infact one of the best shotstoppers i've ever seen and the 3rd best premiership keeper ever for me behind Schmiecal and Seaman. Frey is a similar style of keeper but if we are going for a shotstopper I would much prefer Akinfeev.

darthwenger

USArsenal said:
we need a keeper, Frey is a keeper that could be available.. of course they are linking us to him..

You should get yourself over to the Schwarzer forum - seems I'm the only guy over there that wants Frey over Schwarzer - madness!

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member

darthwenger said:
USArsenal said:

You should get yourself over to the Schwarzer forum - seems I'm the only guy over there that wants Frey over Schwarzer - madness!

Stop overreacting due to people's opinions.

Nobody and I mean nobody wants Schwarzer over Frey. Each and every person writing something positive about Schwarzer over there would happily take Frey instead.

It's just that there has not been a single quote or credible link that suggests we might be looking to sign him. Whereas our interest in Schwarzer is well established and according to some unsubstantiated sources, it is as good as a done deal.

All that some people are pointing out over there is that Schwarzer might not exactly be the disaster that Almunia was and will be, if we sign no other goalkeeper.

And just as you find anybody choosing Schwarzer over Frey ridiculous(nobody has done it, actually), a few others think that claims of Schwarzer not being an improvement over Almunia, after last season, are off the mark.

caldeltatrojan

Iloveyouarsenewenger said:
darthwenger said:
USArsenal said:

Stop overreacting due to people's opinions.

Nobody and I mean nobody wants Schwarzer over Frey. Each and every person writing something positive about Schwarzer over there would happily take Frey instead.

It's just that there has not been a single quote or credible link that suggests we might be looking to sign him. Whereas our interest in Schwarzer is well established and according to some unsubstantiated sources, it is as good as a done deal.

All that some people are pointing out over there is that Schwarzer might not exactly be the disaster that Almunia was and will be, if we sign no other goalkeeper.

And just as you find anybody choosing Schwarzer over Frey ridiculous(nobody has done it, actually), a few others think that claims of Schwarzer not being an improvement over Almunia, after last season, are off the mark.
Nail, meet head. Top post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom